Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th July 2014, 19:22   #1
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Default found more to do on my new tourer

Hi
I keep finding issues on my new car, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as it is a hobby that I have neglected recently. On a 1/4 tank my under bonnet diesel pump sounds noisy, not sure if I can hear the one in the tank. Quite happy to replace, it starts/runs fine at the moment, could do with knowing what sort of job it is to replace firstly the in tank pump then the underbonnet. Can someone suggest a good cost effective source for these two pumps. I often buy off ebay, would buy off one of the traders here if thats what is recommended and the price is competitive.

Did the o rings on the intercooler pipe then took out the pcv housing to find nothing in there to inspect and replace, I concluded I had the replacement part fitted that is maintenance free.

the glass in my drivers side wing mirror is shaking a bit, presumably it needs a new glass piece.

the indicator doesn't always allow you to indicate to the right, it doesn't latch itself on. Is this a common problem, I can buy a secondhand one off ebay for a tenner.

long term I will have to do something about the heavy clutch, it was replaced a few years ago with a borg and beck. The hydraulics were renewed as well. How can I obtain a lighter clutch pedal?

any comments and help will be apopreciated.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 21:03   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Answering just your first point about the fuel pumps, your easiest way of dealing with your "problem" is to use the 1/4 full as the time to add fuel.

The tank is 'split' in two halves across the car between the rear wheels. The intank pump is on the off-side half. and pumps the fuel both forwards to the under bonnet pump, and also across to the nearside half of the tank. At 1/4 full, there is little excess fuel to spill back over the middle wier into the offside, and so the pump "runs out of fuel", and starts to rapidly wear out.
Having the 1/4 full as a minimum level seems to prevent the pump problem, and will cost you nothing, only a few extra gallons of fuel in your tank.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 21:33   #3
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

On your mirror shaking problem, first question is, -is the mirror cracked or damaged?
If not, it may be a replacement, where an anti-vibration strip of plastic, about 2 inches long by about half an inch, which should be fitted between the back of the mirror and the inside of the mirror unit. If this is left unfixed at either end, the mirror gets the shakes. hardly noticeable, but I noticed the problem on mine.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 06:43   #4
mbev51
Banned

Removed

hi
thanks for your replies, I have also done some more research about the fuel pump issue. Will for the moment keep the tank filled up and when have time and money will buy both new pumps, the one for the tank I will get from Jules. Will test the in tank pump asap by taking off the supply pipe. Will buy a replacement mirror glass before taking apart to investigate the shake.

I would think that in my first year of ownership I will spend about £500 to bring my tourer up to a condition I am happy with. The car eventually needs to be able to travel long distances in europe reliably. My 2003 tourer has only done 83k and has had a fsh. If you cannot do the jobs yourself you need to have deep pockets and be willing to overspend on the car.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote