Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2009, 10:59   #11
big_mac
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8

it's quite possible that they will re-introduce the £400+ charge in 2011, officially it was only delayed and not scrapped.
big_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 15:06   #12
tazman3
Posted a thing or two

Mercedes C200

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mac View Post
it's quite possible that they will re-introduce the £400+ charge in 2011, officially it was only delayed and not scrapped.
true but i will have had nearly three years of grinning driving the 190 by then...

guess i will make my mind up then whether to keep or not...
tazman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 15:22   #13
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Time to scrap road tax & put extra tax on fuel?

That way people pay for what they use. Some will gain, some will lose.

It would also generate revenue from vehicles not licenced in the UK. Just look how many foreign cars you see around & about. Also, HGV vehicles entering the country would have to pay a 'Duty Penalty Fee' if their fuel tanks are over half full.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 15:38   #14
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post

That way people pay for what they use. Some will gain, some will lose.

However I believe the tax increases are meant to be a green tax and we already have had this added to the fuel so it's just another way of charging us for the same thing.

I read a report in new scientist (I think thats right) a few years back that there is an alternative to reducing CO2 and thats to adsorb it or to convert it into something else like nature does. I seem to remember that theoretiucally a tonne could be gotten rid of for the cost of pennies if it was done in mass scale.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 16:34   #15
Petrow
Avid contributor

75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post

I read a report in new scientist (I think thats right) a few years back that there is an alternative to reducing CO2 and thats to adsorb it or to convert it into something else like nature does. I seem to remember that theoretiucally a tonne could be gotten rid of for the cost of pennies if it was done in mass scale.
Sorry, but New Scientist has become a pseudo-science magazine as far as global warming is concerned. It is totally one-sided in its reporting. I used to buy it - right from its start in the 50's - but I've given up in despair.
Yes, there are people who have proposed various ways of sequestering CO2, but there is no point in trying to get rid of the stuff. It is not a pollutant - it is an essential ingredient for all life on Earth. There is not one shred of evidence that it affects global temperatures. Its present level is very low - about the lowest it has ever been in the history of the Earth. More would be a good thing. Commercial greenhouse owners add CO2 to their greenhouse atmospheres because it helps the plants to grow. Plants thrive on CO2. They take the carbon, then throw out the oxygen, which is a poison to them. But animals like us thrive on the oxygen the plants produce. Only fools like politicians and unthinking so-called environmentalists would want to limit this wholly beneficial natural process.
Petrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 18:50   #16
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrow View Post
Sorry, but New Scientist has become a pseudo-science magazine as far as global warming is concerned. It is totally one-sided in its reporting. I used to buy it - right from its start in the 50's - but I've given up in despair.
Yes, there are people who have proposed various ways of sequestering CO2, but there is no point in trying to get rid of the stuff. It is not a pollutant - it is an essential ingredient for all life on Earth. There is not one shred of evidence that it affects global temperatures. Its present level is very low - about the lowest it has ever been in the history of the Earth. More would be a good thing. Commercial greenhouse owners add CO2 to their greenhouse atmospheres because it helps the plants to grow. Plants thrive on CO2. They take the carbon, then throw out the oxygen, which is a poison to them. But animals like us thrive on the oxygen the plants produce. Only fools like politicians and unthinking so-called environmentalists would want to limit this wholly beneficial natural process.
Not being an expert I wouldn't know wither way. Just in case, I drive a Green car. At least I'm doing my bit.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 06:26   #17
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by P63500S View Post
i agree £245 sounds just about bearable
£245 is outrageous especially considering only a tiny proportion of it is actually spent on the roads.

Unfortunately you've fallen for the old trick the Government and councils pull all the time. It does the same trick with council tax every year, and we ALL fall for it! here's how it works :

1) Government leaks to the papers that there will be a huge increase (say 50%).
2) Public outcry, papers help to stir it up, petitions are made, etc.
3) Government announces increase will only be 15%.
4) Public sigh with relief and are happy, not realising they've just been shafted by an increase of 5 times the rate of inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
Good idea, in theory - except that whenever there is a change in the way of doing things there is always an overall increase. It happened when rates became poll tax, and again when it changed to council tax. The total cash taken in by the Government would increase, as would the amount the average driver would end up paying. I have no doubt about that.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 07:15   #18
bigmark
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon cdt

does having lpg make your tax cheeper on any car ?
bigmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:44   #19
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

IMHO they should never have back dated the road tax hikes. Suddenly increasing the road tax on a 6year old motor from £210 to £415 (or £440 at worst) was...is totally unreasonable.

If these tax rules do go through, hopefully they will only affect cars registered from the date of the increase.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 19:57   #20
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

As far as I can work it out, the new higher rates apply to cars registered on or after 2006, in the same way as when Brown introduced the new higher band, (I forget what letter it is !!). So there is still some degree of retrospection but not so much as before.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote