Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th June 2016, 10:21   #1
Preacher

Rover 75 saloon

Default Rover 75 1.8T fuel pump

A couple of weeks ago i started my car and while cleaning the windscreen my engine cut out, just sounded like someone had turned the ignition off, i tried to restart but no luck, the engine just turned over but would not start, the garage managed to run it by putting clean fuel directly in the engine, so they say it needs a new petrol pump (they have checked the filter after reading forums and tell me it's not that issue) plus my car only has one fuel pump, my question is where can i get tested used pump from? i can see loads online but not sure if they are right for my car

Many thanks
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 10:49   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Hi Preacher,

My first "75" was a 1.8T and I had exactly the same trouble. - Ok one night, next morning - starter motor turned the engine over but it would not fire at all.

What year is your car? Mine was a 2002 Tourer. After having it transported to my local dealer, - this was about 2005/6 - and I had a Lumley breakdown insurance on it , I got it back, all running fine again.

It was only later that I found out, on this forum, about the fuel filter's tendency to fall apart and the need for the now 'Forum-famous' "orange clip" holding the filter together. You don't mention the clip in your searching. This could be the solution to your problem. There are lots of entries and, I think, a "How to" covering the clip.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 10:55   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The 1.8T fuel pump is generally regarded as very robust. I've not read of one failing so far. What you describe sounds very much like Fuel Filter Syndrome (FFS) to me. The fix, as you know is the Fabled Orange Clip (FOC). In spite of the garage's inspection, my money is on FFS.

Simple Test
Put your ear to the open fuel filler neck and get as assistant to turn on the ignition. You shoud hear the pump hum for a few seconds then stop. If so, it's FFS. Also be aware that repeated attempts to start a car with FFS will result in the petrol being trasfered to the left side of the tank. When that happens the pump can't get any juice anyway.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 9th June 2016 at 12:52..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 11:00   #4
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

.. Just looked through the How-to's.

The "FOC" How to" is currently the bottom line entry on page 4 for the Engine and Technical 'How-to's'.There are pictures showing the clip and the various stages of access and fitting the clip.

Last edited by GeoffWW; 9th June 2016 at 11:23..
Old 9th June 2016, 11:27   #5
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The 1.8T fuel pump is generally regarded as very robust. I've not read of one failing so far. What you describe sounds very much like Fuel Filter Syndrome (FFS) to me. The fix, as you know is the Fabled Orange Clip (FOC). In spite of the garage's inspection, my money is on FFS.

Simple test. Put your ear to the open fuel filler neck and get as assistant to turn on the ignition. You shoud hear the pump hum for a few seconds then stop. If so, it's FFS. Also be aware that repeated attempts to start a car with FFS will result in the petrol being trasfered to the left side of the tank. When that happens the pump can't get any juice anyway.

TC
Could be FFS but I know of two people on here that have had fuel pump issues on their 1.8T's. One was Lovel the other was John & Chris. So it might be the pump.

regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 11:28   #6
Preacher

Rover 75 saloon

Default Fuel Filter

Hi guys, thanks for the info, I mentioned this to the garage and they have said they have checked the fuel filter and that my car does not have this clip issue, now i know nothing about cars, it goes wrong i send it to the garage i don't even change batteries, but they have said it's not this issue as they have read the forums and understand it, i really have to go by what they said.
Old 9th June 2016, 11:30   #7
Preacher

Rover 75 saloon

Default Fuel Pump

Hi John
Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Chris
Old 9th June 2016, 11:32   #8
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Heres the thread for John & Chris http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ight=1.8t+pump

The 1.8T fuel pump is different from the 1.8 NA so if it is the pump make sure you get the right one.

Regards John

Correct pump is WFX000290
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 12:51   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
- - - I know nothing about cars, it goes wrong I send it to the garage - - -
You can certainly do the Simple Test I suggesed in Post 3 and report back with result. Be sure of what you need before handing over wads of cash.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 13:02   #10
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Chris,

Referring to your entry #6:-

Has your garage actually taken the filter out and checked it's current state. The "FOC" was developed after the pump body came away from it's top, to hold the two parts together. From the pictures in the "How-to" I referred to, if you did not know what you were looking for, the partial separation of the two could easily be missed.