Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th December 2022, 07:30   #1
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Ad Blocker?

Just got a new (to me) Windows 11 computer. I use Firefox and previously had Adblock plus. Yay or nay? Any suggestions or observations welcome. Thanks in advance folks.
Old 26th December 2022, 07:39   #2
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

I've used Ffox and Adblock for years with Win 10 and XP with never any problems plus AVG which has always performed faultlessly.
Old 26th December 2022, 09:43   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Just got a new (to me) Windows 11 computer. I use Firefox and previously had Adblock plus. Yay or nay? Any suggestions or observations welcome. Thanks in advance folks.
A windows 11 laptop should come with it's own security (defender) which is all it needs really and should up date on it's own, what make did you get Dell, did it come with Windows 11 already or did you have to down load it your self.

I am sure there are a few IT guys on here whom can advise you better, i have always found the free 12 months security which most laptops come with ie Norton, Mcafee antivirus etc slow down the PC or laptop.

Windows come with browser Edge which i find ok i also have Chrome, for some browsing which is used occasionally i think both have built in ad blockers?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2022, 10:25   #4
al_dente
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Firefox and Adblock is a good combo.

If you use sync on your old computer, you can sync your bookmarks and extensions (like Adblock) to your new computer.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
al_dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2022, 11:51   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

I looked at Adblock as I've used it before, only to find that it wants access to just about everything. Why are all these computers so bloomin' nosey? They track and follow you everywhere, then bombard you with advertising. We've just been looking at Itv X and after signing in, we got loads of local adverts as it has our postcode. Big Brother is definitely watching you, watching it! My new PC has no microphone and no camera for a reason! Thanks for the advice folks. Much appreciated. The last person that followed me in the street (Great Yarmouth lowlife looking for a pensioner to mug) got a shock when I jumped out in front of him at a corner and said "Yes! What the **** are you following me for?" He turned on his heels and ran!
Old 28th December 2022, 11:55   #6
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
A windows 11 laptop should come with it's own security (defender) which is all it needs really and should up date on it's own, what make did you get Dell, did it come with Windows 11 already or did you have to down load it your self.

I am sure there are a few IT guys on here whom can advise you better, i have always found the free 12 months security which most laptops come with ie Norton, Mcafee antivirus etc slow down the PC or laptop.

Windows come with browser Edge which i find ok i also have Chrome, for some browsing which is used occasionally i think both have built in ad blockers?
My "new" Dell (July 2022) with Win 11 is hopeless. Very poor back-up warranty/Technical support. Do not purchase a Dell. My USB ports seem to have a problem. For instance, if I copy a file to a USB Floppy Drive it will only do this to the root. I cannot make a directory (folder in to-days parlance) and this is the same for CD-RW. The devices are not shown in File Manager (Explorer speak). Thankfully, most memory sticks are seen, albeit with shadows (i.e. if a stick is inserted and takes the ID of, say, F: I will get two instances of it. This can have consequences for data integrity..

I have endless e-mails, (approaching 50 odd) asking me to explain the problems (warranty countdown). You would think they would just take remote control and go through the issue process themselves. But oh no! Send it back to us. Sigh......I know what that means. Won't see it for yonks and it will still be the same on return. :-(

Edge is Cortana with a new front end. Junk it. And Pocket and 365 subscription. Microsoft do all this to lock out any competition. I wish I had asked Dell to load the Linux option instead but I needed to "upgrade" my Windows knowledge (post Win98se). I use FF, AVG and Ublock Origin.

Kev
p.s.
This is a computer forum, no?
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2022, 12:55   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
My "new" Dell (July 2022) with Win 11 is hopeless. Very poor back-up warranty/Technical support. Do not purchase a Dell. My USB ports seem to have a problem. For instance, if I copy a file to a USB Floppy Drive it will only do this to the root. I cannot make a directory (folder in to-days parlance) and this is the same for CD-RW. The devices are not shown in File Manager (Explorer speak). Thankfully, most memory sticks are seen, albeit with shadows (i.e. if a stick is inserted and takes the ID of, say, F: I will get two instances of it. This can have consequences for data integrity..

I have endless e-mails, (approaching 50 odd) asking me to explain the problems (warranty countdown). You would think they would just take remote control and go through the issue process themselves. But oh no! Send it back to us. Sigh......I know what that means. Won't see it for yonks and it will still be the same on return. :-(

Edge is Cortana with a new front end. Junk it. And Pocket and 365 subscription. Microsoft do all this to lock out any competition. I wish I had asked Dell to load the Linux option instead but I needed to "upgrade" my Windows knowledge (post Win98se). I use FF, AVG and Ublock Origin.

Kev
p.s.
This is a computer forum, no?
Whoosh!
Old 14th April 2023, 14:09   #8
Gelen

Rover 75 Tourer

Sorry for bumping but did anyone try Blokada? I switched to a Firestick and all those ads annoy me. I read about the Blokada ad blocker on this site, but it would be great to find out other people's experiences before installing it.

Last edited by Gelen; 18th April 2023 at 00:39..
Gelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2023, 12:24   #9
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelen View Post
Sorry for bumping but did anyone try Blokada? I switched to a Firestick and all those ads annoy me. I read about the Blokada ad blocker, but it would be great to find out other people's experiences before installing it.
If you look on download.com they have pages and pages of available sogtware. Also "Best 10 thingamgigs" type reviews (as do the computer media and also Which. Check all them out and see what suits you. Just make sure the app is undeletable in case you want to experiment with others.
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2023, 13:14   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
I looked at Adblock as I've used it before, only to find that it wants access to just about everything. Why are all these computers so bloomin' nosey? They track and follow you everywhere, then bombard you with advertising. We've just been looking at Itv X and after signing in, we got loads of local adverts as it has our postcode. Big Brother is definitely watching you, watching it!
Pay for the software or ITVXpro (?), instead of using the free versions. They are commercial companies who need to be paid somehow. Advertising does that. Having local advertising (via postcode) means they can sell 'cheaper' advertising (and possibly more of it), targeted to make it relevant to those who see it. eg a Charles Hurst (a large car dealership here) would likely be irrelevant to you and about 90% of the population watching coronation street, just as an Arnold Clark dealership is irrelevant to me. Then on top of that, you have local programming, news, weather etc. Try signing out, and entering in a different postcode (try BT11AA ), then you will notice a subtle difference.

Quote:
Big Brother is definitely watching you, watching it!
More likely commercial enterprises, in the hope of obtaining your hard earned coin, rather than Big Brother. Big Brother has already got his hands on it before you did .

Quote:
The last person that followed me in the street (Great Yarmouth lowlife looking for a pensioner to mug) got a shock when I jumped out in front of him at a corner and said "Yes! What the **** are you following me for?" He turned on his heels and ran!
errm he was your next door neighbour In situations like that, I would not jump out, but rather follow them to see where they go, better you know where they go.

As for adblock, I find it brilliant for Youtube, and it 'shuts up' tabloid type news sites. If a website requests whitelisting on it, I simply dont bother.

We have a lot of information at our hands now, and it needs to be paid for somehow. On top of that, you have so many more information/entertainment/'news' outlets too, all needing paid for. Add in the folk, like me, who do not want to pay for a lot of things we can get alternatives for free elsewhere (eg entertainment), as well as our demands for instant and convenient info/news/entertainment. Without noticing, we have diluted the quality that we once believed we had. Think of it as a scenario of 4 TV channels with 1000 employees each, which contained 100 geniuses among them, now we have 400 channels, with 100 employees each, and 1 genius in each, competing with each other.

To gain the 'quality' we once had, it needs to be paid for, or 'topped up'. NHS/pension anyone? (notice how many more private healthcare and pension ads we have now )

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote