Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th October 2016, 14:47   #1
QuestionMark
Regular poster

LHD Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Conn auto 2002

Default Rover 75 Tourer - roof lining questions

Hi

I have two leaks in the back of my Tourer above the roof lining. One is a water leak from the outside, the other is a washer fluid leak from the hose going to the washer jet.

So I need to gain access to the roof and the top side of the roof lining. Google tells me that a few people have removed the roof lining, but that seems unnecessary in my case - so I was thinking I could just remove the rearmost pillar trims, remove the light and undo the two clips. Then I'd be able to pull (bend) the roof lining down without having to remove the whole thing from the car. But the roof lining is still stuck to the roof somehow!

I get the impression from others that after removing all the pillar trims, handles, sun visors etc, it's a fairly straight forward thing to remove the roof lining. But mine almost seems to be glued to the roof along the sides. Is this glue, or just the case of materials being pressed against one another for such a long time that they stick? Do I just give it a tug or could something be damaged? And is the roof lining flexible enough for my plan to bend it down to work, or do you think I have to remove it completely?

I hope someone knows the answers to these questions!

Cheers
QuestionMark
QuestionMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 14:56   #2
andre372
Gets stuck in

2001 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT manual Royal Blue (JFM)

It is straightforward. Once you remove all the lights, handles etc, it's only the door and tailgate seals that hold it up.
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors
andre372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 15:27   #3
QuestionMark
Regular poster

That's what I read too, from others (and Haynes). But mine sticks to the roof to the point where it seems glued, so maybe a mechanic has taken liberties while fixing something for a previous owner, I don't know.

How about the flexibility? Should I be able to bend it down enough to gain access, or is it completely stiff?
Old 14th October 2016, 15:27   #4
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile Tourer Roof Lining Removal

Hello Questionmark,

I started to compose my reply before the above reply had been entered.

I took my roof lining down last year to cure a vibration above it and from memory, it is very stiff, due to the curved edges along the sides and also across the front and rear ends. However, whilst it is very large, it is not very heavy, once released

Besides the rear and middle lights, there is the netting cross-bar sockets aligned with the "C" post either side, the roof edge mounted grab handles- front and rear, or the blanks above the driver, either side.Then there are the mouldings coming down from the roof liner on the "A", "B",and "C" posts either side, because they are "outside" the roof liner at the top.

It may be possible to have the middle to rear end of the liner pivoting on the front light unit and the sun visors, but I released them all, taking photos as I undid each part and marked them with a light-coloured insulation tape and biro/marker pen. Finally, one thing I have not mentioned yet is the body seal for the tailgate, although most Tourers I have seen all seem to have the edge of the liner drooping below the edge of the seal.

As the previous entry said, it's pretty straight forward, but you need to make sure all the fixing points are free. Once the lining is out of the way, you can then sort out your water /washer leaks.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 15:52   #5
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Thank you for your detailed answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
[...] taking photos as I undid each part and marked them with a light-coloured insulation tape and biro/marker pen.
Maybe I fail to understand something, but why mark them? Doesn't everything come together the way it was on its own? Screws, sun visors, handles, lights all have holes or fixed spots they go into, no?

Btw, can you help me make sense of this quote? It's from an old post on another forum:

"Finally got around to fitting my roof mounted DAB aerial today. This involves removing the headlining.
Mr Haynes covers a lot of it but not all...........! He forgets to tell you to unplug and remove the dipping mirror if you have one, so that you can unplug the rain sensor.....again, if you have one.
He also forgets to tell you to unplug the big white plug tucked into the driver's side A Pillar. This connects the headlining loom to the main loom."

Does "dipping" mean "dimming"? Because I have that, as well as a rain sensor - did you have to do those? And do you know the white plug he talks about?

Cheers!
Old 14th October 2016, 20:25   #6
andre372
Gets stuck in

2001 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT manual Royal Blue (JFM)

I didn't know where to start so I started by uploading all of the photos I took 2 years ago, maybe you'll see something that helps:

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/andr...?sort=9&page=1

Yes, by dipping he meant the auto-dimming rear view mirror. The headlining loom is glued to the headlining, so in order to remove the headlining you'd have to disconnect the rain sensor, auto-dimming mirror etc, just as you disconnect all the interior lights.
The white plug he talks about can be a black plug on older cars (or vica versa, don't know, mine's black). That's the connector that connects the headlining loom to the car's loom and is located behing the right hand A-pillar trim.

This only matters if you want to completely remove the headlining. If you only need access to the rear, just disassemble the trims and lights from the rear only.

In fact, I've had the rear part of the headlining "loose" for a few weeks now, to find a leak with a camera (didn't find it by the way - bone dry), only held up by the 2 rear clips and tailgate seal at the moment.

I only removed the rearmost light and the luggage net sockets (well, the D-pillar trims, too, but I've had these off for several months now).

The headlining is flexible enough, but to be sure not to crease it, you might find it is necessary to remove the C-pillar trims and rear handles and light as well, to be on the safe side.

I've no idea why anyone would have glued the headlining to the roof If that's the case, you should be able the release it, being very careful.
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors

Last edited by andre372; 14th October 2016 at 20:31.. Reason: updated link
andre372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:13   #7
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Hi guys,

I'm sorry I haven't been following up on the thread. I've been both busy and sick this past week. Anyway, yesterday I managed to get the headlining out! Thank you so much for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre372 View Post
I didn't know where to start so I started by uploading all of the photos I took 2 years ago, maybe you'll see something that helps:

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/andr...?sort=9&page=1
This did indeed help, I really appreciate the effort!

Quote:
The white plug he talks about can be a black plug on older cars (or vica versa, don't know, mine's black). That's the connector that connects the headlining loom to the car's loom and is located behing the right hand A-pillar trim.
I found the plug, mine was black as well (2002 model), and it was a son of a b*tch to get to. How on Earth is the A-pillar trim supposed to come off?? The metal clips that go into the pillar holes absolutely refused to come out! I had to completely destroy them with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers So now I'm worried that I won't be able to refit the trim properly. After all of that, I saw that the plug was tucked as far as possible into the corner of the windscreen - barely visible and impossible to reach with your hands. So I had to get creative with assorted tools to pull it out... Phew.

Quote:
In fact, I've had the rear part of the headlining "loose" for a few weeks now, to find a leak with a camera (didn't find it by the way - bone dry), only held up by the 2 rear clips and tailgate seal at the moment.
I can relate. I've had ALL the trim in my boot (except the headlining) out for half a year now, trying to find leaks (granted, I've kept procrastinating the job). I've fixed two leaks already, and then there are these other two - and the outside water leak is playing games with me. It shows up when there's melting snow on the car's roof, when I use a water sprinkler, and occasionally when it rains. Other times when it rains it doesn't show up, nor does it show up if I hose down the car with a garden hose

Quote:
The headlining is flexible enough, but to be sure not to crease it, you might find it is necessary to remove the C-pillar trims and rear handles and light as well, to be on the safe side.
I found that I even had to remove the B-pillar trims and front handles to gain enough access, and at that point I figured I might as well remove the entire thing.

Quote:
I've no idea why anyone would have glued the headlining to the roof If that's the case, you should be able the release it, being very careful.
Apparently the headlining had partially fused into the rear side window sealant, but I managed to carefully rip it off.

I found out where the washer fluid comes from though, but I don't think I can fix it without removing the hose between the washer jet and the point where it goes into the roof (that's where it drips down). Do you know how I'd do that?
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:15   #8
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

If I go through a car wash it leaks down all three O/S pillars, so either sun roof drain or roof rack channel I reckon. (I'll be paying my MGR garage to take the headlining down...)
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:20   #9
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
If I go through a car wash it leaks down all three O/S pillars, so either sun roof drain or roof rack channel I reckon. (I'll be paying my MGR garage to take the headlining down...)
Why pay a garage.... half a dozen screws and 15 mins...
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:12   #10
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
I took out my roof rack and the bar/trim(?) underneath it in search for a leak myself, and there was no possible entrance for water at all as far as I could tell. It's all solid metal, and the holes which the bolts screw into are "enclosed" / they have a bottom - if you understand what I'm saying. I'm not 100% sure though, because there's a body joint in the back by the tailgate, and I can slightly recall somebady talking about them cracking up and leaking. It's no problem to take a look, but I'd be surprised if the leaks were there.

I don't have a sun roof, so I wouldn't know about that though.

Taking down the headlining wasn't that hard actually, if you have some common sense and know how to use a screwdriver For me, the worst part was the A-pillar trim panel and the connector behind it. If you have a Haynes it'll go a long way, and you can always ask for help! I'd suggest you give it a go!

Edit: If you do attempt to do it yourself, beware of the heated rear side window connector (seen by the blue box in andre372's photos). I didn't notice that one, and only luck made it disconnect without being damaged).

Edit 2: I can post some photos if that's of any interest.

Last edited by QuestionMark; 23rd October 2016 at 22:32..