Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2014, 20:50   #61
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Yes, there is a lot of work to get it back to an "as new" condition, however to getting it into a running state is much less.

A detailed report Phil, thanks for taking the time to do it and provide feedback to everyone I was just going through your findings and working out the costs involved in getting the car to a presentable state and back on the road. One would have to have a budget of around £2000 for starters. That is sourcing some of the parts from the forum traders like the missing trim parts, getting replacement bumpers, disc brakes and pads all round, a pair of new springs, body work repairs, then there is the engine and query gearbox issue, as yet unknown. Maybe not as bad as feared.

I wonder what the T4 would have to say? Hypothetical at this stage

£2000 soon goes on a car such as this one.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 21:13   #62
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Its very hard to budget Phil depending on what "standard" you want to bring the car too.

On the surface a few hundred quid would probably give you a running car but like any car project if you take it on, you have to set the standard you want to get to and be committed to it.

There are those that restore vehicles and cost doesn't matter because THEY want to do it and enjoy it, there are others who restore and just think "how much will it be worth when i finish"

I would like to have an early car but don't have any room to store or work on them.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 21:18   #63
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Its very hard to budget Phil depending on what "standard" you want to bring the car too.

On the surface a few hundred quid would probably give you a running car but like any car project if you take it on, you have to set the standard you want to get to and be committed to it.

There are those that restore vehicles and cost doesn't matter because THEY want to do it and enjoy it, there are others who restore and just think "how much will it be worth when i finish"

I would like to have an early car but don't have any room to store or work on them.
when it comes to evaluating projects I normally ask myself how much would I spend down the pub in the hours it will take me to do it...

If I have something useful and it costs me less than destroying brain cells then I cant be a bad thing can it...
Old 10th May 2014, 07:34   #64
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

The problem is there is a nice low miles mot'd one for sale on the bay for 995.

So is anyone who does of because they enjoy it going to save the car then. Lots of people have said if should be saved but no one has said they will

Last edited by ukmastiff; 10th May 2014 at 07:42..
ukmastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 07:45   #65
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

I have not the space or need for another launch car but if it saves it ill chuck a few quid in a pot.
Even if its parked for a couple of years till we can do something about it. What do you say
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 07:55   #66
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

I don't think communal cars work and I wouldn't help pay to do up someone else's car. If the car was uber rare or special I'd maybe keep it but a 99 dealer car isn't is it ?. I can just hear the ' oh its not an s reg' now

I've helped lots of people fix their cars though especially if they're stuck or fell on difficult times , that's completely dirrerent and very satisfying even for a wally mechanic like me.

To put it in perspective , how many left shows 12 98 cars and over 2000 99 ones. I don't know if we can tell how many of the 2000 are launch cars though

Last edited by ukmastiff; 10th May 2014 at 08:02..
ukmastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 08:20   #67
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

If a member buys it to restore or some of you lot club together to buy it to restore again. I will willingly donate the parts if I have them. I dont want to see it broken up.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 09:03   #68
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default It was only a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancar View Post
If a member buys it to restore or some of you lot club together to buy it to restore again. I will willingly donate the parts if I have them. I dont want to see it broken up.
As an Idea, it was not for a car to be owned by any one person. The idea is for the car to be made into a museum piece and given to such a place. As a launch car it's good that it's still around, the ones that are left can soon thin out. There's something good about a group of people doing something like this, a car that would go on show for future generations to see. I do get a bit rose tinted over my cars and it keeps it fresh for me.
If anyone is folowing the Victor, they're now down to Nine in the format mine is....The Rovers will surely follow.
The Cortina I've been involved in is fast nearing completion, have a look...Anything is possible. It's all about belief.

Last edited by Saga Lout; 10th December 2015 at 12:47..
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 12:25   #69
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmastiff View Post
I don't think communal cars work and I wouldn't help pay to do up someone else's car. If the car was uber rare or special I'd maybe keep it but a 99 dealer car isn't is it ?. I can just hear the ' oh its not an s reg' now

I've helped lots of people fix their cars though especially if they're stuck or fell on difficult times , that's completely dirrerent and very satisfying even for a wally mechanic like me.

To put it in perspective , how many left shows 12 98 cars and over 2000 99 ones. I don't know if we can tell how many of the 2000 are launch cars though
Can you point me in the direction of the twelve 98 cars please?
Old 10th May 2014, 12:29   #70
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
As an Idea, it was not for a car to be owned by any one person. The idea is for the car to be made into a museum piece and given to such a place. As a launch car it's good that it's still around, the ones that are left can soon thin out. There's something good about a group of people doing something like this, a car that would go on show for future generations to see. I do get a bit rose tinted over my cars and it keeps it fresh for me.
If anyone is folowing the Victor, they're now down to Nine in the format mine is....The Rovers will surely follow.
The Cortina I've been involved in is fast nearing completion, have a look...Anything is possible. It's all about belief.
Mike is the car in question a high spec launch car, ie a fine example of MGR engineering and design? One criticism of OVP was that it is a base model