Notices

Old 6th January 2019, 09:39   #143871
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Is it today the Christmas decorations come down?
Yes it is Ian, there is something wrong with your gas system somewhere, as said, there should be no smell of fumes at all, unless the gas is on and not ignited.
Old 6th January 2019, 15:09   #143872
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Yes it is Ian, there is something wrong with your gas system somewhere, as said, there should be no smell of fumes at all, unless the gas is on and not ignited.

No gas leak, we had the utility gas board guy out a couple of weeks ago and he did a leak test which was OK.
I'm just back from hospital duties seeing Mam at Bolton (Well enough to go home tomorrow thank heavens) and entering the house I can smell & taste fumes, there's nowt on regarding central heating or the gas fire in the house!!!

Rainbow trout with a spinach & feta cheese filling, herby potato wedges & runner beans for tea.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 15:58   #143873
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
No gas leak, we had the utility gas board guy out a couple of weeks ago and he did a leak test which was OK.
I'm just back from hospital duties seeing Mam at Bolton (Well enough to go home tomorrow thank heavens) and entering the house I can smell & taste fumes, there's nowt on regarding central heating or the gas fire in the house!!!

Rainbow trout with a spinach & feta cheese filling, herby potato wedfges & runner beans for tea.
Good news about your mum Ian.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 17:06   #143874
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Morning all, very mild today with thick grey cloud.

Yes the vents are clear, You can still smell it when the gas fire or central heating boiler aren't on!!!
I've been leaving the upstairs windows open as I can literally taste it in my sleep and my eyes smart.

It stinks again of fumes when I went downstairs this morning as well.
I hope you don't mind me replying to your post a bit more fully.

From what you are saying the situation is quite serious.

To manufacture carbon monoxide the gas has to be burning. There are a couple of ways this can happen. The main burner and the pilot light both produce this deadly gas.
The amount from the pilot light would be very small and not normally cause any problems. However, from your description, much more carbon monoxide is being produced.
Lots of gas appliances have a viewing window to see if the main burner is alight.

When you say the boiler is OFF are you sure it is completely shut down ??
ie. Producing no heat at all.

If the gas valve is not shut right down there could be a small seepage of gas to the main burner which will burn with a very low flame.

Normally the system above the main burner is self purging. The amount of heat produced will make CO produced go straight up and out of the vent.

However, if the main burner is only just alight with a very small flame there might not be a sufficient convection current to clear the CO gas. The gas being heavier than air will come out of the bottom of the boiler and into the room.--

Last edited by COLVERT; 6th January 2019 at 17:18..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 17:17   #143875
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

2nd post. ( My computer sometimes plays up and I lose my post. To stop this happening I'm doing post No 2. )

Further to the post above . Lol.

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas which when breathed in stops the red blood cells from carrying oxygen.--The person affect slowly suffocates.

If the person affected is sleeping the usual result is that they just don't ever wake up again.--

Mild effects are sickness and headaches with, sometimes, a bit of memory loss. Even getting a person out into the fresh air doesn't help as their red blood cells are not working. Serious cases need a blood transfusion.

Sorry to go on a bit but what you said in your post is a bit worrying.

Last edited by COLVERT; 6th January 2019 at 19:56..
Old 6th January 2019, 17:54   #143876
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Mild effects are sickness and headaches
Had then when I was younger and we lived in Berwick. My mother used to get unexplained migraines, eventually discovered the flue from the gas central heating boiler and fire had become disconnected and she had mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Didn't affect my father and I as we didn't spend nearly as much time in the house.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 18:04   #143877
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Afternoon all, More trouble at't mill! Had to rush Mam to the hospital late last night, breathing difficulties & being sick and really confused, never seen her like that before, she didn't know where she was!!.

Bolton hospital has had restrictions for the last few weeks because of an outbreak of Novovirus, I'm hoping she doesn't contract that there.

She's been put on oxygen and had chest xrays and we're just waiting on a phone call to say whether she'll be staying in or ready to come home.

Just shoved a pizza and some oven chips in the oven for tea, I'm starving.

Just reading through the last couple of pages of posts and I suddenly realised what I said might give an explanation of what might have affected your mother unless you are in different houses.
Old 7th January 2019, 05:59   #143878
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:

Rainbow trout with a spinach & feta cheese filling, herby potato wedges & runner beans for tea.
Good morning Ian, good morning all. That is great news about your mum being out of danger and getting out of hospital. As for the smell, I wonder if it could be a dead mouse under the floor boards as well as noxious smells from the unknown source.

It is a lovely day here in Nairobi, not a cloud in the sky, bright sunshine and 26C is forecast. I had the renewal insurance premiums in by email for the Rover 75 and the 4x4. Different countries, but both due in 2 weeks time. Not very good planning on my part: at the same time and just after Christmas, but it is what it is and I shouldn’t complain.

Good luck with your house and the smells. One thing I won’t miss from the house in London is the mice!
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 07:05   #143879
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Good news that your Mum should be okay to go home today.

As others have said, I would be banging on doors and ringing bells to get your house looked at to find the cause of the smell you are experiencing. I wouldn't rest until the issue has been resolved!

Talking of mice, we have a lovely little Pud Tat at the rescue at the moment who was practicing sharpening her teeth and claws on my hand. She will make a great mouser

CC9J4993-Edit by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Old 7th January 2019, 07:08   #143880
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Morning all.

A tad overcast here but very mild with it.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote