Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th August 2018, 11:58   #1
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default What's in a name?

What’s in a name? Read something this morning (who said Mail on Sunday was no joke) that kept me laughing all day. An article about Haynes Manuals giving the latest news about their increasing of staff levels to meet demand for new products. Talk about riveting. Bless ‘em. I know the books have their critics but in my case (over 40 years until I was over 60) they were as indispensable as the car they described.

Must have saved me thousands over the years. They are expanding into other areas and formats, hence new advertising. The name of the chief operating officer, and I kid you not, is James Bunkum. Yes, Jimmy Bunkum.

Exit stage left, side stepping with hands circling and big smiley face, to strains of Somebody Stole My Gal, da-da-da-da-dar-darrr
Old 12th August 2018, 19:09   #2
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

In South Africa, we had need of a plumber to visit the house. Upon his arrival he introduced himself as Fannie De Kock. De Kock is not that uncommon. He can’t help his surname, but whatever possessed his parents to call him Fannie.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 11:52   #3
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I came across two that still make me smile.

When working as a design engineer we often put out work to subcontract offices and it was part of my job to check out all their work was to standard and accurate before it went to manufacture. Working on one I noticed the Draftsman's name was signed P. Soffe. I found out later the e was silent and yes he got a load of stick. His name was Peter so I asked him why didn't he sign his full name. His reply was why when it brings so much joy to so many.

The second was working as a production eng and one of our technical clerks was named Aphelia Bott. I kid you not, who on earth would call their daughter that.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 12:27   #4
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Had a customer...

When I first left school in 1982 I worked for TSB ( when it was a sensibly run bank..before they went all 'retail' and product sales and sales driven lending)
Now living a stones throw from Dundee I had customer called.....

Emma Hoare.....

Given the Dundee dialect....

What possessed her parents?

Also had another who was called Veronica Dorward who refused to initial anything..'.full name only, Christopher! No initials from me.' she would chuckle.

Both absolutely true!

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote