Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th October 2023, 18:37   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Front suspension strut change.

Two questions please.
I had to remove the suspension strut and hub carrier as one piece, but these are now separated. I'm fitting a complete new strut as I just had one; my question is - is it easier / preferable to fit the strut first or the hub carrier first?
Second question - the tin shield behind the disc is severely rusted and breaking up; I plan to remove it completely. I don't see this being an issue for Mot or anything else but would welcome comments.

Note that this work is on my spare car which is in very poor condition, but as everything works I'm hoping to get another year out of it while doing a proper job on my other 75.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2023, 19:03   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
... my question is - is it easier / preferable to fit the strut first or the hub carrier first?
From my experience Mike, it doesn't matter because you'll have to lift the hub to mate it with the bottom of the strut and the hub is incredibly heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Second question - the tin shield behind the disc is severely rusted and breaking up; I plan to remove it completely.
That's the stone guard which protects the disc from damage and clearly from rapid corrosion as well! I recommend that you fit a replacement whilst you're working on the suspension.

Simon
Old 27th October 2023, 23:35   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
From my experience Mike, it doesn't matter because you'll have to lift the hub to mate it with the bottom of the strut and the hub is incredibly heavy.

That's the stone guard which protects the disc from damage and clearly from rapid corrosion as well! I recommend that you fit a replacement whilst you're working on the suspension.

Simon

Thanks Simon. I'll fit the hub first, connect and check the ABS sensor.
As I don't expect more than 5000 miles and another year out of this car before breaking I'll just remove the stone guard. This brings me to report an issue with my daily driver a couple of years back. Apparenly lost power and was juddering so I stopped to find a front brake not just red-hot, but bright orange, almost white hot. Obviously I wasn't going anywhere but after sitting for half an hour I felt the car start to run backwards, the brake had come free. I carried on with my journey, the brakes have been perfect ever since, I've not replaced anything, mot passed. What caused the problem a don't know, if it was a stone the stone guard certainly didn't work so I've no compuction to keep them.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2023, 14:21   #4
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

My n/s disc guard fell off from rust and I note the main guard is towards the rear of the disc and does not seem to me designed to do much to protect the front. And so may be not actually designed as a stone guard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282599851143

I wonder if the intention behind these guards is in case there is an oil leak or grease off a split CV joint boot/cover

My 3 disc guard screws/bolts are so rusted it will be difficult to get a new one on and I am wondering about making up something my be polythene from a camping food plate or used milk cartons or like material and even cable tie it on to the hub/strut (and may be pull it off for the MOT)
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:35   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Pump some of the fluid through on the calipers. Or change it completely. It wont be any good now its boiled ... Best to sort out the seized caliper issue as well before you do any more miles !! Ok you dont want to spend money on her but , your life is far more important , i would have thought ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote