Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th April 2016, 13:50   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

That price is not far away for doing the job, if the captive nut breaks away it is horrific to get the bolt out!
Old 4th April 2016, 13:53   #12
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
That price is not far away for doing the job, if the captive nut breaks away it is horrific to get the bolt out!
Yes - I can imagine you would need 3 hours plus if that happened - I probably got lucky and the bolts came out relatively easily !.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 13:55   #13
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Oh well - found a local garage who says he'll do it for £50 if I supply the parts. He may end up regretting that.

Wonder how fast Matt at DMGRS is shipping things these days...
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 14:09   #14
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

wow.. nice one..
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 14:20   #15
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile

Hello Dapol,

Thanks for your speedy answer to my pm.. Wrong colour anyway. Never mind.
I have just seen the entries since mine. I wish you luck with your £50 helper. It sounds as though you really want to keep your car. Concerning your point about repairs costing more than the car is worth, that is usually the case.

But comparing the odd £100/£200 for repairs to get an MOT, against a newer car depreciating at £1k or more per year, it makes sense to keep the Rover. The previous owners "along the car's life" have lost between them something like at least £25k. Thats what you have - car that was worth that much, but now costing you a couple of hundred to repair for another year's use.

Hope you get the repair done OK

Best of Luck

Geoff.
GeoffWW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 16:58   #16
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hello Dapol,

Thanks for your speedy answer to my pm.. Wrong colour anyway. Never mind.
I have just seen the entries since mine. I wish you luck with your £50 helper. It sounds as though you really want to keep your car. Concerning your point about repairs costing more than the car is worth, that is usually the case.

But comparing the odd £100/£200 for repairs to get an MOT, against a newer car depreciating at £1k or more per year, it makes sense to keep the Rover. The previous owners "along the car's life" have lost between them something like at least £25k. Thats what you have - car that was worth that much, but now costing you a couple of hundred to repair for another year's use.

Hope you get the repair done OK

Best of Luck

Geoff.
I'll take all the luck I can get

And tell me about depreciation - my first 75 was a moonstone green Classic on an S plate, and that was on a 3 year PCP - it depreciated so far that despite my having gone 30k over the PCP mileage limit, they gave *me* money when I handed it back.

Nowhere near as bad as some cars though - I was recently running a Jaguar XF I bought at 2.5 years old which was £33k below its original price, and which dumped another 60% of its value in the 3 years I had it - 6 years to drop £40k - Ouch!
Old 4th April 2016, 17:13   #17
K 9
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

My 02 Tourer with over 120k is currently undergoing surgery with Summit Garage. Estimated work is £1400. I bought the car for £1,100. It had HGF which cost another £600 but has done roughly 13k and I've enjoyed it's comfy nature. It's practical and to me is more interesting that an MG6GT/Magnette. Could have lost a lot more in depreciation but also might have done better perhaps with another car. I'm philosophical, cars in general (excluding those in the upper echelons of the classic market) usually always cost you money.
K 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 17:20   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Superman View Post
I've never been able to understand the logic of 'It costs more than the car is worth to repair it, so I'll scrap it'.
Surely your question should be 'If I go out to buy another car with £305 will I get better than I've got?'
Get another quote for the repair, get the job done, have other work done as you can. If in doubt, see what three hundred quid will buy you on the used car market and then decide to keep the Rover.
Not bad for a first contribution.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 18:26   #19
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPol View Post
Oh well - found a local garage who says he'll do it for £50 if I supply the parts. He may end up regretting that.

If the mechanic is true to his word can you share his details please.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 18:33   #20
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

I will do - he's Good Garage Scheme listed and quite well reviewed, so I'm hopeful.

Heck, even if he phones me and goes "It's all gone a bit pete tong, going to cost more" then I'll take that - it's the ones who do "Surpriez! HugeBill!" when you go to collect that Pee me off.