Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th February 2011, 20:03   #21
carl
Posted a thing or two

MG ZS 180, MGF 75th Aniversary and Kirsts ZT CDTi 135+, MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Isn't the prosecution speed already 80 mph 10% plus 2mph was the recognised rule of thumb IIRC.

How many have been prosecuted for 78 or less in a 70?

Sorry if this has changed recently
So at 80 this would become 80 +10%+2 = 90

I think they need to look at it sensible it ok say 70 is fast enough on the M1 on a monday morning , but on the M180 at 3pm on a wednesday you could do 140mph and not see another car - there both 3 lane motorways but they should be treated completely differently

Speed limit should be 100mph but wth variable signs for when its busy
Old 28th February 2011, 23:35   #22
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Jaguar X Type 2.2 SE Diesel estate Mem No789

Lets not forget what is going on here. We are talking of raising the speed LIMIT you can still potter along at 40 mph if you wish. Nobody insists you travel at the speed limit all the time. Because we are all good honest law abiding drivers on this forum, aint we?
92 squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 05:36   #23
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

the amount of extra fueled needed to travel at 80mph is a about 10% greater than sticking to seventy...

noticed with fuel prices as they are the motorways have slowed down considerably.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 08:21   #24
8511swann
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 V6 Petrol Classic SE (Manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
the amount of extra fueled needed to travel at 80mph is a about 10% greater than sticking to seventy...

noticed with fuel prices as they are the motorways have slowed down considerably.
I must admit that making it legal to drive faster, whilst raising fuel duty and preaching about the environment, carbon footprints, dwindling energy supplies and trouble in the Middle East, is one of the most bizarre thing's I've read about!.

The left hand really does not know what the disembodied right hand is doing!

Surely reducing the speed limit is the sensible thing to do. Personally, I've lowered my speeds, and rarely go over 60 on a Motorway or DC, I really could not afford to drive at 80!.
Old 1st March 2011, 08:37   #25
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Dont know about where the rest of you live but here in glasgow the state of the roads has cut speeds drastically , 30mph is too fast and and anything over that is a damage to the tyres speed , cost me 43 quid yesterday as i had a large bubble on the side of my offside front tyre .

No sign of the thousands of holes being repaired so it will be greatly reduced speed for a while yet.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 09:12   #26
carl
Posted a thing or two

The reasoning I can see behind the increase as far as cost goes is that folks will buy more petrol and therefore pay more Tax to the goverment , so theyll love it

Now I know who it is who constantly gets in the way on dual carrage ways and motorways then

Its a steady 75 on the speedo for me (works out at 70 on the sat nav ) all the time - I dare say if the limit went up to 80 Id go up to that - Im a bit of a speed man if them limit was 110 id probably sit at it
Old 1st March 2011, 10:21   #27
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

1) Most drivers want an increase in the motorway speed limit.
2) Most drivers want a decrease in fuel prices.

Given that we are certainly never going get the latter,
continuing to desire the former becomes less and less understandable,

- unless your pockets are very deep and/or your car very frugal.

Yes, we are all in hurry (sometimes),
and yes, most of us like to 'give it the beans' (sometimes),
but given the incompatibility of driving fast and driving affordably, we have to make a choice.

I've made mine, and I usually pootle along at about 55- 60mph, and see the rewards in my mpg.

And if I'm a bit late or feel like putting a smile on my face I just move out into the fast lane for a few minutes...
- and since speed is relative, it feels like I'm doing a ton out there - (even if I'm not).
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 10:45   #28
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

For me they can put the motorway speed limit up to 100mph, I'll stick to 60-70, better fuel comsumption and less wear and tear on the car and me
Freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 10:56   #29
carl
Posted a thing or two

its all relative is it not - some of the lads on here run a 4.6 L V8 that returns 25mpg and some of us have a Diesel that will give 50Mpg - Im happy knowing that the diesel will get 45mpg at 80mph im still doing better than the V8 boys

Its like when I go out in the ZS , I know if I drive it like mother terasa ill get 35 to the gallon , but its the day out toy so I often drive ot like its stolen and only get 25 mpg but I enjoy it - if I drove the ZT like that I know onr of 3 things would happen

1) Id rip the tyres to shreds in 10 mins
2) Id use so much diesel it would be silly
£) (worst case) it would end up in a field on its roof
Old 1st March 2011, 16:17   #30
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I came up (traveled North) on the M5 - M6 last Sunday between 11am and 01pm .. the traffic was heavy enough to prevent me from keeping consistently to the proposed 80 mph.. In places it was possible to reach substantial speeds but only untill I ran into the next group of slower moving vehicles..

And that is what our Mways seem to be, various sized groups of vehicles covering all three lanes and forcing those in the outside lane to crawl through each group one by one, then rushing after the next group, till you get to your turn off. Overall it makes a mockery of your ave speed. A speed graph taken on a long mway run would look like a mountain range innit...

This isn't a new phenomenon, it has been like that since our Mways opened, but at first the groups were many many miles apart, now they are, at best, a couple of hundred yards apart, and sometimes several miles long!..

It would help if lorries were banned from the 2nd lane when all 3 lanes are full..... (?)

Last edited by James.uk; 1st March 2011 at 22:25..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote