Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th August 2014, 17:01   #1
JT667

Default Tourer - Rear Window locked shut

What started with a task to replace the rear wiper motor has developed into a major problem for me. When I first closed the rear window, the lug did not engage with the hole in the moving plate on the motor assembly. I then found I could not open the window and established that the locking mechanism for the window had activated and was not disengaging when the key was pressed. Think I would take the motor back out again, I find one screw that can only be reached with the window open (I now have a chicken/egg situation). Thinking that I could detach the locking mechanism from the wiper motor assembly, I found I could still not remove the assembly from the car. Now the real issue is that I notice that the wires the provide the feed/signal for the locking mechanism had come out of the plastic holder and I do not know what order they should be – this item may the cause of the failure to unlock in the first place. I have two immediate questions;
1. Which wire goes where (see photo)?
2. Is this locking mechanism easily replaced (if I could get it out) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140829_121446.jpg (137.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 30th August 2014, 10:53   #2
JT667

Default clarification

In case it is not clear from picture, the wires came out of the plug and I am trying to ascertain if I have put them back in correct position.
Old 31st August 2014, 09:37   #3
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Hello JT667,

I have seen your above e-mail with no replies, so I have just taken the black lower inner lining off the tailgate and viewed mine from the outside, with the tailgate closed and the window open. The connector is straight in front of me to the left end of the lock/wiper unit.

The pink connector can take FOUR wires but only three are used.
With the connector in place in the socket on the motor, mine is as follows:-
The nearest hole to me is not used.
The second hole away from me is the yellow lead
The third hole away from me is the earth black
The fourth, furthest from me is white and green.

Sorry I could not leave a photo, I don't know how to upload yet, and the above gives you want you need to know much quicker.

Best of luck in refitting your wires

Geoff.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 09:43   #4
JT667

Many thanks GeoffWW, I know what a fiddly job it is getting the lining on and off, much appreciated. Of to see if I can get this sorted and at least unlock the window so I can gain access to the final nut on the wiper motor
Old 31st August 2014, 13:08   #5
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

If you can get to the window catch motor there is a release catch in a small hole by one of the mounting bolts, stick something in the hole and slide the catch.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 14:13   #6
JT667

Default Releasing the window lock

Thanks for that Oldcarguy. unfortunately by the time I read that I had 'bodged' the unit off, perhaps I triggered the release mechanism in the process.
Although I have now got the wires in the correct position the unit did not work so its either the plug socket itself or the locking unit. The wiper motor has not worked for months so I think I will replace both.
Had I have known about the release mechanism I could have easily have activated it as I had the rear trim off.
Old 31st August 2014, 17:58   #7
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Hello again JT667,
I have had my sister visiting me this afternoon, and been unable to keep up with your progress until now).

Sorry I did not mention it before, but having now seen your electrics aren't working, are you aware of the cable release for the window lock?

If you drop down the flap from the centre 'storage box' of the raised tailgate, there is a cable with a moulded end (which looks like a tall letter T slotted into the 'base' towards the the off-side end side of the box) You could release the window by pulling on this cable, once the main tailgate is open. If you already have removed the lower black trim, you should see the cable in the bottom of the door.

Beside the shown connector, have you checked the others on the hinge side of the tailgate, under the light grey (stone) plastic lining. The brown and black is for the screen heater, the other feeds the wiper and window lock.

Failing that, the fuses may be the problem. My Tourer has the small fuses and from the Handbook, fuse No 42 is the rear wiper at 15 amps. The central locking are on the No 1 fuse- 20amps-
If your other door locks are working, then there is a possible bad connection beneath the stone coloured trim.

Have you tried the motor with a different direct feed and earth connection? This will indicate whether the motor is u/s or whether the power supply/ earth is the cause of it not working. The same applies for the lock. From the above you should be able to identify the cause and fix just that,rather than costly guesses which may turn out to expensive mistakes.
Old 9th September 2014, 14:46   #8
JT667

Default Update

An update on my problem as I discover more about the rear wiper setup. I had a spare motor which I installed but the wiper arm would still not move. A bit of stripping down revealed that the wipershaft pivot had seized. Incidently, the motor operates with or without the window open (albeit on an intermittent delay) and I could see that the motor was fine once it was disengaged from the wiper arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
If you can get to the window catch motor there is a release catch in a small hole by one of the mounting bolts, stick something in the hole and slide the catch.
Thanks to GeoffWW, I found that I could release the lock from the window which was also not opening. It seems that the lug on the wipershaft pivot has to 'pop' out into the corresponding hole in the moving blade on the motor mechanism in order for the normal (not centrally locked) button on the rear window to work. As mine had seized slightly off from the 'parked' position, the replacement motor was not engaging the lug.
I have been unable to free up the pivot spindle so I think my next course of action is to source a replacement for that part and hopefully get the whole thing working properly again.
Old 9th September 2014, 16:19   #9
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Hello again JT667,
I have just seen your latest entry with your problem(s).

For the rear wiper, have you taken into account the rotating position ( between the four 'lines') of the wiper "switch" arm, and the end-cap on the arm, as well as the inner "O"marks's alignment.

The setting between the choice of these 4 line 'delays' can have it apparently not working, but suddenly bursting into life after a short time laps. and after that, it only operates for one sweep of the wiper. At the start, the motor normally gives three sweeps then there is 'waiting period' before starting another single sweep.
The first position's time between single sweeps is about 12 seconds, shortening to the final short dashes time of about 4 seconds, by rotating the end button to the next clockwise position.

As regards the lock, you do need to have the parts correctly aligned to have proper engagement/disengagement. As there appears to be very little room for adjustment other than the square hole alignment/penetration of the lock slit on the windows "locking pin", does yours need any very small adjustment?

There is a section in my handbook about the rear wiper. Do you have a handbook?
Hope some of this may be helping you.