Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2015, 14:08   #1
Prince_Leopold
Regular poster

Rover 75 Touring

Default CDT Auto NO forward gears

Hi,

I've got a R75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Auto

Today whilst out driving the car lost power with revs climbing high inbetween gear changes, it then went into 'EP' limp mode allowing me to drive home. Now when I select reverse the car creeps backward normally but in forward nothing happens apart from engine revs climbing.

I've checked the plenum chamber and it's dry, although we did have rain this morning.

I've tried disconnecting the battery for 45 mins but it's not had an effect.

I don't know if this is connected but I've had the car since January and it's always 'thunked' into drive with a bit of a jump.

I've searched the forums and solenoids and pistons are mentioned, any ideas what might be the problem in my case?

Thanks, David
Jobs done: in-line thermostat; low clutch drum replaced by Austin Garages of Burton-on-Trent (www.austingarages.co.uk); Arctic two-speed gold resistor radiator fan; Viton intercooler O rings; inverted bonnet cable divider block; Arctic stainless steel handbrake compensater.

Last edited by Prince_Leopold; 29th April 2015 at 14:10..
Prince_Leopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 14:14   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Leopold View Post
Hi,

I've got a R75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Auto

Today whilst out driving the car lost power with revs climbing high inbetween gear changes, it then went into 'EP' limp mode allowing me to drive home. Now when I select reverse the car creeps backward normally but in forward nothing happens apart from engine revs climbing.

I've checked the plenum chamber and it's dry, although we did have rain this morning.

I've tried disconnecting the battery for 45 mins but it's not had an effect.

I don't know if this is connected but I've had the car since January and it's always 'thunked' into drive with a bit of a jump.

I've searched the forums and solenoids and pistons are mentioned.

Any ideas what might be the problem in my case?

Thanks, David
Best to get the car on T4 David, saves the guesswork.

Check to see if the inspection covers are in place in the inner wheel arches, especially the passenger side one.

I have seen a few cars now where the wiring to the under bonnet fusebox has been damaged as a result of these not being fitted

If you find the gearbox to be faulty, I know where there is an excellent secondhand one in a car being currently broken and diesel autoboxes are in short supply at scrapyards these days

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 21:01   #3
Prince_Leopold
Regular poster

Rover 75 Touring

A T4 diagnostic would be fab but the nearest one is 70 miles away and I only have reverse :-(
Jobs done: in-line thermostat; low clutch drum replaced by Austin Garages of Burton-on-Trent (www.austingarages.co.uk); Arctic two-speed gold resistor radiator fan; Viton intercooler O rings; inverted bonnet cable divider block; Arctic stainless steel handbrake compensater.
Old 30th April 2015, 07:11   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello David,

As you have correctly researched, your problem is likely to be solenoids or related to the reverse piston. It's relatively easy to check the solenoids electrically with a multimeter.

I regret to say that I disagree fundamentally with Brian's suggestion that you obtain a second-hand transmission. Some members have done this and ended up in a worse predicament than when they started. Of course these gearboxes are always described as "good" or "known working" but what guarantee have you got? None; just the word of a scrapyard operator who probably received the car on the back of a flatbed and stands to make a tidy sum out of selling one to you. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that in the long term "repair what you've got" is the best philosophy.

By all means try T4; there are mobile people about. There's a club thread with details. But don't pin all your hopes on it. The results can be enigmatic and, in the case of an automatic gearbox, won't describe the failed component exactly.

Simon
Old 30th April 2015, 09:43   #5
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

To get you moving forwards, have you tried the sports or snow modes?
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 10:03   #6
Prince_Leopold
Regular poster

Rover 75 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
To get you moving forwards, have you tried the sports or snow modes?
No I've not, I'll try that, thanks.

I've just checked the brake/clutch fluid level and it's just below minimum. It couldn't be that simple could it? I'm off to get some DOT 4.

I'll report back later.

Thanks very much for everyone's input
Old 30th April 2015, 10:22   #7
HenryD
Loves to post

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Leopold View Post
No I've not, I'll try that, thanks.

I've just checked the brake/clutch fluid level and it's just below minimum. It couldn't be that simple could it? I'm off to get some DOT 4.

I'll report back later.

Thanks very much for everyone's input
It won't be that but low transmission fluid level will cause issues similar to what you have especially if you've had a rapid leak out
Old 30th April 2015, 10:35   #8
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

What year is the car?
If it's pre 2002/3, almost certainly will need a reverse piston kit as described below.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=140572

Worth checking solenoids but I doubt if they would cause loss of all forward gears.

You can disconnect the Jatco ECU completely at the multi plugs near battery and it should still have some forward drive.
(because the gear linkage physically opens oil ways to the various pistons within the Jatco)

All the solenoids do is accept commands from the Jatco ECU to control the gear changes so they are smooth and at the correct time relative to road speed, engine RPM and throttle position.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 10:38   #9
Prince_Leopold
Regular poster

Rover 75 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
It won't be that but low transmission fluid level will cause issues similar to what you have especially if you've had a rapid leak out
Nope, topping up the fluid made no difference, but it needed doing anyway.

Trying snow/sport mode made no difference either

Strange how it's really strong in reverse but no forward gears at all

I have a friend coming over with a multi-meter later

I shall report back
Old 30th April 2015, 10:42   #10
Prince_Leopold
Regular poster

Rover 75 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
What year is the car?
If it's pre 2002/3, almost certainly will need a reverse piston kit as described below.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=140572

Worth checking solenoids but I doubt if they would cause loss of all forward gears.

You can disconnect the Jatco ECU completely at the multi plugs near battery and it should still have some forward drive.
(because the gear linkage physically opens oil ways to the various pistons within the Jatco)

All the solenoids do is accept commands from the Jatco ECU to control the gear changes so they are smooth and at the correct time relative to road speed, engine RPM and throttle position.
Thanks for that Jules

It's a 2002 model

So at least I should be able to limp to a garage