Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2014, 10:34   #31
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petetourer View Post
.. Take your initial budget and double it ..
That's very true. It also applies, in my experience, to house maintenance, and Mr. Average who takes his fashionable German vehicle for dealer service.

Quote:
Even then you will never make money on it...
Of course you won't! The financial values of 75/ZTs aren't high enough. There's not enough room for a profit, which is why dealers usually steer clear.
Quote:
Maybe in 15-20 years you will start to see a return on your investment....
Let's be realistic; cars are not investments. They are a continuing expense. Even the owner of a valuable Aston Martin, for example, has storage and maintenance costs as well as insurance which obviously won't be cheap.

Simon
Old 8th May 2014, 10:42   #32
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

I'm sorry but there are plenty of people who buy cars ( including 75's and ZT's ) and including on this forum, turn the round quickly and take a sensible profit. So cars can indeed be an 'investment' or even someone's living. If not we wouldn't have car dealers or 'DIY traders'.

It's just not my bag as I'm happy to enjoy a car and take a 'small' loss for my enjoyment of it. I broke even on a 944 turbo once though now that was a miracle for me ! , and I would have accidentally made a £500 pound profit if the MAF hadn't failed weeks before I sold it. I'm glad it failed before I sold it though. I'd have hated it failing immediately on the new buyer so wasn't bothered.

I'm not suggesting this one is an investment by the way ooooh definately not suggesting that just interesting.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:42   #33
Petetourer
This is my second home

None at present

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
That's very true. It also applies, in my experience, to house maintenance, and Mr. Average who takes his fashionable German vehicle for dealer service.

Of course you won't! The financial values of 75/ZTs aren't high enough. There's not enough room for a profit, which is why dealers usually steer clear.

Let's be realistic; cars are not investments. They are a continuing expense. Even the owner of a valuable Aston Martin, for example, has storage and maintenance costs as well as insurance which obviously won't be cheap.

Simon

My post was a general overview for anyone thinking of taking this on mate.

For someone that's not done it before it's handy to have some insight.

I think we are all aware of cars not being an investment, less so of the potential for them to become a money pit. However, I would only buy this car if thinking of keeping it for a long long time... At this point it could well rise in value and provide a return on the cash invested

Then a 2002 MG ZT-T CDTI + in Starlight Silver

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 + in Royal Blue

Then a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connie SE

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.0 CDTi + In Le Mans Green
2004 1.8T ZT-T + In Goodwood Green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Petetourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 11:09   #34
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Default '1998' 75 Connoisseur in dire need of work

It would be interesting to get an opinion on the launch car at Gaydon 100001# and its monetary value from the museum people themselves - a 75 in mint condition could realise, the Gaydon launch car against an early launch car fully restored as a future classic .

To what end it would fit into this thread I am not sure, just brainstorming

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399547139.639078.jpg
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 13:07   #35
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Let's take it to another level?

As a club, a lot of money was raised to help David out of his fix, is there not scope for this car to bought by everyone chipping in if they can. It could be repaired to a mint condition to match the museum car, and nobody would have the outlay save for a few quid each. The car could then become The official Club car and offered to a museum as per the Gaydon one. The club and its members could offer all the bits to get this done by? and the car could represent the Club, maybe let each museum use it on a rota.
It's just an idea....
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 13:17   #36
Petetourer
This is my second home

None at present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
As a club, a lot of money was raised to help David out of his fix, is there not scope for this car to bought by everyone chipping in if they can. It could be repaired to a mint condition to match the museum car, and nobody would have the outlay save for a few quid each. The car could then become The official Club car and offered to a museum as per the Gaydon one. The club and its members could offer all the bits to get this done by? and the car could represent the Club, maybe let each museum use it on a rota.
It's just an idea....
I good idea in principal, but I fear it could well get a bit complicated further down the line

One thing for sure is that it would not be a official club car. There have been many a thread about the way the club is run and at the end of the day it is I business. If the club buys it then fair enough, but if a group if members were to club together then it would have to be a members car.

I feel that everything would have to be agreed prior to purchase. Things like the use if the car (both in the immediate future and further ahead) and how much everyone would need to chip in to get it back to A1, what happens if the budget is overrun or if there is money left over? It could get very complicated.

The timescale of that alone could lead to it being a no goer

I am not against the idea, but it would not be a straight forward plan.

With David it was quite simple, collect a load of cash and give it to him to do as he pleased whilst this was a very admirable gesture from members, I was not really too sure about the whole thing.

Then a 2002 MG ZT-T CDTI + in Starlight Silver

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 + in Royal Blue

Then a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connie SE

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.0 CDTi + In Le Mans Green
2004 1.8T ZT-T + In Goodwood Green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Petetourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 18:18   #37
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
It's just an idea....
Just like OVP?

Why not put some money into that? It has much better heritage than this one.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 18:37   #38
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Just out of curiosity (and because 'how many left' won't have anything like accurate details), how many launch cars were built, and how many still exist? I seriously have no idea how rare these cars are.
My instincts are telling me they're rare but as an officer of the 'save it police' my instincts and motivation must be suspect. 🌈
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 18:45   #39
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Just like OVP?

Why not put some money into that? It has much better heritage than this one.
It's a good point Rich, but that belongs to one person. My idea is to fund a car that nobody will own, nobody in the club that helps to do it or the club owners. I was thinking along the lines of making a perfect car that could be given to a museum from the club, maybe brought to meets and passed around other museums. It could be done with a club vote system.
Maybe OVP could be that car? We could all play a part for the sake of the car...
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 18:46   #40
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

I have to agree with pete I have had a member on here phone me today over the car. He asked how much to put a box in. But like I said to him it does not stop there belts need doing, as well. He has spoken to the lady and there is some other small faults as well. With what the lady will take for it and cost of repairing you will need deep pockets for this one. Yes its a nice example but there is no profit in it, its got to be brought for the love of the car . This sound bad I know but its a very good breaker and no I am not watching it or bidding on it.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote