Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th December 2017, 10:00   #31
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I was speaking to somebody today who used to install LPG systems a few years ago. He was telling me some of the problems he used to have and even though the supplier of the kit for each car would state it would fit when he came across a problem they would often confess they had never actually fitted one to that model and to let them know how it worked out.

He also said some engines would just never run right even though the were perfectly adjusted. 4.2 Range Rover's, V70 Volvo's were always a problem together with straight six Jag's apparently.

He got out of the business when customers started to complain that there were lack of sites to get LPG. I dont know what it is like around you but we have one site that sells LPG within 20 miles of here and they often run out.
Sadly the cancellation of the excellent Government Powershift Scheme where new vehicles and vehicles up to three years old could get a grant to cover 80% of the LPG conversion cost was the reason for the sudden lack of demand

At the same time the Government was wrongly advised that Diesels would somehow “save the planet” and so the emphasis and tax benefits moved from a fuel (LPG) that was otherwise “flared off” on the rigs (ie it is a waste product) but when used to power a car gave out virtually no particulate emissions - to a fuel that produced shed loads of really nasty particulates.

It is a sad fact that had the tax incentives given to diesels been given to LPG (and CNG) then our streets would not be anywhere near so polluted.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2017, 19:24   #32
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
If set up correctly any petrol engine will run on petrol better and smoother than it runs on petrol. LPG has a far higher octane rating but a lower calorific value - which works well because you can get a more complete combustion- hence the significantly lower emissions.

However! - LPG is a gas as it goes through the valves rather than an atomised liquid and so it’s ability to lubricate the valves is virtually non existent.

Anyone running a car on LPG really should have a simple valve lubrication device fitted - if you google “LPG valve saver kit” - there are lots available.

Running an engine designed for petrol on LPG without one of these Valve Saver Kits is absolute folly IMO. They cost about £30 to £40 and the savings by way of cheaper fuel costs on LPG make paying for the lubricant every month or two an easy decision.
Damn Clive, if only I'd fitted a flashlube kit to my 214 before doing nearly 400,000 miles, it would have been ok

Not all engines converted to run on LPG require an additional upper cylinder lubricant, the K series being one, generally cars that were designed to run on unleaded fuel, will run on LPG without complaint.

Greeners old Primertallic V8, happily did over 160,000 miles on bottled dinosaur farts, so I can't see there being a problem with any other V8.

Anyway how does the use of flashlube lower running costs? I'm curious

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 15:31   #33
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Damn Clive, if only I'd fitted a flashlube kit to my 214 before doing nearly 400,000 miles, it would have been ok

Not all engines converted to run on LPG require an additional upper cylinder lubricant, the K series being one, generally cars that were designed to run on unleaded fuel, will run on LPG without complaint.

Greeners old Primertallic V8, happily did over 160,000 miles on bottled dinosaur farts, so I can't see there being a problem with any other V8.

Anyway how does the use of flashlube lower running costs? I'm curious

Brian

Quite correct. Absolutely no need for flashlube with K Series engines. I have done 100k in my old 1.8 on lpg and 50k so far in my V6 without incident or any problem.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote