Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2017, 14:09   #1
PaulR
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon (and P4 100)

Default Dropped the ATC unit into the centre console

I was trying to get the ATC unit out to replace the components in it and undid the wrong two screws which allowed the unit to fall into the centre console

I cannot get at it by feeling through the hole - is there any way of getting it out or am I looking at trying to get a replacement unit?? Would it be a DENSO 077800-0580 in a car with climate control? If so they are fortunately quite cheap on ebay

Paul

Last edited by PaulR; 11th July 2017 at 14:25..
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 14:25   #2
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Switches

Hi
Remove the switches or blank carrier for heated seats rear blind etc (just pops out)
Remove the two screws that fasten the ashtray
Place your fingers down each side of the ashtray until you feel a plastic clip
Press each plastic clip towards the centre of the car and gently pull the ashtray towards the gear lever
This should give you access to the void
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 14:49   #3
PaulR
Regular poster

Thanks Steve

I got as far as removing the switches but cannot see the screws and am wary of damaging any of the rather plasticy fascia . I have since seen the units on ebay (it is a DENSO 077800-0580) for around £13 so I have bought one of those. If I do get the original out I will repair it and offer it on here for the cost of the postage.

Thank you

Paul
Old 11th July 2017, 21:27   #4
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Can't you bend a wire dress hanger into one or two hooks of suitable size and "fish" it out? It can't be that big. Can't you use the cables attached to it to assist in retrieving the part?

You are going to have to get it out, one way or another, to fit the new part you have acquired anyway.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 21:39   #5
PaulR
Regular poster

The hole is small and very high up in the passenger footwell and I cannot see any way of fishing it out, or actually see it at all! It also seems to be stuck somehow. You have to remove the wires to get at the screws so that is also a non-starter unfortunately.

I did look further about getting at it from the front and got as far as removing the radio. Access from there won't be possible due to the control flaps in the way.

Luckily it seems to have dropped far enough that it won't stop a replacement from being fitted. I will have another go at it tomorrow but without removing the console I am not at all hopeful about retrieving it as the access is so difficult.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12th July 2017, 11:36   #6
PaulR
Regular poster

Still no luck. It seems stuck in the angle of the heater matrix and I don't want to risk damaging that. Hopefully it will just stay doing no harm!

A warning to others - REMOVING THE TWO INNER SCREWS DOESN'T JUST NOT HELP TO REMOVE THE UNIT, IT MAKES THE UNIT FALL INTO THE VOID WHERE IT WILL STAY FOR THE REST OF THE LIFE OF THE CAR!!

Paul
Old 12th July 2017, 22:21   #7
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

How about using some sticky tape? Wide sellotape is sticky and could be pushed onto more than one face, aiding retrieval
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 11:07   #8
PaulR
Regular poster

Thanks Geoff

It is really very inaccessible. The hole through which it has dropped is small and right in the very top corner of the passenger footwell. I can barely touch the unit with my fingers so using sticky tape would be impossible. It is also made of some sort of alloy with cooling fins which makes it quite heavy.

I could probably get at it if I removed the heater matrix from the driver's side but in view of the cost of the replacement at around £13 I don't think it is worth the effort.

Thanks

Paul