Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th December 2016, 17:29   #1
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default How does Tailgate window latch work?

I have just had a couple of days where the tailgate latch has suddenly released, whilst setting off from stationary, followed by being unable to release it.

Does anyone on the forum know how the window lock / button below the wiper spindle actually work.

Whilst I had the window partly open, I pressed the wiper button and heard something click in the lock unit on the tailgate. I suspect that there is a hidden link between the button and the lock. Can anyone clarify how the lock release actually works?.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/and possible solutions to the problem.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 18:45   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
I have just had a couple of days where the tailgate latch has suddenly released, whilst setting off from stationary, followed by being unable to release it.

Does anyone on the forum know how the window lock / button below the wiper spindle actually work.

Whilst I had the window partly open, I pressed the wiper button and heard something click in the lock unit on the tailgate. I suspect that there is a hidden link between the button and the lock. Can anyone clarify how the lock release actually works?.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/and possible solutions to the problem.
Take the cover off from the outside, under the wiper arm. There is a spring in the mechanism that seems to get caught and misaligned, I actually removed the spring and never had a problem in four years.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 19:29   #3
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Hello Spyder,

Thanks for your reply.

Under the wiper arm, from memory of some time ago, there is a circular spool with a hole through it, which, going back to my days of magnetism and electricity at school, the middle had a soft iron bar which, when current was applied to the coil, suddenly energised the rod and it shot forward due to the magnetic field formed.

Have you any ideas as to what happens when the button under the wiper spindle in pressed. It appears as though it makes a circuit to energise the lock mechanism, forcing another part of the lock to 'move' which is the release mechanism. But why did I hear the click when the window was about 6 inches open from the catch. I definitely heard the click.

At the moment the window is securely locked, with the main tailgate working as it should. I already miss having the opening window as I always have used it a lot. I will see what the light of day and your suggestion brings in the morning.

Thanks again for your suggestion

GeoffWW

Last edited by GeoffWW; 16th December 2016 at 20:05..
Old 17th December 2016, 10:20   #4
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Hello again Spyder,

This morning, I went out to do some shopping.

The main tailgate was opened and closed twice at different shopping centres. then coming down a slip road off the M60, before I had actually stopped, I heard the tailgate lock release and the bonnet/tailgate indicator light came on on the IPK screen.

I drove home - only 400 yds - with it released, took the shopping into the house and then locked the car, tailgate window as well. then tried to unlock the window, and no joy. it won't release again.

So Spyder, I will go out and give your suggestion a try later.
SWMBO is now calling for help wrapping Christmas presents, so I will report back later this afternoon.

Old 17th December 2016, 13:45   #5
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hello again Spyder,

This morning, I went out to do some shopping.

The main tailgate was opened and closed twice at different shopping centres. then coming down a slip road off the M60, before I had actually stopped, I heard the tailgate lock release and the bonnet/tailgate indicator light came on on the IPK screen.

I drove home - only 400 yds - with it released, took the shopping into the house and then locked the car, tailgate window as well. then tried to unlock the window, and no joy. it won't release again.

So Spyder, I will go out and give your suggestion a try later.
SWMBO is now calling for help wrapping Christmas presents, so I will report back later this afternoon.

No no! not Christmas wrapping.... did look though Rave for a photo or how it works, IIRC though it is just contacts in the switch itself that are problematic in this case. Beware the darkness though.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote