Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th April 2018, 09:13   #1
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts
Default Data Recovery question & cost

I bought a 2tb external hard drive about 3 months ago and its stopped working, cost about £80 still under warranty and Seagate will replace but want £800 to recover the data on it !

Big lesson learned as I do not have it backed up !

Symptoms are drive is recognised in device manager but not disk management and it doesn’t show up or is recognised as a drive in explorer.

I read that it could be an arm stuck on the disc and saw many you tube videos on how to fix so I took it out of the case and and started to dismantle it but gave up as my drive looks different to the videos.

Found another company in Tamworth who want £400 + VAT, one in London for £97 ( which is a scam ) and Currys/PC World offer a service for £100 but when I took it to my local Currys they said if the drive wasn't spinning they couldn't do much and want me to go to PC World which I haven't done yet. ( and is a last option )

What I need is someone to take a look and see if the data is recoverable and I can go from there, happy to pay for recovery if its reasonable, problem is because it is not spinning up it's not visible as a drive so data stored on it cannot be viewed and it may need a manual recovery

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote