Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2018, 17:32   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi Steve (arctic), what I found interesting is the MOT pre checks section Refusal to MOT based on a list but this point in particular:

The reasons for refusing to carry out the test are:

Quote:
g. A proper examination cannot be carried out because any door, tailgate, boot, engine cover, fuel cap or other device designed to be readily opened cannot be readily opened.

In my entire driving life and MOT's never once has an MOT tester carried out any pre checks. I wondered if anyone has come across this?
Hi Gordon.
Maybe we do not notice it as they go about there test I say this because every time I take my car to the same MOT garage he the tester always.

First locks and unlock the car with the fob.

Then he will open the drivers front door check the seat belt.

Next he open the OS rear door checks seats belts in the rear and centre from that side.

Walks round opens the rear NS door checks seat belt.

Opens NS front door checks seat belt.

He then gets into drivers seat drives car into the station/area for testing the exhaust/wheels on the roller.

With the engine still running he pops front bonnet turns on the lights, sounds the horn, opens the boot with the touch button bottom of drivers foot well walks round to the back of the car and checks number plate lights shuts the boot.

In doing all those actions he as then checked the doors, bonnet, and boot opens but we maybe just do not realise it, I would imagine if for one reason or another any of the doors would not open up to that stage he may or I would like to think he would say I will make this a pre check for you as the door etc as not opened and so on, that is what I would hope Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:33   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Never had an advisory in my ownership! Oh dear! Jinxed it now!
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:44   #13
chgperformance
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi Steve (arctic), what I found interesting is the MOT pre checks section Refusal to MOT based on a list but this point in particular:

The reasons for refusing to carry out the test are:

g. A proper examination cannot be carried out because any door, tailgate, boot, engine cover, fuel cap or other device designed to be readily opened cannot be readily opened.

In my entire driving life and MOT's never once has an MOT tester carried out any pre checks. I wondered if anyone has come across this?

We only ever refused to do a test once and that was because the car was too low to get on the bay. Stupid thing!

Tbh, I think most people would put those items down above as a failure/advisory depending on what it is.
chgperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 23:11   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Why take a vehicle for an MOT test with an almost illegal tyre? A front tyre at that. I would be ashamed to admit the fact. Ttssskkk.
Old 14th March 2018, 16:24   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

First thing the mot tester did to mine this morning before he took it into the garage was..........open all the doors and boot lid. I suppose it is only right that if you can not open the doors, it not fit to be on the road. How about you having an accident and you or passengers can not get out? My car was used for ‘ quality control’ of a new mechanic, being trained as a mot tester. When told, I thought ‘that’s it, it’s failed’ ��. I have taken my cars to the the same service centre for around 30 years both for jobs I am unable to do myself, and also for mot. The reason being, that if you find a company that tells you the truth and does not try to rip you off with misdiagnosis and lies, someone who phones you up while your car is in for mot to tell you that something is wrong, and would you like us to do it for you, and keeps the parts to show you what’s wrong, then you should give them your business. No favours are ever asked by me, and I imagine no favours are made for mr. I have always been of the opinion that if it’s wrong, worn or whatever, then it is. I know people whose vehicles are ‘given’ clean sheets and they have not been. I travel on the continent and this service centre knows it, and I have always said if anything is worn or not as it should be, please let me know. So if you know of a garage/ service centre that gives good service, give them your business, because they are hard to come by.

Last edited by bl52krz; 14th March 2018 at 17:38.. Reason: Extra info.
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 17:56   #16
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

The purpose of the pre-checks is to ascertain that the test vehicle will allow access to all areas.
My routine is to unlock the vehicle, check access via all doors, fuel cap access and check for avoidable smoke from exhaust, also to check if there is anything hanging too low from the underside before driving vehicle over the brake roller test equipment prior to entering the test ramp. If the vehicle fails pre-checks it will become the victim of a "Refuse To Test" This is done to avoid entering info on the DVSA system.
The DVSA have a recognised test routine, but this can be performed to the individuals preferances assuming they carry out the examinations to the required standards.
My last qc went through with flying colours.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 18:24   #17
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Default Diesel Dick

75 tourer copperleaf 51 plate also sailed through test to day clean pass.Shows it pays to give it a good checkover prior to test
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 08:25   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default MOT Reminder

When your MOT is due get a reminder sent by text or email link below.

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

ad altiora tendo.

Old 10th April 2019, 21:48   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default Mot pass

The NUK Tourer had it's first mot in my ownership today, pleased to say the work I have done on it since I purchased it in November 2018 as paid off with a pass & no advisories.

I still have a few jobs to sort out like finding a good lower engine mount with a letter T on it, then paint the calipers the rest is all done cheers Arctic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10525.jpg (122.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10526.jpg (120.6 KB, 53 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Old 10th April 2019, 21:57   #20
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
The NUK Tourer had it's first mot in my ownership today, pleased to say the work I have done on it since I purchased it in November 2018 as paid off with a pass & no advisories.

I still have a few jobs to sort out like finding a good lower engine mount with a letter T on it, then paint the calipers the rest is all done cheers Arctic
By the cringe, those emission figures are a bit.......good Steve.

I'm hoping to emulate your MOT results when I take the old man's tourer in tomorrow or Friday.

Nice one.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote