Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2009, 18:37   #1
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Default Please tell me if I am stupid

I am having a funny five minutes and to be honest this is probably a pipedream but I would like to know others views on doing something that 12 months ago I would have not even considered.

I am thinking about taking a year out and driving around the coast of England, Wales and Scotland. I am wondering about buying a motorhome and selling it when we return. We have worked out the costings and it would be affordable for us so there are no worries there. We are thinking of doing it because neither of us are getting any younger and its something we have always wanted to do. This would be a big step and we know all the pitfalls like living in a confined space, parking the van and servicing/breakdowns etc. Its around 10500 miles and along the coast road for about 95% of the way. On average its about 30 miles a day but we would probably drive for 100 miles and stay for two or three days in one spot. We have hired a van quite a few times and enjoyed it but the longest we have done that is three weeks and this would be for around a year or possibly even longer if we decided we were enjoying it. I know this is something that is done quite often by some people and they go to Europe and Asia but we are an ordinary stay at home couple without the adventurous side that some have so we have decided the uk is better for us and could if needed get home quickly. We are thinking of doing it starting July next year which will give us time to get things sorted at home and will mean we start and end in the summer. We would be in Scotland for the winter which is what we are aiming for and would have a base up there to take the winter months out if we wanted or needed to because of the weather.

Well am I daft, should I be certified? As I said this is probably a pipe dream and I being me will find a thousand reasons not to do it but at the moment and for the past few months it seems to make sense

Have anyone else on here done it and enjoyed it, ended up divorced or hated it?

I am very interested in others opinions I have asked on motor caravan forums and getting the usual 'yes go for it' type of replies but I would also be interested of getting the views of people I know and trust so what better forum to ask on :lol:

I know I will get some replies taking the mick but I am also interested in serious replies as well

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is not a mid life crisis as mid life was 20 years ago

Ken :lol:
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 18:49   #2
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Do it. Life's too short not to do the things that you want to.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 18:56   #3
billnick
Loves to post

ex 75

Hi Ken, Life is to short, don't think about it, just do it:lol:, my cousin who is 65 has a canal boat and goes away for 4 months at a time and loves it.

regards bill.
billnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 18:56   #4
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Do it, if all goes pear shaped you can call it quits but a really doubt it will, I cycled from John O'Groat to Lands End and an considering doing it the other way round in 2012 - 20 years after the original trip. If it is something you want to do, then do it, it is far better to do it and have some ups and downs along the way than not do it and then regret it.

Having an ambition and working to fulfil it is something many never get the chance (or have the imagination) to do - if you have the chance and the ambition then do it regardless of what the doom and gloom mongers will say.

That's my two pence worth over!
Old 7th June 2009, 18:59   #5
Jürgen
Posted a thing or two

Ken, if you already did it for three weeks and did not start to hate it yet, I would give it a try. If it should turn out to be not enjoyable anymore some time during the long journey, you will have the option to end it sooner than planned. But I doubt it, as there are so many interesting places to see. :lol:
Old 7th June 2009, 19:02   #6
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

You're not alone here ..... this or maybe Boat.. has been a Pipe dream for me for ages.

A nice big fully fitted yankee wagon .. and go anywhere, you can fit it .

Chris
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 19:04   #7
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Go for it Ken I am sure that knowing you that you will enjoy every minute come the ups and downs I am still caravanning at 76 going on 77 its a good life
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 19:04   #8
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Do it. I think if you have the opportunity to do it you should.
I spent a year in Crete and never regretted it. If I could do it again I would.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 19:09   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I am having a funny five minutes and to be honest this is probably a pipedream but I would like to know others views on doing something that 12 months ago I would have not even considered.

I am thinking about taking a year out and driving around the coast of England, Wales and Scotland. I am wondering about buying a motorhome and selling it when we return. We have worked out the costings and it would be affordable for us so there are no worries there. We are thinking of doing it because neither of us are getting any younger and its something we have always wanted to do. This would be a big step and we know all the pitfalls like living in a confined space, parking the van and servicing/breakdowns etc. Its around 10500 miles and along the coast road for about 95% of the way. On average its about 30 miles a day but we would probably drive for 100 miles and stay for two or three days in one spot. We have hired a van quite a few times and enjoyed it but the longest we have done that is three weeks and this would be for around a year or possibly even longer if we decided we were enjoying it. I know this is something that is done quite often by some people and they go to Europe and Asia but we are an ordinary stay at home couple without the adventurous side that some have so we have decided the uk is better for us and could if needed get home quickly. We are thinking of doing it starting July next year which will give us time to get things sorted at home and will mean we start and end in the summer. We would be in Scotland for the winter which is what we are aiming for and would have a base up there to take the winter months out if we wanted or needed to because of the weather.

Well am I daft, should I be certified? As I said this is probably a pipe dream and I being me will find a thousand reasons not to do it but at the moment and for the past few months it seems to make sense

Have anyone else on here done it and enjoyed it, ended up divorced or hated it?

I am very interested in others opinions I have asked on motor caravan forums and getting the usual 'yes go for it' type of replies but I would also be interested of getting the views of people I know and trust so what better forum to ask on :lol:

I know I will get some replies taking the mick but I am also interested in serious replies as well

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is not a mid life crisis as mid life was 20 years ago

Ken :lol:
hi ken. just go and do it. like me, i do not want to be on my "deathbed", horrible word, but comes to us all, and think:"****** hell, i wish i had done that, and that and that.
you never know what is round the corner, so get on and do it, you wont regret it i'm sure.
good luck.
Old 7th June 2009, 19:11   #10
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Go for it Ken, nothing like being on the road. You can always take a break at home if it gets to much, then go off again.
I toured SA for 6 months in a Renault 1100 and a two man tent. 1986. I have also done several two month camper van trips across France and Italy. Not to mention how much of the UK.
As long as you are properly central heated is the only thing I would say in UK.

Oh yes and can I come.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote