Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd January 2015, 16:42   #1
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts
Default Test Drive

I have just returned after test driving a Vauxhall Insignia diesel.

What I wanted to be able to say was I was disappointed, but no it was very smooth and civilised with no more cabin noise intrusion than a 75 diesel.

The driving position was good, the seats firm, and there were lots of nice trinkets to keep me occupied whilst driving.

But the best part of all, was the lack of blind spot which for me at least is the Achilles heel of the R40, doesn't matter where I position the driver seat on the 75, the windscreen A-Pillar always interrupts my field of view when approaching roundabouts.

The pedals are sensibly located, the information available from the "IPK" leaves the 75 looking very spartan by comparison.

The downside being the size of the rear window, were more than compensated for by a cavernous boot space.

In more than a few respects, it ticked the boxes for me, and I reckon this would have been akin to what the replacement for the 75 may have evolved into had Rover not collapsed.

While the styling is not as curvaceous as a 75, I would have to say this would be a more than worthy successor to the 75.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:46   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

My Dad ( LittleDeeps ) on here is looking at selling his ZT and buying a Vauxhall Insignia as the replacement .
He praised it in much the same way, the only thing that surprised him was the lack of parking sensors as standard!
Not an expensive retrofit though so not a deal breaker
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:47   #3
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

I like em.
rosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:47   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Great car in SRi specification. I've driven one and quietly impressed. A very modern cabin and sharp handling from a large car too.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:50   #5
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

What's a Vauxhall
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:54   #6
A19_Graham
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

I drove one a couple of years ago, followed by the Mondeo titanium x sport, and I found it knocked spots of the insignia.

Pleasant enough, just not very inspiring. But that was probably 4 years back now maybe more.

What didn't help the insignia, was the fact it was white and the ford was black
A19_Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:58   #7
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Oh dear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

What I wanted to be able to say was I was disappointed, but no it was very smooth and civilised with no more cabin noise intrusion than a 75 diesel.

The driving position was good, the seats firm, and there were lots of nice trinkets to keep me occupied whilst driving.

But the best part of all, was the lack of blind spot which for me at least is the Achilles heel of the R40, doesn't matter where I position the driver seat on the 75, the windscreen A-Pillar always interrupts field of view when approaching roundabouts.

The pedals are sensibly located, the information available from the "IPK" leaves the 75 looking very spartan by comparison.

The downside being the size of the rear window, were more than compensated for by a cavernous boot space.

In more than a few respects, it ticked the boxes for me, and I reckon this would have been akin to what the replacement for the 75 may have evolved into had Rover not collapsed.

While the styling is not as curvaceous as a 75, I would have to say this would be a more than worthy successor to the 75.

Brian
Glad you liked it Brian but...and a big but...my old work colleague has a brand new one and my daughter's hubbie has one a few years old. Both been nightmares. My daughter's case endless trouble with fault codes, engine lights , funny running all related to the particulate filter thingy! garage job to change a light bulb...even worse than our ones.
Allan , who I worked with for more than ten years, treats himself to a new one every three years. Current one less than 12 months old has been recovered ( full lift..no spare wheel) two alloys wrecked in different pot holes within six weeks. ( different ones! ) Allan was very surprised as he thought both were no worse than average. (Two tyres wrecked £250 each...run flats) and two new alloy wheels. He reckons they must be made of plastic! Twice it has been in for new headlight bulbs. Twice in 12 months. Chargeable jobs too. I would not have paid!
It was also recovered twice when it went into some kind of limp mode..odd with a manual... And on both of these occasions they could find no fault after resetting it. Allan has been a loyal Vauxhall driver for more than twenty years buying new every three. This one is to be his last.
I dare say some will have lovely trouble free motoring but it certainly puts me off every considering an older one at some point. Spend enough time keeping my MG Rovers on the road

I think I like my MG Rovers. At least you know how to either fix it yourself or where to find a Brian or Gary

Must admit though I did like the look and feel of Allan's one when he bought it but all that bother should not occur in new cars. I know from others they are not alone.

Now, a nice Jaguar XF.....mmmmm
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:01   #8
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

It is a cheap and cheerful car to replace the 75, designed for reps on motorways, Vauxhall spent their money on interior for sure, but engines are rough mid range power poor and diesel engines very inflexible depreciation will be catastrophic so buy with care, the choice for me will be an estate, but the 75 will be greatly missed, every time I think about it I fell physically sick, God help us all.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:01   #9
Sidetops

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

But the best part of all, was the lack of blind spot which for me at least is the Achilles heel of the R40, doesn't matter where I position the driver seat on the 75, the windscreen A-Pillar always interrupts my field of view when approaching roundabouts.

Brian

If you thought that was good, then try one of these. Apparently its better on many levels (not that I'm biased!)

Sidetops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:03   #10
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I did like them.

I liked them when they came out, now I think they look dated and bland. The Cabrio one was nice but no good in the UK. I've worked on them a few times and I don't think they are built well, just to a price.
My view of them is that if I lined a hundred of them up and looked down the line, I'd wonder what the attraction was. If I did the same with a hundred mixed 75's and ZT's I'd know, and it's not just Rose tints! I'm a Cortina man through and through so I'm not too biased in favour of the Rover/MG, I just think we still haven't seen the best years of them, maybe we will never live to see them but others will.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote