Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2016, 15:55   #1
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default Driver's seat belt won't lock

Hi All,

After fitting my Waeco seat warming pads yesterday, I suddenly find my seat belt won't "lock" on the slack belt being pulled. I have looked through the interior "How-to's" but the nearest is the freeing of the centre rear belt.

On first investigation and removing the belt covers on the "B" post, there was no retraction.

After releasing the belt height adjuster cable from the underside of the seat,(it appeared to be jammed and the movable height-adjustable plate on the "B" post would not move either), the belt now retracts but still won't lock on being snatched.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

GeoffWW
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 08:03   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

I have just returned to my post of yesterday afternoon. 39 Viewings and no replies. I have searched the internet and the Rover 75 seems to have gained a prominence there in seat belt locking failure, but no replies, as yet, from the Forum.

I have seen illustrations varying from how the locking spool works, with variations on a swinging weight that for some reason or other is not swinging, to more primitive ideas such as hitting the spool unit 'gently' with a hammer.

Ah well, this looks like an opportunity for a 'How-to'. I will report my findings later.

Thanks for the viewings but do any of you have any ideas to resolve the problem?

GeoffWW

Last edited by GeoffWW; 26th February 2016 at 08:08..
Old 26th February 2016, 14:01   #3
iandux
Loves to post

At last....75 Facelift Connie

Hi Geoff, don't know if this will be of any help, but remember reading a thread about the belt not retracting quickly - apparently due to a build-up of fluff, etc in the mechanism. Perhaps there could be some in there obstructing the ratchet?

Cure was to apply the business end of the Hoover.

• This vehicle was the 96,129th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 2,123rd 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
  • This vehicle was the 394th 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
iandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 16:57   #4
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I took the reel from the base of the 'B' post this
morning. There was some 'fluff'on the inner face of one of the side plates holding it together. I wiped this off and the applied a couple of drops of WD40 (old can with little propellant left) and started to pull on the belt, belt in one hand, spool in the other. Slowly, I started to get some locking back

I have now restored the 'locking' of the ratchet on most of the tugs but occasionally the locking isn't there.

I will give it a go with the vac' tomorrow.

Thanks again for your tip.

Geoff.