Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th May 2017, 11:02   #1
MagicMadjeski

Rover 75

Default 1.8 75 Slow Leak - Help!

Hi All,

I seem to be having what I suspect is a slow coolant leak on my 1.8 Non Turbo Club 75. I check the coolant every week and after a 500 mile week, I noticed a drop of half a litre, I topped it back up and been checking every day for the past week (200 miles) and it has dropped, but only slightly.

What does seem to be happening is I'm getting 2 separate puddles under the engine when the car is parked for a few hours. A small one on the drivers side, near the wheel and a larger puddle on the left hand side, towards the back of the engine bay.

The smaller of the two, on the drivers side, I'm assuming is either water pump or inlet manifold but the larger one appears from under the battery so stumped as to where its from. I tried putting some cardboard under the engine bay last night so I could determine whether it is oil, red coolant or clear fluid from say the air conditioning, but I placed it incorrectly so the puddles were on the tarmac. I will try again tonight.

I'm taking it in for an MOT next week, so once it has passed through that (2 front tyres and maybe a surprise), I will ask them to look for this leak and perform a pressure test. In the meantime, any advice on what it could be would be greatly appreciated... I'm also looking at MJS Auto in Littlehampton for this repair work as they're fairly local to me and can come out. I've seen some mixed experiences with them on the forum so any recommendations would help as well.
MagicMadjeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 14:36   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default 1.8 Slight leak

Are you overfilling the header tank? You haven't mentioned the very low level 'max' mark moulded into the bottom of the tank.

The maximum level mark is visible through the pressure cap hole, and well below the cap and moulded into the base of the tank,- not 'just under the cap' or 'on top of the internal side-ribs'.

If you are filling above this mark, the excess is being forced out through the header tank relief valve and down through the piping to your puddles seen on the ground.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 15:25   #3
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

To check for IMG leakage get yourself a sheet of kitchen roll and squeeze it length wise and reach in behind the bottom of the gasket and press the kitchen roll against the bottom of the gasket area. Any leakage will be seen on the kitchen roll.
Old 25th May 2017, 16:54   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Do you have a full size undertray fitted? if so, then it will be difficult to find the leak using your described method as any water would spread across it, if not, then as yella fella suggests, feel or place absorbent paper under the rear of the inlet manifold. Normally that leak only happens when cold as when hot, the parts all expand and block it.

Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 14:43   #5
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

The aircon also leaves a couple of drainage puddles at the rear of the engine so make sure you eliminate that as a cause too.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 14:48   #6
MagicMadjeski

Rover 75

Default Now won't hold water / coolant

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have just got round to using the car today to give her a run before MOT and noticed the fan kicked in on a 30 mile trip. Temp gauge (which I understand is useless) stayed the same and didn't increase but something was not right.

Pulled over to check the coolant levels and poof, all gone! So I top it back up but the tank drains it immediately but there is no sign of a leak. In total, I topped up 3 litres of fluid and it all vanished somewhere into the system.

I'm assuming Water pump right about now?
Old 11th June 2017, 15:57   #7
MagicMadjeski

Rover 75

So my beauty is back on the road!

Bit expensive, but worth every penny. I had a HGF on 2 and 4 which was causing the leak straight though, hence the lack of puddles under the car.

So work completed was;

Head skimmed
Cambelt
Water Pump
4 spark plugs
Thermostat and housing unit
Temperature sensor
Oil and Filter change
Master service
MOT
Air Con regas

Now the car is in perfect condition and had a couple of offers for it from mechanics at the garage. I'm hoping with the new saver head on it and only 63,000 miles on the clock, she will last me for years to come.
Old 11th June 2017, 16:05   #8
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Glad you have sorted your problems out. From the list of work you have done on her, she should take you many a mile in comfort and style !!
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 11:34   #9
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMadjeski View Post
Hi All,

I seem to be having what I suspect is a slow coolant leak on my 1.8 Non Turbo Club 75. I check the coolant every week and after a 500 mile week, I noticed a drop of half a litre, I topped it back up and been checking every day for the past week (200 miles) and it has dropped, but only slightly.

What does seem to be happening is I'm getting 2 separate puddles under the engine when the car is parked for a few hours. A small one on the drivers side, near the wheel and a larger puddle on the left hand side, towards the back of the engine bay.

The smaller of the two, on the drivers side, I'm assuming is either water pump or inlet manifold but the larger one appears from under the battery so stumped as to where its from. I tried putting some cardboard under the engine bay last night so I could determine whether it is oil, red coolant or clear fluid from say the air conditioning, but I placed it incorrectly so the puddles were on the tarmac. I will try again tonight.

I'm taking it in for an MOT next week, so once it has passed through that (2 front tyres and maybe a surprise), I will ask them to look for this leak and perform a pressure test. In the meantime, any advice on what it could be would be greatly appreciated... I'm also looking at MJS Auto in Littlehampton for this repair work as they're fairly local to me and can come out. I've seen some mixed experiences with them on the forum so any recommendations would help as well.
Did you ever find out what the 2 puddles were? My 1.8 non turbo had new head/ gasket/ water pump etc 4 years ago. Now losing coolant, put 200mls in this morning to bring it back to max level. Moved car, 2 puddles as you described. Just taken for a short drive, got up to normal temp, despite the heat I did not turn air con on. Parked up in a different space and went out 1/2 hour later and 2 small puddles, any suggestions?
Thanks.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 12:18   #10
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Did you ever find out what the 2 puddles were? My 1.8 non turbo had new head/ gasket/ water pump etc 4 years ago. Now losing coolant, put 200mls in this morning to bring it back to max level. Moved car, 2 puddles as you described. Just taken for a short drive, got up to normal temp, despite the heat I did not turn air con on. Parked up in a different space and went out 1/2 hour later and 2 small puddles, any suggestions?
Thanks.
Just gone back out to car after moving it yet again. Could the 2 small & still dripping slowly, puddles be from the plenums as I went through Gold car wash last night.
On a second note, took oil filler cap off, does hot oil steam? Never noticed it before!
Hope it,s not the head gasket again only done 12,000 miles ago.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote