Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th March 2015, 13:00   #11
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile

Hi James,

Inside the box mounted on the throttle pedal spindle are copper brushes which, connected to the pedal, give a series of arcs, rubbing on copper arcs of different diameters on a baseplate.

Mine baseplate arc's had worn away so that no contact was made over the idling position. I had to purchase a complete throttle and brake pedal unit costing £108 through a local "X Part" distributor in Trafford Park. You cant just buy the throttle pedal alone.

I have just retrieved my old throttle pedal arm from storage. Between the pedal base( not the whole unit base) and the pedal, there is a short spring which keeps the pedal "up" against the driver's foot pressure. Has that spring broken?.

On releasing the 5 screws securing the box cover, you see the curved 4 tracks which each of 4 sets of 4 little wire brushes move along as the throttle pedal is depressed. mine had lost all the contact metal, presumed brass or copper, where the brush tips touched.

I just can't find the method of uploading photos on here. I have only done it once before.I will find it and upload the pics later. So sending my experiences with throttle problem now.

Hope this might help.

Regards,

Geoff.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 19:16   #12
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Thanks Mark, I may take you up on that.

Thanks for all the info GeoffWW, I will get my mechanic to check that out if my reset doesn't work..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 22:29   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hi James,

Inside the box mounted on the throttle pedal spindle are copper brushes which, connected to the pedal, give a series of arcs, rubbing on copper arcs of different diameters on a baseplate.

Mine baseplate arc's had worn away so that no contact was made over the idling position. I had to purchase a complete throttle and brake pedal unit costing £108 through a local "X Part" distributor in Trafford Park. You cant just buy the throttle pedal alone.

I have just retrieved my old throttle pedal arm from storage. Between the pedal base( not the whole unit base) and the pedal, there is a short spring which keeps the pedal "up" against the driver's foot pressure. Has that spring broken?.

On releasing the 5 screws securing the box cover, you see the curved 4 tracks which each of 4 sets of 4 little wire brushes move along as the throttle pedal is depressed. mine had lost all the contact metal, presumed brass or copper, where the brush tips touched.

I just can't find the method of uploading photos on here. I have only done it once before.I will find it and upload the pics later. So sending my experiences with throttle problem now.

Hope this might help.

Regards,

Geoff.
The throttle demand potentiometer is available separately Geoff

And here it is

LINK

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 04:06   #14
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Default Sorted

Thank you Brian.

As the reset didn't work, and that pedal gets a fair amount of work, I have ordered a new one.. I will get my local garage to fit it for me..

My thanks to you all for your help..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 11:52   #15
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Thanks for your help, Brian.

At the time mine gave trouble - about 15 months ago, the only option through my local X-Part was the whole unit, from which I just removed the throttle arm. I argued there that it should have been possible to buy just the faulty pedal and not the whole brake pedal and combined base as well.

I have managed to get some photos into Photobucket but still can't move them into the Forum's Image Gallery. There doesn't appear to be a way out. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help with my photo problem.

Geoff
Old 5th March 2015, 11:55   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your help, Brian.

At the time mine gave trouble - about 15 months ago, the only option through my local X-Part was the whole unit, from which I just removed the throttle arm. I argued there that it should have been possible to buy just the faulty pedal and not the whole brake pedal and combined base as well.

I have managed to get some photos into Photobucket but still can't move them into the Forum's Image Gallery. There doesn't appear to be a way out. Am I missing something?

Geoff
It's always been available as a separate item Geoff

A wheeze to extract more money from you methinks, along with the fact they programmed a virgin NNN100720 to your car and denied doing so

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 12:08   #17
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:

Geoff
Hi Geoff,

In Photobucket, if you select the IMG option (last one) it will copy the code.
All you then need to do is paste that into the body of your post and the image will be displayed.

Like this:

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 12:17   #18
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Hello Dorset Bob,

Thanks for your quick reply for my photo problem.

In Photobucket, I can select the photos I wish to upload from my laptop photo files, and get the photo ID into Photobucket's small boxes ( there are three) on the RH side of what appears to be a dark window. Having got the ID's into these boxes, there doesn't appear to be a link on to what you have just entered.

I will go back to Photobucket and see if there is is a solution there.

Thanks again,

Geoff.
Old 5th March 2015, 14:59   #19
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Hello again Dorset Bob,

I now have 4 different pictures now in my Photobucket, two placed today and the other two together some long time ago but checking on the "IMG numbers", all 4 are the same. Surely each photo should have it's own unique identification number?

Geoff
Old 5th March 2015, 15:12   #20
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Here is where I am now. I have Just clicked at the bottom to access the forum and have seen the photo. Massive - full page one. so next problem is how to miniaturise it to thumbnail size.

Last edited by GeoffWW; 5th March 2015 at 15:16..