Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2009, 17:47   #1
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Default Mortgage question ?

Hi all as the recession is starting to felt in this household, need some advice.

At the moment my fixed rate repayment is at 6.4% (with nationwide) coming to an end about July my mortgage payment is round about £420 a month there tracker rate has now come down to 2.5% would like to stay with nationwide as touch wood they have been very helpfull over the last 10 years.

Basically getting confused about what sort of a saving I gain going from one rate to the other.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:27   #2
Dan1971
Avid contributor

MK2 ZS180 hatch

Any savings would depend on how much your mortgage is for.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:28   #3
Departed
Retired

--

Know you want to stay with Nationwide but Smile bank (www.smile.co.uk) have a mortgage calculator on their website, so you could put details (capital amount, term, interest rate) in and get it to tell you what would change.

Personally, wouldn't touch NW with a bargepole after they lost my settlement cheque on a mortgage and threatened me with repossessing a house I no longer owned.......
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 18:34   #4
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

just scrutinise whatever you are looking at for the proper APR after costs/fees have been taken into account. This figure should also be given with all promoted rates.
These make for easy comparision irrespective of your actual loan - but you need to make a guess about where rates are heading before potentially wasting money fixing. The good thing at the moment is that they cant really get much lower, so it might be good to fix again, or hang variable for a while until the depression really hits.
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 19:25   #5
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Carlos View Post
Hi all as the recession is starting to felt in this household, need some advice.

At the moment my fixed rate repayment is at 6.4% (with nationwide) coming to an end about July my mortgage payment is round about £420 a month there tracker rate has now come down to 2.5% would like to stay with nationwide as touch wood they have been very helpfull over the last 10 years.

Basically getting confused about what sort of a saving I gain going from one rate to the other.
You're going to see a big saving come July! If you do nothing you'll automatically go onto a variable rate mortgage which at the moment is cheap as chips as interest rates are so low. When things start to creep up, as they will eventually, you should look about about and see who's offering the best deal at the time. Provided you have no issues in getting a mortgage, shop about, all's fair in love and money. Any arrangement fee can be added onto your mortgage, and to be honest I'd be looking to go onto another fixed rate quite quickly while it's possible to get a low rate.

See what Nationwide offer you, they might come up with a good deal tp keep your business.
Old 28th March 2009, 08:52   #6
eskezz
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon

Try 'moneyfacts' website-tend to be the best independant comparison site IMO. Just arranged a mortgage for my daughter thru Loughboro' B S and we live in the North West from info on their site. Don't stick with the Nationwide out of loyalty-they are bringing in charges for using cards abroad and some of their recent savings rates for existing customers have been very poor to say the least. Becoming less of a mutual as time goes by.
eskezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 14:53   #7
Dan1971
Avid contributor

MK2 ZS180 hatch

Well ... I'm stuck right now in a fixed rate ... Quite high in comparison, but the press yesterday warned of a shock rise in the near future.

Make sure that whatever you get suits your needs. I decided to fix mine and so know for sure what I'm paying is affordable for the best part of 10 more years, at which point it'll be paid off.

Don't tie yourself in unless you're happy.
Old 31st March 2009, 23:37   #8
G9 RAC

MG ZT

Paranoid Carlos you have a pm.
G9 RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 20:42   #9
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Cheers mate, thanks for reply
Old 2nd April 2009, 06:46   #10
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

My mortgage provider informed me last March that in September my tracker was coming to an end. I acted there and then and decided on a fixed rate. The interest rates then rose and I felt quite smug. Now the rates have fallen away and if I had chosen another tracker I would be quids in. However, it is always a gamble - if rates shoot up and some are predicting this then a tracker will suddenly be expensive compared with a fixed rate, especially some of the fixes on offer now.

How much of a gambler are you?

Paul
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote