Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2019, 18:21   #91
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Above battery voltage? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that Apart from the alternator there aren't any other large inductors or Capacitors in our Cars. Which you'd need in order to multiply voltage. What do you think happens in the ign switch...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

R.......................

Don't forget that induced EMF = -N dPhi/dt = -LdI/dt which means that the amplitude of the induced transient (voltage spike) is proportional to the rate of change of current, not the size of the current. It takes very little energy from an induced transient to damage a CMOS circuit.
Perhaps the above will explain to you why that part of my post is relevant?

As you are determined not to try to achieve a real understanding of the situation, I will not bother to try and correct that!

Perhaps the textbook needs to be reread?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 18:43   #92
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Do you have to ask Wes, it is the one that I choose. Obviously!

Only in Europe and NA. The only rules in many other parts of the world are to make as much money as possible. This includes the willingness to forge compliance stickers and apply them to dangerous goods.
Maninder, the thing is both the Aldi and Lidl chargers are both TUV and CE marked, not forged markings, but something that has been proven to be of satisfactory quality by Technischer Überwachungsverein.

Now I own a Timex Indiglo wristwatch, which keeps far better time than my other timepiece, a Rolex Airking, the latter cost me more than I paid for both my 75 and ZT combined, and that was twenty five years ago.

We are talking about two discount supermarkets, both German owned, and dare I say it fairly unlikely to be in the business of importing dangerous electrical equipment into the country, to sell to an unsuspecting public.

Where are Ctek chargers manufactured by the way? in Sweden? or more likely as not PRC

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 19:37   #93
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Well, we have now surpassed 100 postings from my simple question "Is my Aldi charger suitable for my AGM battery?".
I never expected such a lengthy and technical debate but it's been very interesting.
I am pretty certain it will charge the battery ok, but as to if it's the best or safest option, I assume there will never be a clear-cut answer.
The charger has worked well on a conventional lead-acid and also on a EFB battery, but not yet tried on my AGM battery. I suspect I will be trying it soon, unless I am talked out of it.
Thanks for all the contributions.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 19:41   #94
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Do you have to ask Wes, it is the one that I choose. Obviously!
Obviously! What was I thinking?

Quote:
Only in Europe and NA. The only rules in many other parts of the world are to make as much money as possible. This includes the willingness to forge compliance stickers and apply them to dangerous goods.
Ah! but I was trying to stay within the compliance of things, goods that are sold here in the UK in every hight street store, products that have been imported with the appropriated certificates such as the Aldi and Lidl car chargers.

If we start to delve into the dark side of manufacturing, such as those dodgy factories that operate under the radar churning out dangerous goods, then we will need to start a whole new topic/debate.

The focus for many manufacture's is to make quality products, retailers don't want to sell poor quality goods to their customers as this will destroy their business in no time. There will be programs many manufacture's have in place to ensure proper processes are utilized in making a specific product well.

Maninder, Were you referring to the dodgy products being sold on ebay and the like, the ones bought from the far east by those small one man business operations selling from home to fund their greedy lifestyles?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 19:44   #95
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Why is it that people who fail to understand say "you are confusing me"?

Possibly because you are a rotten teacher.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 20:09   #96
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Well, rain stopped play the other day so the car was only on the charger an hour - no I did not disconnect the battery!! Still got enough juice into it to start the car the next morning, then got it back on the charger the following night for about 3 hours. I bought it because I trust it to charge a battery when required to, what else do you need from a charger??? £22.97 for the charger and a pair of quality Michelin wiper blades delivered to my door, can’t beat it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 21:20   #97
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

Generally speaking a high price indicates either good quality or bad value, whereas a low price indicates either poor quality or good value....

That is one quote I’ll try to store in my memory bank for future reference.
Very good indeed..👌.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 08:36   #98
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Where are Ctek chargers manufactured by the way? in Sweden? or more likely as not PRC
Mine was indeed made in China. They are capable of making high quality goods as well as cheap rubbish. It all depends upon the client's specification and willingness to pay.

Simon
Old 21st February 2019, 08:52   #99
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The CTEK chargers are designed and tested/qualified in Sweden. They are manufactured in China to CTEK quality specifications..

This is a similar model to that used by a number of other recognised quality manufacturers.

The model is very different to the generic items, sold under many names, whose "design, test and qualification" is often carried under very different business ethics.

I, like many other modellers (mostly in the US) spent a number of years playing with far eastern petrol model aircraft engines which had the same form (but not the functionality!) as US/Japanese engines. You kept seeing the same engines being sold under different names and were in the most part completely rubbish. These would often last 3-6 months of flying whereas a Zenoah will easily last 10-20 years. Fortunately, I have my stockpile of new Zenoah's in the cupboard.

Ultimately, it is all to do with business ethics.

I found this yesterday - make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBg4ximDrsk
Old 21st February 2019, 09:00   #100
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Possibly because you are a rotten teacher.-----

Oi

PS I do not teach, I give people the opportunity to see the light. Some are capable of doing so!