Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st June 2009, 17:32   #1
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Default Who knows the north coast of France?

Off to france in three weeks aboard the motorbike, me and a Pal are crossing at dover early saturday morning and travelling the full north coast towards Brest and then catching the return sleeper ferry at Roscoff on Tuesday night.

We intend visiting the beach where Dad had his D-day landing along the way, and sticking to the coast as much as possible.

Can I ask for suggections for locations that are a 'must see' whilst we are touring along that coast?

Also can anyone suggest what a B&B is called in france?!
Any suggestions of particularly biker friendly stop-overs?...we are going to take the tents too but we thought just in case it rains...we'd have some accomodation in reserve.
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:10   #2
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Hi Jamie,

About the B&B, they are called "Chambre d'Hôtes" (do not pronounce the H and the S in Hôtes). I'm not much into camping and biking, so I'm sorry I can't help on this part .
From the looks of your post, you are more in the West than the north of France. In this case, the following locations might be interesting (in addition to Brest):
-Saint Malo
-Mont Saint Michel
By the way, our club fellow Geoffrey is in Rennes, which is not that far by the above :lol:
You could also visit Caen and the surrounding D-Day beaches, Deauville, Trouville, Fécamps, Etretat, Dieppe, Le Havre as well as Saint Malo and Mont Saint Michel as mentioned above... (check the map to plot your way through these locations as I wrote them in no particular order...)
Don't forget that Paris is a 3-hour drive from the above as well :lol:
If you need more info, please ask
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 18:48   #3
Bernard LPG

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Can't help with the bike friendly bit but if you are at all interested in the WW2 history then Pegasus bridge and cafe is a 'must see'. if you are following the coast you will go over the new bridge anyway.
The remains of the Mulberry harbour at Arromanche are worth seeing but I find the whole area fascinating and have returned to it many times now.
Worth going inland a bit to go back further in time to see the Bayeux Tapestry.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:31   #4
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Thanks Majed and Bernard...I have cut and pasted you suggestions into a word doocument to print off.

Thanks again. j
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:57   #5
Neil Coupland
Gets stuck in

Range Rover Sport, MG TF 160 Aubergine

Hi Jamie

I can echo the comments above, we were in Normandy last year. Hornfleur is very pretty and plenty of cafes along the harbour. Trouville has a "faded glory" as a seaside resort, but still nice to enjoy your ice craem along the boardwalk.
The D Day sites are numerous and well signed. We went over Pegasus Bridge but didn't have time to visit the museum. Arromanche was busy but the whole stretch of that coast is littered with reminders of WW11.
Spend a day in Bayeux, it was spared the fighting so a lot of the old town still exists. The tapestry is worth seeing together with the exhibition that accompanies it. The tapestry is very long, but the narrative that you listen to moves a steady pace so you don't have time to linger.
We crossed to Calais then took the motorway south. If you follow the coast you will need to cross the Siene at Le Harve over the Pont de Normandie (The Normandy Bridge), its about 2 km across.
Enjoy the trip, its a pleasant part of the world.
Neil Coupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:03   #6
Geoffrey
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon cdti + 214

Default Visiting the north coast of France

Your very tight schedule seems to have been filled three or four times over already by some very good suggestions. A pity you don't have more time to explore some of the Normandy countryside, but the D-day beaches obviously come high up on the list. If on your way back to Roscoff / Brest, there is not time to linger in Dinan or Morlaix, perhaps you might think of seeing at least one of the Breton 'enclos paroissiaux', for example Saint Thegonnec or Guimiliau, with their unique architecture and setting. The gigantic aquarium complex in Brest called 'Oceanopolis' is also something of a must, not only for children (and grown-up children) but also for scientists. It has to be seen to be believed, but you really need a couple of days to do it justice, and you're leaving on Tuesday ?

I do hope you manage to fit in some of the places members have suggested but be warned, Normandy and Brittany are both fascinating places, and provided the weather is kind, you will probably want to return!
Geoffrey.
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:47   #7
majedm75

Now you all got me wanting to visit the great west of France :lol:
Old 24th June 2009, 23:51   #8
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Brilliant suggestions there...I have been putting little red dots on the map ready for the final itenery...but as you say...time is tight! unfortunately the wives will only allow us a few days away each year to explore on the bikes...the intention is to return with the family at a later stage.

I have to say...we go away on the bikes every year now...but this trip to france really has got me going...Im so excited about the adventure but trying not to let the good lady know! dont want her thinking Ive had too much of a good time!!

anyways...3 weeks and counting!
Old 16th July 2009, 16:38   #9
majedm75

Any updates Jamie :lol:
Old 19th July 2009, 18:20   #10
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Hi Yes...off on Thursday night and crossing into Calais first thing friday, then we head west along the coast. cant wait!