Notices

Old 17th October 2012, 17:54   #31
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog View Post
im off to mombasa tomorrow afternoon and ive just got a new camera . im now in the digital age lol just an entry level nikon d3100 . its seems like a good camera so il be taking plenty of shots in tsavo of the wonderfull animals
How did you get on in Mombasa?

I took a few photos of these from the bedroom window as I caught site of a couple of Hadada Ibis visiting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morning Hadada Ibis.jpg (117.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg The Hadada Ibis.jpg (80.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg two times Hadada Ibis .jpg (106.5 KB, 11 views)
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 22:24   #32
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
How did you get on in Mombasa?

I took a few photos of these from the bedroom window as I caught site of a couple of Hadada Ibis visiting
African alarm clock! This is one of the things about home (South Africa) that I love. Its amazing how the small things like Hadeda's, even the smell of the air is what reminds me I'm home when I get off the plane.

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 15:30   #33
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Felix, I am flying to Cape Town on Sunday all being well and will keep post up a few more photos of farm life in the western cape, the people, the wildlife anything really It is not yet summer and where we are on the Helderberg, the overlook is towards Cape Storm. Weather wise it is variable with cold, wind and storms for this time of the year. I am hoping it will warm up soon. I am looking forward to off road driving but am already missing the old V6.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:36   #34
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Quote:
Hi Felix, I am flying to Cape Town on Sunday all being well and will keep post up a few more photos of farm life in the western cape, the people, the wildlife anything really It is not yet summer and where we are on the Helderberg, the overlook is towards Cape Storm. Weather wise it is variable with cold, wind and storms for this time of the year. I am hoping it will warm up soon. I am looking forward to off road driving but am already missing the old V6.
I'm originally from Durban, where its either hot & muggy, or warm & muggy, nothing else

Planning a trip home in March next year. Took the (irish) missus in January a couple of years ago and she nearly died! This time there is a toddler in tow too so have to take it easy...

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 21:41   #35
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongi69 View Post
African alarm clock! This is one of the things about home (South Africa) that I love. Its amazing how the small things like Hadeda's, even the smell of the air is what reminds me I'm home when I get off the plane.
Of all the things I miss about SA and Jo'burg the hadeda's are defenitely not one of them-my cars would not miss them either.

Enjoy the mountain (yours and the flat one ) Gatekeeper.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 16:30   #36
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Another thing I guess you won't miss are the baboons. We are having a problem on the mountain as they have been coming down to the house at night and early morning. The big one is the aggressor and he has about 20 smaller ones with him. So far they have not managed to get through the electric fence/perimeter around the house. As you know they are a protected species so I am not able to shoot them! The nature reserve wardens next to us have been contacted and they are not interested, which is fine until a visitor gets hurt or worse. I am sure the baboons also visit the reserve on the higher pastures. Any suggestions anyone?

In the meantime here are a few more wildlife photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Crested Crane.jpg (43.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Abdims Stork Kenya.jpg (92.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Burchells Zebras.jpg (82.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Hyena and Crested Crane.jpg (62.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Matriarch at the rear .JPG (81.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 26th October 2012, 17:03   #37
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Another thing I guess you won't miss are the baboons. We are having a problem on the mountain as they have been coming down to the house at night and early morning. The big one is the aggressor and he has about 20 smaller ones with him. So far they have not managed to get through the electric fence/perimeter around the house. As you know they are a protected species so I am not able to shoot them! The nature reserve wardens next to us have been contacted and they are not interested, which is fine until a visitor gets hurt or worse. I am sure the baboons also visit the reserve on the higher pastures. Any suggestions anyone?

In the meantime here are a few more wildlife photos
Great shots there Phil, I had some wildlife of my own deposited in my study the other day by one of my 'big cats'

The bird was a Dove I think, very young but I managed to let it out and it flew away so hopefully lived to fight another day!
Old 7th July 2013, 06:58   #38
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Great shots there Phil, I had some wildlife of my own deposited in my study the other day by one of my 'big cats'

The bird was a Dove I think, very young but I managed to let it out and it flew away so hopefully lived to fight another day!
It was really very kind of you Jeff to help the bird out and and on its way
Old 7th July 2013, 07:21   #39
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

I am just catching up on some wildlife photos. I took these recently out in the bush, up country

A mix of Weavers and Cordon-bleu's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baglafect Weaver. adult breeding male.jpg (49.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg swamp reeds Laikipia Kenya.jpg (87.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Halub.s Golden Weaver and Red Cheeked Cordon bleu.jpg (103.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg pond in the bush.jpg (49.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 6th November 2014, 11:12   #40
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Default A garden visitor

A male Blue Headed Agama bopped its head up on Sunday. The head bopping is part of the courtship ritual for all to see