Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd October 2018, 12:15   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Frequented crabmill many times, one of the proper scrapyards, like others have said, these places will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:03   #12
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Talking about health and safety Whites scrap yard near me have gone all “elf and safety” by issuing you a with a high vis jacket with a £5 deposit before you enter the yard.
Problem is they are covered in black oil and are torn to shreds! More like low vis! I doubt many get nicked!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:15   #13
respace
Avid contributor

Rover 75

There's still at least one in Dorset with the attendant stacked cars and mud as described, it's midway between Dorchester and Yeovil off A37. Last time I went there was even a fat bloke with a fag, and several helpful Polish lads doing all the work!
Can't remember the name though, might be Angels or even Crooks (i kid you not, please feel free to make the associations!)
respace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:20   #14
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Oh how I miss our scrappy "Crabmills" where you spoke to some fat bloke dragging on a fag, stubble on his chin and covered in oil even tho its 8.30 am and he hasnt done a stroke!
He points you off into an abyss of cars all piled up and in 3 foot of mud, old car mats and water. You manage to find your car and as usual its the one on the top. You clamber up the sides using door handles as leverage and finally poke your head into the footwell of the said car at the top. Your greeted with mildew more rain water and half the interior is missing and the bloke who owned the car hasnt hoovered it in 20 years. Eventually you wonder around squeezing past various DIY mechanics and "jobbers" pulling various parts from engine bays and rear axles. Finally you see a decent car and hastily walk over dodging the dog Shyyte left overnight from the huge oil covered hairy alsatian and bingo your Radiomobile 3 Watt speakers are nicely cut into the rear shelf of the donor car. You whip them out whilst gingerly filling your pockets and socks with bulbs and fuses and wonder over to the counter. "What you got there mate?" as the bloke speaks whilst still dragging on the worlds thinnest roll up and you reply 2 speakers mate.
"A few quid will do Son" and you gingerly pull a few coins out of your pocket hoping not to drag any bulbs out at the same time!
A quick walk to your car whilst trying to drag all the oil mud and shyyyte off your shoes on the rare grass verge that hasnt been contaminated in oil or other noxious substances.....
Yes I miss those Sunday mornings!
That’s what our local scrappie, Pringle’s was like. You had to sign a disclaimer on entry and time out on exit, in case you hurt yourself climbing over the vehicles, which like Crabmills, were 3 high, and sometimes 3/4 stacks deep .
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:54   #15
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Puts me in mind of my first attempt at haggling, at the tender age of 19 or so.

I needed a fuel tank for my trusty (rusty!) Cortina MkII 1600GT. Off to the scrappy at Sunbury where I manage to find a suitable example, complete with about half a gallon of petrol swilling about in it .

I took it over to the gaffer - a very large bloke in a dirty white vest, complete with ciggy in his mouth. "Fifteen quid mate" he says. Full of youthful confidence, I looked him in the eye and told him there was a scrappy down the road that would let me have one for a tenner (there wasn't). He didn't blink, flinch, or hesitate, he just replied "Well 'eff of down there and get it then".

I gave him the fifteen quid .

Cliff
There's a joke based on the above that I always recall.

So you say that the scrap yard down the road sells Cortina fuel tanks for a tenner and the scrappy man asks why you don't go there and buy one. You reply that they don't have any in stock.

Quick as a flash, the scrappy man says that when he doesn't have any in stock his are only a tenner as well
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:27   #16
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Well this is very fitting , my Daughter has just come home from work and showed me a swelling and bruise just under her right eye What have you done ??? She opend the hatch on her Focus and the stays that were fairly weak finnaly gave way , so off to the scrappys i go but this time im not comming from there with an oily leg .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:42   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

WOW. Interesting thread this.

Lots of older folk posting.--Lol.

A real trip down memory lane. Up to my eyebrows in muck and bullets.

Taking home gearboxes, part engines and suspension parts to feed my in between jobs job.----

Working in the road with a scaffold tube tripod hoist set up.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS.------------------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 20:17   #18
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

What's sad about all this is... the breakers in question would often come up with marketing gimmicks to get people through the doors/gates. The best promotion was an all you could carry for £30 weekend, if you could carry your hoard 12ft without dropping anything, then its yours for £30... Priceless.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 20:21   #19
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

Working in the road with a scaffold tube tripod hoist set up.

That's way too posh, try a length of rope with a piece of wood that you spun around to 'lift' the engine up
Old 2nd October 2018, 20:27   #20
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Yet another problem for us poor southerners trying to keep our old MG Rovers on the roads, both our local car breakers have now closed their doors.

Charles Trents closed their DIY parts section to the public just a few days ago after 90 years of serving us Dorset folk our other car breakers yard Avon Forest closed their doors some years ago, so Trents was our last resource for walk-in local second-hand car parts.

There has been a significant reduction in demand for self service DIY parts down here in Bournemouth and Poole, so Charles Trents are now concentrating on off-the-shelf parts, more so the newer vehicle parts. You will not find any old MG Rover parts taking up valuable shelf space, there cant be many of these vehicles left in our area any more.

The situation is pretty much due to these new modern people buying/leasing new cars and not/cant maintain their own vehicle, instead they are taking their vehicle to a local garage dealer to have new parts fitted.

The government and vehicle manufactures are getting their own way its seems.
I know the feeling mate. 3 of our local scrappies closed over the last few years who were very good for this marque due to environmental issues and mr health and safety.
One in particular always had ZTs and R75s and he let you take parts off the cars yourself. When he shut down he must have had 4 or 5 in the yard and closed with little warning

Now only the big ones survive and they dont keep this marque when it comes in they send them straight to the crusher. .
I heard of a ZT in the local Plymouth one. Went down and he had sent the car to the crusher!

I could always lose half a day rummaging around. Not now Im afraid

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888

Last edited by jonc3725; 2nd October 2018 at 20:38..
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote