Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th February 2015, 16:41   #1
smeegol
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Default newbie with no idea about window problem

I recently asked for a full valet after buying an 04 plate 75 connoisseur 2.0 cdti
The idiots jet washed the interior to my dismay and soaked the car.
It took a week to dry and now only my passenger window works via the passenger switch. If i try and use switches from drivers side there is nothing.
I removed the drivers switch and dismantled it as described on here. rubbed terminals with eraser and put back together.
The windows will open if i first hold the switch with the ignition off , then turn on ignition. I then have to turn off ignition , hold switch again and turn on ignition to close.
None of the back windows work off their switches either.
I have looked all over the internet and quite a lot on here but i am stuck.
Thank you

Last edited by smeegol; 6th February 2015 at 17:00.. Reason: forgot car details
smeegol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 17:11   #2
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Welcome to the forum mate. I dont know the answer to you problem....because I've never heard of anyone stupid enough to "wash" the inside of a car. Actually I have but that was 30 yrs ago in the African bush and he didnt know any better.

If I were you I'd be thinking about taking this idiot to court. I cannot see you ever getting this car completely right again.

Sorry.

Good luck with it though. The good news is, you have come to the right place for help.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 17:19   #3
smeegol
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

I could believe it myself when after 40 minutes i returned to what looked like a clean car.I was at girlfriends in darlington but i live 110 miles away in salford. I asked them to clean the seats as they smelt bad from the previous owner and his dog.I thought they would dry clean them. They were soaked.
I had other electrical problems in the following days when i returned home including :
The central locking opening and closing itself, so i removed the fuse to keep the car closed.
The alarm going off during the night, so removed fuse.
The window is still ongoing and not fuse related.
As stated they work with ignition in off position and button depressed the ignition switched on then repeat to close
Thanks jonathan63
smeegol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 21:52   #4
Santara man
Avid contributor

2004 Rover75 Tourer

I suspect if the idiots used a jet wash I would think the switches on the inside of the door that operates your windows and locking system will have been soaked and still be holding moisture causing short circuit or a reverse polarity.
I would be removing the door card and checking the internal switch mechanism for wettnes.
If they used detergent this would eventualy crystalise when it dries gumming up the switches.
Old 6th February 2015, 22:03   #5
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara man View Post
I suspect if the idiots used a jet wash I would think the switches on the inside of the door that operates your windows and locking system will have been soaked and still be holding moisture causing short circuit or a reverse polarity.
I would be removing the door card and checking the internal switch mechanism for wettnes.
If they used detergent this would eventualy crystalise when it dries gumming up the switches.
I'd sue the valeting company Unbelievable

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 22:34   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Just a thought here,if they did a full valet,and jet washed the engine bay, Imwonder if the ecu is having a prolonged bath. Frank,check your plenums, the cover on the bulkhead above the brake fluid master cylinder,remove it AMD shine a torch towards the pssenger side,if there is a pool of water, then the ecu needs removing IMMEDIATELY,AMD contact member Marinabrian for help. He can repair ecu ,or if it's beyond that replace it for you at much less than main dealer price. If chamber is dry,then must be the switches.
Old 6th February 2015, 23:43   #7
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Was this a professional valet company or the typical £5 hand wash chappies that you find everywhere these days? If a professional company then I'd certainly look at getting compensation threatening legal action if necessary. If the £5 type then best bet is some large mates to go with you and hang around when you go back to 'talk' to them. (cough)

Yet another reason for diy or 'break it yourself' as it's sometimes otherwise known: At least the only idiot to blame would be yourself.

I agree it's worth checking the plenum as your car is a diesel (The ECU is more prone to flood damage, and is situated on the passenger side in the plenum area). and also check for wetness in the door switches and window regulators and then around the BCU (Body control unit, behind the glovebox). Not sure what sort of idiots would take a hosepipe let alone a pressure washer any further into a car than the doorshuts . I'd also check to see how wet the carpet lining is, it's quite thick on these and if it's drenched will be almost impossible to dry out without removing from the car, especially at this time of year (there is other wiring down there as well such as side impact sensors iirc). It will probably be worth getting one of the T4 guys to look at it for you if it doesn't help with drying it out. BigRuss might be your closest, Phil-T4 is down this way on the Northants/Beds border and MarinaBrian up in the North East (other T4 operators are around, there's a map of them somewhere).

Hope you get it sorted soon, and get some comeback on the cowboys

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 6th February 2015 at 23:45.. Reason: You wouldn't believe I write software for a living - the number of typos is astonishing!
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 00:05   #8
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Was this a professional valet company or the typical £5 hand wash chappies that you find everywhere these days? If a professional company then I'd certainly look at getting compensation threatening legal action if necessary. If the £5 type then best bet is some large mates to go with you and hang around when you go back to 'talk' to them. (cough)
Hope you get it sorted soon, and get some comeback on the cowboys
The Club cannot condone the action indicated above, but on a personal note, an approach to the "company" that washed your car inside and out would be a good idea, albeit a 100 miles away Claim the travel as well... surely there must be some justice for their actions

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 06:03   #9
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I would pull the battery and disconnect the bcu and make sure that it and all other parts round the passenger footwell were completely dry run a fan heater into the area for an hour or two and ensure lots of fresh air
Old 7th February 2015, 06:26   #10
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

If you want to pop over to crewe, I will happily take a look for you
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote