Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th November 2015, 09:29   #1
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Tourer tailgate window release fires main tailgate, any ideas??

Bought a 75 tourer 05 plate, its great but the tailgate window doesn't open, instead operating the tailgate window release under the wiper fires the main tailgate lock, whats happening here? any ideas??

V
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 20:37   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile

Hello Mangizmo,

I saw your entry this morning and started to answer it but decided that someone else might be able to help you better than me. Seeing no other volunteers, here goes.

I have a spare tailgate window and the cabling is as set out below.

The cables and water hose for the tailgate washer water supply come through the twin inverted "V" flexible weather covers are:-

Black water hose with white plastic bullet connector.

A small connector with 4 cables - Blue, green ( may be black), white,
black, numbered in the connector respectively, 1,2,3,4.

A larger connector with two wires, Thick brown and thinner black,. for the
window demisting element. Your problem is not here.

The four cables from the smaller connector go through the frame to the
wiper/ window lock module. I suspect your problem is here.

What does the lock release lever (inside the rubber weather pad under the number plate shroud do? Does this release the glass lock or not?

It's the smaller connector where your trouble is. (Or someone has been there before and "moved the cables around between the four. If your connector cables are the same as mine, then we need to look elsewhere.)

What does the lock release lever (inside the rubber weather pad) under the number plate shroud do? Does this release the glass lock or not?

If still no luck, you will need to remove the whole of the tailgate inner lining - spring clips around the outer edge and two screws inside the drop-down cover where the safety triangle was to be stored. Inside the drop down cover, there is a pull-out plastic strip connected to a plastic chord, but this is the mechanical release for the main tailgate lock.

Once this inner panel is removed you should be able to see the wiper motor/ lock module from underneath. There should be four cables here, the window lock feed, tailgate lock feed, wiper motor feed, and earth for all three. Has one of these come adrift and the other put in it's place? Does your wiper motor work. If so, then I am lost for ideas. I can't find anything about locks on my **** disk

I normally accessed the module through the opened window, carefully removing the two plugs either end of the moon shaped cover and then lifting the cover off to give access, but you can't do this, can you?

I will have a look in my Haynes book later. I seem to remember a diagram for the locks there.

Last edited by Dragrad; 8th November 2015 at 22:37.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2 ;-(
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 09:53   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Cables can get damaged on the RHS hinge where the run from the tailgate into the car
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 10:45   #4
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hello Mangizmo,

I saw your entry this morning and started to answer it but decided that someone else might be able to help you better than me. Seeing no other volunteers, here goes.

OK quick reply to say thanks for a good answer, BOTH the window release button AND the tailgate button release the tailgate lock, neither release the window, the wiper functions normally as does the demister, I will have a good look at your info and study my car tomorrow and report back.....thanks again V

Last edited by Mangizmo; 9th November 2015 at 11:00..
Old 10th November 2015, 16:29   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
OK quick reply to say thanks for a good answer, BOTH the window release button AND the tailgate button release the tailgate lock, neither release the window, the wiper functions normally as does the demister, I will have a good look at your info and study my car tomorrow and report back.....thanks again V
Sounds like the ZCS coding is set on the BCU for that of a saloon to me

Does your rear wiper work?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 16:43   #6
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Sounds like the ZCS coding is set on the BCU for that of a saloon to me

Does your rear wiper work?

Brian
Yes wiper works fine, I hadn't considered a software cause, all the wiring etc looks fine, needs to be checked by a T4 I guess?
Old 10th November 2015, 16:55   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
Yes wiper works fine, I hadn't considered a software cause, all the wiring etc looks fine, needs to be checked by a T4 I guess?
Have a look at the BCU, it should bear the part number YAC001521, oh and a long press of the unlock button should open the tailgate glass

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 18:39   #8
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Have a look at the BCU, it should bear the part number YAC001521, oh and a long press of the unlock button should open the tailgate glass

Brian
Just tried, a long press does the same, it fires the tailgate, strange
Old 9th January 2016, 13:25   #9
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Oh sweet success, almost everything now works

As suggested the problem was that the BCU was the incorrect one for the car (or duff)? , I have been told that I should have a YWC106880 HIGH, as a temp fix I have fitted a BCU with coded in remote boards YWC001150 (£25 on ebay for the set) which makes everything work properly apart from the rear electric windows as it was designed for a car with windy rear uns
I have obtained a YWC106880 and have asked a forum member if he would be good enough to confirm this is the correct one and code in two new remotes, the one that was fitted was a YWCR001522, not sure why that didnt work properly, either incorrect for the car or faulty even?
Loads of stuff wasnt right, not just the rear window but tailgate operation when locked sounded alarm, rear demist had a mind of its own, intermittent wipers were not right and central locking was unpredictable, always unlocked but wouldnt always lock until I switched ignition to position 1 and off again and then it worked again, it looks to me like YWCR001522 was from a saloon not a tourer but who knows??, anyhow, just thought I would update this thread
PS the glove box had definitely been out previously, so I am pretty certain it wasnt the original BCU

Last edited by Mangizmo; 9th January 2016 at 13:32..
Old 9th January 2016, 13:51   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Thanks for the update, interesting.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote