Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd September 2015, 09:38   #1
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default Notices Banner

Many thanks to the Forum Team for your birthday wishes on the top banner.

I spent yesterday afternoon raising my car up on wooden blocks to do a pre winter check up on all the corrosion spots on my Tourer. The MoT is not due until the first week in January, but then, it is too cold to be under the car. Even when I have it done in the allowed month before, it is still too cold then.

I had hoped to have already removed all the wheel arch covers and checked for corrosion, particularly the rear arches in light of Rich17865 (from the NW Group)'s, entry on the corrosion he found and his treatment. I was planning on doing it earlier in the year, but the lack of hot weather to help keep the Waxoyl fluid I was going to use, has resulted in it not being done. I had purchased the full application kit - pressure can hoses and cavity lance. on e-Bay about a year ago, for less than 1/2 price, but reading other recent forum entries on Waxoyl's odour and long setting time, I am considering the other alternatives. I suppose now it will be impossible to get it fluid enough for use.

Whilst underneath the car, I did check the securing bolts for the fuel tank securing straps, and they are all free from the grip of corrosion. From what I can see of the straps, I think I will be able to remove them next week when the fuel level/weight is low, supporting the tank on more blocks, to avoid movement/strain on the pipework, to check the hidden sides, de-rust as needed, paint with some black smooth Hammerite, then waxoyl and replace.

Hopefully I won't need a replacement cradle, of whatever material is available, the newly available stainless or the original mild steel.

The exposed brake pipes seem to be relatively corrosion-free, including the hard to get at places coming round the side of the boot base/wheel carrier.

I have already tried to fire up the FBH. Found the battery in the remote starter fob was flat. Now replaced with a new one and the FBH fires up remotely, and it's link to the cabin heater fan. So all ready on that front.

I have no liquid leaks, anywhere, although one of the inner steering gaiter's plastic 'jubilee clips' was allowing a small weapage that just wetted the metal tube outside the clip.That has already been replaced with a proper jubilee clip.

So, Here's to another year, for both me and my car (12 years old now, coming up to six year's ownership of my second Rover 75. I had the first one for 4 years)).

Regards to Vindaloo and all the regulars at the 'Stretton Meet'. See you there in October

Thanks again for the message.

Geoff.

Last edited by GeoffWW; 22nd September 2015 at 09:57..
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:42   #2
Ken Lion
Gets stuck in

R75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

Belated happy birthday Geoff.
What better way to spend it than under the Rover.
Ken Lion is offline   Reply With Quote