Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2017, 11:23   #31
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default Hilarious

Aw stop it, I might just split my sides laughing! Seriously, I need to find someone who has the know how, done this before and has the right tools for the job and be prepared to get their hands dirty on my behalf.
Shide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 12:42   #32
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shide View Post
I take it all back. spent this afternoon crawling around under the car and....cam pulleys line up, crank does not, about 1/4 turn out. So, worst scenario? what damage could have been done to the engine, bent valves, head, pistons?
When looking buying a 25 diesel privately and agreeing on a price, the owner asked me if I knew anything about his Freelander with a 1.8 Kseries engine which had been through a number of main dealers with owner reporting running issues and not one of them fixed it. It started (just) and drove horribly. With very limited access to tools and at the kerbside, I was able to confirm that the timing was out by a few teeth and had been for many thousands of miles! Once retimed and 30 mins later it was running beautifully. In fact the owner was so happy with the outcome he gave me £100 back

Once you retime it just try a compression test, but beware that a cold compression test is not always conclusive, the test should be done on a hot engine once the hydraulic tappets have settled down.

Last edited by Lovel; 18th June 2017 at 12:45..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 12:42   #33
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Try cb750chris. Easy access for him via the A3.

Simon
Old 18th June 2017, 18:51   #34
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default re

Thanks, but he is at the bottom of the county, I'm at the top. That's a fair old trek one of us has to make. Anyone nearer?
Old 18th June 2017, 19:26   #35
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

I own a 2003 1.8T and this exact same thing happened to me last week!

At first I noticed there was a flapping noise from the engine bay then all of a sudden my steering went very heavy. When I inspected the belts the power steering belt was missing and the alternator belt was looking very worse for wear.

Rang the local motorfactor who had them in stock and bought 2 Gates (decent quality) belts for just under £15 for the pair.

Codes are 5PK1200 and 3PK738.

On the way to collecting them there was another noise and all of a sudden the alternator light lit up :-(

Wasn't sure whether to rurn back or not but decided to press on to the motor factors and pick up the belts as it was only a couple of miles away. Anyway, car got me there and when I checked the alternator belt was missing too :-( Got the belts and drove home (passing my old belt lyng in the road!) In all I did about 5 miles with no alternator belt.

To replace them you need a 13mm swan neck spanner. Take the front wheel off nearest the belts and loosely place the belt over the top pulley and using the spanner on the tensioner pulley pull the tensioner enough to allow you to slip the belt over the big pulley. Repeat for the other belt. and your done :-)

NB I actually got my wife to hold the spanner in tension whilst I put the belts on as quite fiddly to do on your own.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 19:34   #36
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Carl,

Given that your car is undriveable, it's Chris' decision. You've got nothing to lose by asking him. According to the AA his journey would be about 45 miles and takes about an hour.

Simon
Old 19th June 2017, 07:03   #37
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

Quote:
Thanks, but he is at the bottom of the county, I'm at the top. That's a fair old trek one of us has to make. Anyone nearer?
Where abouts as your link says ash vale, I assume thats Surrey, but you say up the top of the country, if you've up t'north (sorry I always take the mick when northers say it here) I'm in Burnley, Lancashire and can time these engines, just chuck a cup of coffee my way.

EDIT: Sorry its early, thought it said country, not county. DOH!
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 10:02   #38
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Ash Vale, near Aldershot/Farnborough. One of the places the Post Office can't decide where it is. We're in Surrey under Guildford BC but postally we are in Hampshire.
Old 19th June 2017, 13:18   #39
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Some good advice on here.
Thanks for your PM, I have replied, hopefully you will get this sorted, but if not I should be able to help you next week.

Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 15:26   #40
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Ash Vale, near Aldershot/Farnborough. One of the places the Post Office can't decide where it is. We're in Surrey under Guildford BC but postally we are in Hampshire.
Mike Noc isn't that far from you iirc, and he'll know how to time up a K series

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote