Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th November 2017, 08:25   #21
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Just a thought, the boiling time can vary due to freshness of the eggs really fresh egg takes a bit longer..

Poached egg is a bit more foolproof, a few drops of vinegar in the water keeps the egg together, water just under the boil spin the water with a spoon, drop the egg in close to water with a cup.

It's not an eggsact science though
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:46   #22
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

I personally have an egg cooker, don't know what type (and probably different to the current model anyway).

Takes 6 eggs, you put a required amount of water in (based on number of eggs and hardness you want) and just turn it on, goes ding when all the waters boiled and its done.

BTW the spam links I inserted into my forums posts have been removed and I am now banned.
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 23:09   #23
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverTailor View Post
I personally have an egg cooker, don't know what type (and probably different to the current model anyway).

Takes 6 eggs, you put a required amount of water in (based on number of eggs and hardness you want) and just turn it on, goes ding when all the waters boiled and its done.
Wow. Just a tad late with your post. Those eggs are going to be really hard.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 17:42   #24
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

according to some top chefs you have to make sure the water is boiling hot , then use a table spoon to put the eggs into the pan, dont just drop em in ,then time it for five minutes and you will have the perfect egg perfect for soldiers etc
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 07:32   #25
75RogP
Regular poster

MGB Roadster

My wife is quite a food critic when it comes to boiled eggs and as it is my job to boil the eggs I usually come in for some ear ache. The eggs are too soft, too hard, the wrong colour, shape, size, don’t fit the egg cups properly... To save our marriage I invested in one of these things and I must say it works brilliantly. The eggs are still too hard, too soft etc. etc. but I can now blame you Harry. So many thanks for alerting me to this marriage saving device.
75RogP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 09:40   #26
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I love the occasional boiled egg and toast soldiers. I have just never been able to get them right before, either too runny or far too hard - total pot luck, so I usually concede defeat and beg a female to do one, but even then they may not be quite right.... None could even explain properly, the timing process they used.

I recently heard about a colour change egg timer. You pop it in the pan, add cold water and the egg(s), then just watch the gadget as the colour changes and the boundary works its way in along a marked scale.

You just stop the process, when it reaches your chosen mark.

It came out absolutely spot on

Jean, in a past life a pro-cook, was quite sceptical, but I had researched their use before hand.

Egg and timer in the pan, add cold water to well cover, then just place on the stove and watch for the colour change boundary hitting your mark. Then take the egg out and run under cold water to stop the egg cooking further.

Thanks to this gadget, I am now an eggspert
Very well done!, course the challenge is finding a REAL egg, not the ubiquitous so called 'free-range' type of egg, I have yet to taste a real genuine free range egg the kind that came from a real genuine free to roam in the back garden to our house hen, in the days of my childhood back in the old country, the key is what the hen eats, commercially produced eggs are not the real thing, they lack flavour, and that is the important point, commercially produced food has all the flavour of hay, the food manufacturers have been pulling the wool over people's eyes for decades, ah well that is progress. But well done for getting the process of egg boiling just perfect, that will at least improve matters, very few people can do this, some may not even know what an egg is.!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 09:51   #27
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Very well done!, course the challenge is finding a REAL egg, not the ubiquitous so called 'free-range' type of egg, I have yet to taste a real genuine free range egg the kind that came from a real genuine free to roam in the back garden to our house hen, in the days of my childhood back in the old country, the key is what the hen eats, commercially produced eggs are not the real thing, they lack flavour, and that is the important point, commercially produced food has all the flavour of hay, the food manufacturers have been pulling the wool over people's eyes for decades, ah well that is progress. But well done for getting the process of egg boiling just perfect, that will at least improve matters, very few people can do this, some may not even know what an egg is.!

A couple of years ago we spent a couple of weeks holiday, looking after some pet hens, whilst the owner took their own holiday away. We were told to take as many eggs as we liked and give the rest away. We just didn't like the eggs at all, gave them all away and bought our supplies from the shops.

Part of the issue, is that our sense of taste deteriorates as we age. The smell or taste of vinegar was to me terrible until a few years ago, I used to take lemon juice on my F&C's - now I actually like vinegar since the past few years.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 14:22   #28
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

One year five months and 27 posts about boiling an Egg. Quite Eggsasperating.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 15:40   #29
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
A couple of years ago we spent a couple of weeks holiday, looking after some pet hens, whilst the owner took their own holiday away. We were told to take as many eggs as we liked and give the rest away. We just didn't like the eggs at all, gave them all away and bought our supplies from the shops.

Part of the issue, is that our sense of taste deteriorates as we age. The smell or taste of vinegar was to me terrible until a few years ago, I used to take lemon juice on my F&C's - now I actually like vinegar since the past few years.

I agree fully with the decline in taste etc as we age, vinegar as we know it is just not that, being of course diluted acetic acid, coloured with caramel!. My grandmother made her own genuine vinegar directly from wine which gives the stuff great flavour, but you have to make sure the wine stayed free of undesirable microbes or you end up with a mess, the final vinegar should be a lovely pink colour, mixed with good virgin olive oil and fresh herbs to flavour salad.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote