Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2024, 21:03   #1
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default Trying my patience

My ZT is trying my patience at the moment.

I know she's not as young as she once was, and maybe using her as a daily is not the best idea when she's 20 years young, but...

1. Went to BigRuss to fix a non-locking/alarm problrm with fob.
Russ solved it for me, but now she's misbehaving again so it'll be back to Russ in February

2. Front bumper - I got a premium bumper a few years ago now and I love the look of her with the new face, but... no-one has ever been able to make the silver grille trim stick. Four different attempts with different adhesives all failed and it's coming loose again. Combine that with the paint that peeled off on the drivers front quarter (apparently was filled at some point in past and the paint was not primed properly - so I've been told) - can't afford the £500 I have been quoted to fix. I think I need to re-fit the original facelift bumper as I'm sick of all the bad luck I've had with the premium unit.

Can anyone remove and refit the original bumper for me? Location is LS25.
Have been quoted over £100 by local garage to do the job, which seems a bit excessive to me.

Oh and does DMGRS do interior door handle surround trims, as my drivers one is coming loose?

The joys of ownership!

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2024, 22:09   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Consider the depreciation cost of a newer car and it'll likely be more than your total repair bill and at least you know what issues you have over unknown issues with another 2nd hand car. Sounds like most of the issues are cosmetic so live with them until you can afford to get them done.
I use mine as a daily and she's 24 shortly but i have just accepted things go wrong sometimes in any car and i have most definately spent more than mine is worth however that would still likely be less than the depreciation of driving a new car out of the showroom.
Oh and you can repair the chrome door trims. I just use a little araldite, seems to work just fine but there are other methods on here if you search for them.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2024, 22:15   #3
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Hi Andrew,

Regarding the chrome trim on your premium front bumper - I fitted a factory chrome plastic "a-bar" to my wife's 2015 Fiat 500. This involved glueing it onto the front bumper. The Fiat instructions gave two specific adhesives that should be used, one of which was Dow Corning 7091, which was the adhesive I used. It's been about 2 years now, and it's still well adhered. Might be worth a try? Here's an eBay link to the stuff: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115961552...mis&media=COPY

Failing that, I've had good luck using 3M's VHB (very high bond) double sided foam tape in the past, albeit on badges and number plates.

Regarding swapping front bumpers over, it depends what state the fasteners are in, especially the undertray and brake duct ones, but if they're in good condition, I reckon I could swap a bumper over in 30-60 mins as a non-professional. If any fasteners are badly corroded though, this can increase quite quickly. Perhaps the garage are factoring that in?

The chrome interior door handle surrounds are part of the door handle assembly. If they're loose, it's usually because the clips are broken. I've had this before and reattached it using a 2-part epoxy. I took it off the car to do this, but that might not be strictly necessary if you're careful with the glue.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2024, 09:03   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Interior door handle chrome fix, self tappers, and you can do it in situ 😎

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Last edited by suzublu; 7th January 2024 at 20:06..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote