Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th May 2015, 08:39   #1
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default washer bottle sensor

Hello all,

My car is nearly due for its MOT and there is one problem which is bugging me...the washer bottle light keeps on coming on. Doesn't matter if its full or not the light will come on and it seems to be intermittent.

When I was changing the light bulbs and had the bumper off last year we found that the sensor was disconnected, so I plugged it back in, it worked for the most part, but had this intermittent light come on. I've sprayed contact cleaner in the plug and cleaned everything, but still having an issue.

I know the sensor still works as if the bottle is nearly empty it will come on and go off again when it is filled.

Can the MOT centre fail on this? If so do I need a new sensor or do I have a larger problem here? (as far as I remember T4 didn't show anything wrong with it, would it anyway?)
Old 12th May 2015, 08:47   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Your washer bottle, pump and filter may need washing out, the whole system, the filter especially. Even with the various windscreen cleaner fluids, over the years it seams a foam/scum builds up and blocks the filter. It could be interfering with the level sensor as well.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 08:48   #3
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

ill give it a check, thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 08:54   #4
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile

Wow, that was quick. Hope it saves you buying things unnecessarily. Just release the front wheel-arch liner to gain a limited access. Best access is with the whole front off.

Best of luck

Geoff

Last edited by GeoffWW; 12th May 2015 at 08:56..
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:12   #5
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Washer fluid warning light wont fail the MOT as long as the washer work.

My first ZT did this....the sensor had sprung apart...Blob of solder fixed it..

Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:29   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The sensor was probably disconnected for the same problem as you are being pestered with! The sensor works by detecting the level of a float within the tank. The float can be affected by a jelly like gunk that collects at the bottom of the tank. Easiest way to clean the tank is remove the pump and filter, clean the filter with warm soapy water. Place a basin under the tank, make up a bucket (or watering can) full of mild bleach solution in warm water. Pour it through the tank into the basin, repeat that a couple of times then thoroughly flush the tank with clean water. Replace the filter and pump, refill the tank.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote