Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th September 2015, 20:03   #1
hotrdjon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 75 diesel engine oil and filter change

Had a good look round my newly aquired 2003 75 diesel and have decided to change the oil, and the air and oil filters. Do I need to remove the complete lower engine tray and also the big engine cover on the top of the engine.
hotrdjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 20:17   #2
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrdjon View Post
Had a good look round my newly aquired 2003 75 diesel and have decided to change the oil, and the air and oil filters. Do I need to remove the complete lower engine tray and also the big engine cover on the top of the engine.
Alright mate,

You will need to remove the engine cover for easier access to the air filter housing....5mm Allen keys for the air filter housing if I recall on mine.

To do the Oil change to drain the sump you will need access to the plug (15mm socket iirc) but if you have an under tray fitted then you will need to remove it for access.

For the oil filter you will need a 36mm socket for the hex head on top of its housing.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 20:18   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Hi John

You need to remove the undertray to get at the engine oil sump drain plug, unless a previous owner has performed the mod of cutting a hole in it to give access to the drain plug. You can change the oil filter without removing the engine top cover but you will need a 36mm socket to undo the filter housing - put some old rags over the alternator whilst doing this, to stop any oil drips going into the alternator.

For the air filter change, the engine top cover has to come off (3 x8mm bolts) , followed by the air intake duct (three screws/bolt on the slam panel- these can seize up, as well as two screws holding it onto the inlet manifold). The air filter housing then has to be removed - there are 5 x 5mm allen bolts holding this in place - you really need a 5mm allen socket and an extension bar to get at the three rear bolts- they are a bit tricky to get at. Whilst you have the air filter housing removed, it is worth changing the PCV filter at the same time - there are some 'how tos' for this, as well as the oil and air filter changes on this site - search for these using the google search tool- they will give more detail. Look for posts by Arctic - he has posted good 'how tos' for these jobs.

A Haynes manual may be useful as well, if you have not done these jobs before.

Good luck !

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 20:19   #4
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrdjon View Post
You need to remove the upper engine cover to get at your air filter and you need to remove the under tray to drain the sump for a oil change, unless you have a pelle pump to suck out the oil from the top!
Old 7th September 2015, 20:23   #5
hotrdjon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default oil and filters change

thanks for the info folks
hotrdjon is offline   Reply With Quote