Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th March 2019, 20:52   #31
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
I did nearly 800 miles last autumn on trip to Disneyland, absolutely no issues either with the car or the French roads (Paris suburbs excepted!!). Mine had nearly 199k on the clock at the time and without pushing it hard it still did the 300 miles from Roscoff to Paris in 4 hours.
Coming home, due to an accident on the A12, we had about an hour to do the last 145km to Le Havre and made it just
These cars are built for doing long distance trips in comfort.

Just make sure you have the required travel kit, a reasonable selection of tools, service it prior to traveling and you should be fine.
you must have been going some to do it in that time

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 21:03   #32
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Emiel. Yes. The roads here are disgusting. It’s become a game of dodge the pothole. Even on the m/way you can hit big potholes. We have had three potholes out side our house for over twelve months. One has been ‘repaired’ four times in a fashion I could do better myself. I even watched and took a picture and showed the councillor. I am afraid that as long as we put up with this system of potholes being repaired to a substandard degree, it can only get worse. Pothole repair in GB must be making some people millionaires. And thanks for the info on the roads over there. I have been to Breskins and Wassenaar twice, and thought the roads were quite good. No wonder if you pay the most road tax in Europe. See you when we come to the Classic at Boxtel.
Old 24th March 2019, 21:11   #33
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
I've seen potholes and huge roadworks in Germany, appalling roadsense in Italy and both in America, as well as massive traffic jams in France, it's not just here
Likewise, in Italy I had an absolute shocker of a trip in a Land Rover Defender with 8 others in the back, and with a boat on the roof.
We were only going a few miles up into the alps to go on a trip white water rafting. I felt safer in the river!

In 2001 I went on coach trip to Poland through what was the former East Germany. Many of the 2 lane motorways were the same concrete sectioned autobahns that Hitler had constructed in the 1930s. Fortunately the roads had outlasted the Nazis by 60 odd years. However the East had no money to upgrade them so they had been driven into a pretty poor condition. All the joints between the concrete had worn away leaving masses of potholes about every 30m. It made driving awful. It was thud bang, thud bang, thud bang, continuously as vehicles moved along the road. After the German unification the government was gradually resurfacing the roads etc but some sections were still to be done.

The technique to make driving more bearable was that everyone and everything drove in the outside lane. Over the years this lane had seen less traffic and was in a slightly better condition. When a faster vehicle wished to overtake they caught up with the vehicle in front of them and gave a few flashes of main beam. The slower vehicle would then move into the inside lane, the faster vehicle would go past, and then slower vehicle returned to the outside lane again. This process went on for miles and everyone seemed to understand it quite well, and it actually worked ok and traffic flowed as well as possible There were no middle lane hoggers out there!

It was a bit of an eye opener really into the way things were.

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 24th March 2019 at 21:14..
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 07:02   #34
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
Likewise, in Italy I had an absolute shocker of a trip in a Land Rover Defender with 8 others in the back, and with a boat on the roof.
We were only going a few miles up into the alps to go on a trip white water rafting. I felt safer in the river!

In 2001 I went on coach trip to Poland through what was the former East Germany. Many of the 2 lane motorways were the same concrete sectioned autobahns that Hitler had constructed in the 1930s. Fortunately the roads had outlasted the Nazis by 60 odd years. However the East had no money to upgrade them so they had been driven into a pretty poor condition. All the joints between the concrete had worn away leaving masses of potholes about every 30m. It made driving awful. It was thud bang, thud bang, thud bang, continuously as vehicles moved along the road. After the German unification the government was gradually resurfacing the roads etc but some sections were still to be done.

The technique to make driving more bearable was that everyone and everything drove in the outside lane. Over the years this lane had seen less traffic and was in a slightly better condition. When a faster vehicle wished to overtake they caught up with the vehicle in front of them and gave a few flashes of main beam. The slower vehicle would then move into the inside lane, the faster vehicle would go past, and then slower vehicle returned to the outside lane again. This process went on for miles and everyone seemed to understand it quite well, and it actually worked ok and traffic flowed as well as possible There were no middle lane hoggers out there!

It was a bit of an eye opener really into the way things were.
Can find people here on motorways that drive in middle or outside until flashed

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 09:02   #35
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Can find people here on motorways that drive in middle or outside until flashed

macafee2
And then carry on driving there regardless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
you must have been going some to do it in that time

macafee2
Yes wasn't hanging around The Mrs was getting a bit twitchy and didn't want to miss the overnight Ferry back to blighty.

Once the accident was cleared it was quite empty, and the last 30 miles into Le Havre the road was almost brand new, it's an excellent stretch of motorway. It's good to know the cars will still do that if and when required.
In France it's amazing though that no matter how fast you are travelling, there will almost always be somebody in a old, knackered looking 1.2 Clio wanting to overtake you!
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 22:18   #36
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I agree with you about the roads in Italy. The only way to get about in Italy is on the m/ways. It was cheap enough in 2006 when we went, but we made three friends there and they say how prices have gone up over the last few years.
Old 25th March 2019, 22:28   #37
sjr
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 & Ford Mustang 5.0 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Fuel bill must be interesting.
Yes, it will be a little scary, but it tows the caravan so well.

SJR
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote