Notices

Old 17th November 2020, 12:24   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
No, nobody's thought of that at all.

The new MG 5 estate is good for 200 motorway miles between charges, more in mixed driving. There are several other examples of EVs with similar or greater range - premium level saloons like the Polestar 2 or the Tesla Model 3, mid-size hatchbacks and crossovers like the VW ID3, Skoda Enyaq or the most recent Nissan Leaf, superminis like the Peugeot 208e, Vauxhall Corsa E or Renault Zoe and so on. All of these are capable of more than a short commute.
Ask about the range for these vehicles at -5 oC!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2020, 13:47   #22
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Oh !!--That's good news as I'll only be 103 in 20 years time.

Already looking forward to it.---
Based on heredity traits I have, at best, 6 years left. A sobering thought. However, there is a bright side. I now have all the cars I will ever need, never again will I actually buy another, and there will be suitable fuel readily available.

So, in May 2026 there will be a respectable R75 available and my subscription on here will mysteriously cease.
Old 17th November 2020, 18:54   #23
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post

Kev
That won't be a problem after the first few minutes because at the rate these batteries will have to discharge they will heat themselves up from the inside out.

Even the comparative low charge and discharge of your car battery warms the battery. Notice that the batteries are inside their own protective housing to stop the engine raising the battery temperature out of it safe working limit.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2020, 19:09   #24
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post

Kev

Yep, but even with pre-heating, range can drop by some 15 or even 20% in winter. That's why I didn't say that those cars can do 230-250 miles on a charge, although many of the ones I mentioned are in fact capable of this in warmer weather. Thankfully, at our latitudes the sort of temperatures you mention are quite rare, even at night, and rarely persist for more than a few days a year. Unlike somewhere like Norway, where 56% of all cars sold last year were plug-in EVs of one sort or another.
A Nigerian mother of three

Last edited by andymc; 17th November 2020 at 19:12..
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2020, 19:16   #25
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Yep, but even with pre-heating, range can drop by some 15 or even 20% in winter. That's why I didn't say that those cars can do 230-250 miles on a charge, although many of the ones I mentioned are in fact capable of this in warmer weather. Thankfully, at our latitudes the sort of temperatures you mention are quite rare, even at night, and rarely persist for more than a few days a year. Unlike somewhere like Norway, where 56% of all cars sold last year were plug-in EVs of one sort or another.
Just curious but you say the range is less in winter. Could you tell me the DETAILS of why you think that is so ???

Thanks in advance cos I love to learn new things.--
Old 17th November 2020, 20:31   #26
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Sure - for clarity, are you asking me why this happens, or where I get the information from?
Old 17th November 2020, 22:05   #27
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Sure - for clarity, are you asking me why this happens, or where I get the information from?
Both I guess. It would be interesting to know.---
Old 18th November 2020, 12:54   #28
andymc
Posted a thing or two

As with any vehicle, "official" EV range (fuel efficiency) figures come from WLTP standardised testing. I think we all know this isn't realistic for any vehicle, but it's still an improvement on its predecessor, the NEDC. In fact, the US equivalent test, the EPA, seems to be the most accurate of the lot. Some manufacturers (including MG) have taken to providing their own real-world figures in addition to the WLTP. I had come across a table giving realistic ranges for various EVs some time back - I'll try to dig it out for you later.

Any car's fuel efficiency is affected by wet conditions (more drag and rolling resistance) and strong winds, especially headwinds. In my diesel 75s, I've seen as little as 520 miles from a tank in the depths of winter, when I was mainly doing a combination of short (10 miles) and moderate trips (25 miles) which meant that in addition to encountering poorer driving conditions more regularly, the engine wasn't at peak efficiency for a relatively high proportion of my mileage. That's some drop-off from the 630 or more miles I can expect from a tank in summer, or on long trips in good conditions. But my diesel car's range dropping from 630 miles to 520 miles was very unlikely to ever cause me to run dry before getting where I was going. EVs are affected by these issues as well, but it's more noticeable in the shorter-range ones like the original Leaf, the eGolf, the BMW i3 et al which had smaller batteries and took longer to recharge. The greater the range (and the quicker the recharge times), the less of an issue this becomes.

The batteries in some older EVs can be affected by extreme cold because very low temperatures make the electrolyte fluid inside them more viscous. More recent models have active thermal management systems to address this - although running that will also sap a minor additional amount of energy from the battery, it's certainly better than not having it at all. Whether or not your EV has this feature, if you have a driveway or garage you can plug it in overnight to programme a charge timed to finish shortly before you expect to set off. This means that on cold nights/mornings, you can use mains power to preheat the battery and cabin (like a 75 with an FBH), eliminating cold battery issues and unnecessary battery drain.

The relative efficiency of EVs compared to ICE cars is also a factor - I might come back to that, if you're interested, but I don't want to present you with a wall of text in this post.
Old 18th November 2020, 16:43   #29
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Will the 2030 end of petrol diesel car sales mean that somewhere before that date we will see the end of the major petrol powered race formula's ..F1 GTs Touring cars etc etc all to be replaced with EV racing (Formula Scalextric) which will of course still be moved around the globe by gas guzzling aircraft.
Not sure if motorcycles are included in the petrol powered ban which of course may see a return of the motorcycle-sidecar combination as a popular form of transport.
My own thoughts on a wet day..

Last edited by Ian G; 18th November 2020 at 17:00..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 17:38   #30
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Will the 2030 end of petrol diesel car sales mean that somewhere before that date we will see the end of the major petrol powered race formula's ..F1 GTs Touring cars etc etc all to be replaced with EV racing (Formula Scalextric) which will of course still be moved around the globe by gas guzzling aircraft.
Not sure if motorcycles are included in the petrol powered ban which of course may see a return of the motorcycle-sidecar combination as a popular form of transport.
My own thoughts on a wet day..
I guess the side car could be one huge battery giving the electric powered motorbike an enormous range.----

( London---John O'Groats and back.-- ) One charge.-