Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2014, 07:51   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmastiff View Post
The lady has just told me the sump is smashed so not a minor gearbox tweek which is a shame.
Mas,

If you're interested, as with any car, it is important to view it yourself. Don't rely absolutely on the seller's description. In this case she may have mis-identified a part, or repeated what someone else has told her, because "the sump is smashed" doesn't make much sense to me without further detail.

It's still worth pursuing I would say.

Simon
Old 8th May 2014, 08:00   #22
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

Sump smashed was probably my poor description. The lady said she grounded the car leaving the liquid contents of the gearbox all over the road and zero gears selectable.
That defo sounds like a smashed gearbox to me

And yes if it werent for the fact that it defo needs a replacement gearbox I'd jump at the chance of slowly tinkering with it.
Not too sure re changing gearboxes after changing a manual gearbox not that long ago. It put me off lol

Cheers

Last edited by ukmastiff; 8th May 2014 at 08:23..
ukmastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 08:38   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The lady said she grounded the car leaving the liquid contents of the gearbox all over the road and zero gears selectable.
That defo sounds like a smashed gearbox to me ..
If I may say so, that's just a pessimistic guess. The problem could easily be a damaged fluid cooler line. These are mounted very low down and would be the first to be hit when running over a lump of granite, which is what the seller says happened in her revised listing. "Smashing" the gearbox casting would take such an enormous force that it would not be my first suspicion.

As I said, any prospective buyer needs to get on their hands and knees and inspect the damage. Only then will the truth be known.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 8th May 2014 at 08:42..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 09:05   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
If I may say so, that's just a pessimistic guess. The problem could easily be a damaged fluid cooler line. These are mounted very low down and would be the first to be hit when running over a lump of granite, which is what the seller says happened in her revised listing. "Smashing" the gearbox casting would take such an enormous force that it would not be my first suspicion.

As I said, any prospective buyer needs to get on their hands and knees and inspect the damage. Only then will the truth be known.

Simon

Good point Simon, given this 1998 is not the S reg I had at first wondered about. As for cracking the bell housing or anything else around there, how is a buyer going to check for that on a visit. Yes crawl underneath, what else? Any other tips like pushing the front of the car up and down to see if it bounces or not? Last year a visitor took his Kia company car, a 4x4 up the mountain off road and he hit a boulder which ruptured the fuel tank. It is rare but things like this can happen. As you say it is best to do a visual check.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 09:51   #25
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
I never suggested scrapping it, but suggesting it is like a Spitfire is, in my opinion, offensive.
No, you didn't explicitly state you thought it should be scrapped. I must ask, however, why you find the comparison offensive? My dad was a Squadron Leader in the RAF. I grew up as an Air Scout, something I was very proud of. To me the 75/ZTs represent the best of British cars (that the other 99% could actually buy) of their time. The Spitfire (I was lucky enough to sit in one when I was tiny) represented the best Britain could make at the time as a fighter plane.
I don't find the comparison offensive.
And I don't understand why being an advocate for keeping these cars (especially the rare ones such as this) on the road is a cause for derision, sarcasm or downright rudeness. There might be a lot of 75s/ZTs still on the roads but they're NOT making them anymore!
So if we keep on scrapping them there won't be any cars left to have a club with. And I don't believe MGR ever made a 'rubbish' 75 or ZT.
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 09:59   #26
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

Well PeteT lives up the road and if its a bargain he'll buy it wont he cos he's PeteT lol
Old 8th May 2014, 10:11   #27
Petetourer
This is my second home

None at present

Quote:
Well PeteT lives up the road and if its a bargain he'll buy it wont he cos he's PeteT lol

Alas, with a house move occurring and a current car that has cost me a small fortune to get it to where it is now, there is NO way I could buy this....

The problem is with a car like this is that no matter how desirable it is to keep on the road, it is more than likely that a breaker will pay more for it than someone wishing to put it back on the road..

Cars like this blow budgets... You may think you know what needs doing, but trust me there is always more that pops up... Take your initial budget and double it

Taking into account how much you are going to spend getting this back on the road and back to good condition and your purchase price is gonna need to be low.. Even then you will never make money on it...

So it needs to be someone who wants the car as a keeper and is not afraid to spend a fair chunk of cash on it... Maybe in 15-20 years you will start to see a return on your investment....

Compare that to someone who breaks these for a living and they already know how much can be made from the parts and the amount they would pay would (IMHO) be higher than most would pay for it....

Then a 2002 MG ZT-T CDTI + in Starlight Silver

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 + in Royal Blue

Then a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connie SE

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.0 CDTi + In Le Mans Green
2004 1.8T ZT-T + In Goodwood Green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Petetourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 10:17   #28
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

Pete we know what you are saying is 100 % correct , it had all of course occured to yours truly who never makes money on his cars anyway as you know just has a bit of fun then loses a tiny bit which is o.k with me

However if we were lucky enough for it not to go to a breaker then I did think youd be the one to take it before me

I hope the move goes well , I sent you an e mail about your move etc anyway

Cheers
Old 8th May 2014, 10:19   #29
Petetourer
This is my second home

None at present

Quote:
Pete we know what you are saying is 100 % correct , it had all of course occured to yours truly who never makes money on his cars anyway as you know just has a bit of fun then loses a tiny bit which is o.k with me

However if we were lucky enough for it not to go to a breaker then I did think youd be the one to take it before me

I hope the move goes well , I sent you an e mail about your move etc anyway

Cheers
Replied to your mail

I won't be bidding on the car mate. Have not even added it to the watch list.

Then a 2002 MG ZT-T CDTI + in Starlight Silver

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 + in Royal Blue

Then a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connie SE

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.0 CDTi + In Le Mans Green
2004 1.8T ZT-T + In Goodwood Green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Petetourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 10:26   #30
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Pete is right when he says you could blow budgets on a car like this, but if someone has got the money and know how to deal with the repairs and return the car to its former glory, then so much the better.

Given what Pete has just told us about his circumstances, a car such as this would not be suiting his needs I am guessing. Fair comment.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote