Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2019, 10:08   #21
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I am really confused. If SERPS was for high earners why was I advised to do it on minimum wage? It has lost money and now I will get less pension even with the SERPs added on. I was very young and gullible when I did it and now I will have a very small pension for something that only lasted a few years.
You should review your options here Dawn - treat it like any other savings scheme - put it where the charges are low and the returns good.

And as I said earlier - most old schemes for contracting out had higher charges than modern schemes.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 10:32   #22
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I have a final salary company pension from Land Rover and was contracted out of the enhanced state scheme. At the moment that bit of the company pension funded by being contracted out is paying more than I would have got from the state if I had been 'Not contracted out' . As I understand it, if in the future , should that bit of my company pension fall below what I would got from the state, it will be topped up by the state pension. Hope that makes sense. It means I am better off at the moment but I don't loose out if that bit of my company pension fall below the state one. Pension rules are very complicated and proper advise is essential

Last edited by RoverP480; 24th September 2019 at 10:37..
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 11:45   #23
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I still only earn basic and am on my own. I cant afford to pay more in or employ a pension advisor. I scrimp and save to do what I do now. I did get a forcast. It gave me the standard rate but then underneath warned the Serps would be taken off. It looked like £20 but I am no expert. My entire pension will only earn me that atm - so I am worse off by far from opting out as most of my pension fund came from my contributions not serps. So it feels luke Iv'e paid a bit in all my life and for nothing.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 12:16   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I still only earn basic and am on my own. I cant afford to pay more in or employ a pension advisor. I scrimp and save to do what I do now. I did get a forcast. It gave me the standard rate but then underneath warned the Serps would be taken off. It looked like £20 but I am no expert. My entire pension will only earn me that atm - so I am worse off by far from opting out as most of my pension fund came from my contributions not serps. So it feels luke Iv'e paid a bit in all my life and for nothing.
Dawn, I can recall the serps situation. It was all the rage selling in the bank I used at the time, 25 years ago. I didn't do it and glad now i didn't. But recently have seen ads for compensation for these schemes, in a similar way to ppi (and certain endowment mortgages). It may well seem like you would have a case for being missold. It could be worth a quick Google to see if such things do in fact exist.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote