Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th March 2019, 15:38   #21
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Fingerprint on Android starting from version 6.0 provides much better protection on a phone. However, you need to be aware of two things:
1. You cannot allow secondary entrance to phone in form of let say PIN, as that will be back door to phone; in the same time you are facing problems opening your phone if for any reason your finger skin becomes wet or differently unreadable to phone
2. You are leaving whole bunch of fingerprints on your phone while holding it, even if you put phone in some form of case. Professional will can use these left fingerprints from your phone to enter the phone by fingerprint.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:13   #22
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The trail has gone cold on this despite initial high hopes of a result from CCTV. Tesco claim to have nothing on CCTV even though it is a big Tesco Extra store and literally heaving with dozens of cameras. It may be so as there are no guarantees with CCTV but more disappointing is the distinct lack of enthusiasm that I've sensed from Tesco re this incident. As a consequence I don't have much confidence in it's actions if it has undertaken any at all and of that I am at best doubtful.

In contrast the staff at the convenience store where the cash was withdrawn from the machine were champing at the bit to help. We gave the exact time of the withdrawal to them and they apparently spent at least 40 mins looking at their footage to no avail. Not one person was seen to use the machine but the bank was certain of the timing so how could it be? Well they had another store in the same precinct which they think must have been the target so a quick phone call later and ... Zilch! The camera in the other store was down at the time.

I believe that the police have said case closed to my sister but could there be an ember of hope? I say that because I was looking at the stolen phone's account a short while ago and I noticed 2 signs of use which occurred after the phone was stolen. Two calls were made to a Liverpool landline or maybe they were attempted calls which were blocked by Plusnet as zero minutes are showing for both calls in duration. Plusnet have supposedly blocked the sim and the phone's 2 IMEI's so it is interesting that any attempted use of the phone might still register on the system and show in the relevant account. I wonder if it is standard for this to happen. Hmm?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:24   #23
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

How did they get the pin code for the initial withdrawal of £250. ???

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 15:51   #24
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

How was the cash withdrawn without a pin number? Only the thief will know for definite but a possibility could be a result of what I suspect many people do or have done and my sister is among them. Some rarely use their cards so might have difficulty remembering the pin, what do they do? Maybe carry it with them hidden in a diary but regardless of how they might jumble the numbers up to try to encrypt it what is not obvious to them might not be so to others.

I've met a few number crunchers like data analysts and statisticians and what they have in common is not only the ability to work with numbers but an uncanny ability to spot trends and permutations within them. Some thieves I suspect are equally adept in their chosen vocation so it might not be as safe as you might imagine to carry any reference to a pin number on your person - like my sister had in her diary.
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:03   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
How was the cash withdrawn without a pin number? Only the thief will know for definite but a possibility could be a result of what I suspect many people do or have done and my sister is among them. Some rarely use their cards so might have difficulty remembering the pin, what do they do? Maybe carry it with them hidden in a diary but regardless of how they might jumble the numbers up to try to encrypt it what is not obvious to them might not be so to others.

I've met a few number crunchers like data analysts and statisticians and what they have in common is not only the ability to work with numbers but an uncanny ability to spot trends and permutations within them. Some thieves I suspect are equally adept in their chosen vocation so it might not be as safe as you might imagine to carry any reference to a pin number on your person - like my sister had in her diary.

Thieves watch over your shoulder as you make a withdrawal and type in the pin, or make a payment, then steal the cards knowing the pin. They also fit gadgets to ATM's, to record the pins. Later they grab the card and handbag or wallet.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:52   #26
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quite a few people carry the PIN next to the card. When our cash machine broke, you had to go to the post office. I regularly used to see people take out a bit of paper with the number on it, often right next to the card.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:55   #27
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Yes Harry, some of them are devious and very-well practiced in what they do. I will contact Plusnet to enquire about the 2 suspect post-theft activities with the stolen phone and maybe contact a phone repair shop in the shopping precinct where the cash was withdrawn. Bit of a long shot but if the thief is local to that area then maybe, just maybe, contact has been or might be made soon with that shop re the stolen Blackview P2 mobile phone. Once all possible leads and avenues are exhausted then I might be able to put the matter to bed.
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:08   #28
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Quite a few people carry the PIN next to the card. When our cash machine broke, you had to go to the post office. I regularly used to see people take out a bit of paper with the number on it, often right next to the card.
I know and it is not ideal for people to do it. My sister is cutting herself up for doing something along those lines but ultimately the only person who is really responsible when something like this happens is the one who chooses to commit the theft. We are having to remind her of this at the moment.
Old 3rd April 2019, 20:54   #29
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I know and it is not ideal for people to do it. My sister is cutting herself up for doing something along those lines but ultimately the only person who is really responsible when something like this happens is the one who chooses to commit the theft. We are having to remind her of this at the moment.
It really annoys me to see people like your sister getting done out of their hard earned money. Easy pin numbers to remember probably can get tried. Like 1111 or 3333 by the thieves taking pot luck before the bank locks them out.
Perhaps double numbers would be much more difficult but easy to remember like---8844 or 2299.

I'm fortunate in having a photographic memory for numbers.

I have all the families phone numbers in my head, both land lines and mobiles plus all my bank account numbers, nation insurance numbers etc.

I've even got phone numbers and car reg numbers from 50 years ago. Just can't forget them.

I have even had folk I'm out with ask me for their home phone number so they can phone their wife or husband.---

I hope that something will come out of your detective work to help relieve the stress you must be under for the loss of those items of value.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 20:43   #30
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

I think you might be right re double numbers Colvey or indeed any which are more recognisable to the card owner. I tend to think that some who carry a written reminder might do so because they may have accepted the stock pin as supplied by their bank and which they have nothing in memory which they could associate with it. The use of things like birth dates, house numbers and age etc. are often advised against but I think that is more secure than carrying a written pin reminder with a card.