Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2020, 20:57   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home
 
HarryM1BYT's Avatar
 
75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garforth, W. Yorks
Posts: 16,936
Thanks: 2,133
Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default Towing season soon..

So in preparation, I went out to open the gas locker to check my gas bottle was as I remembered it - full. It was, but the gas strut which helps raise the locker lid on my Bailey, had failed and was blathered in leaked fluid.

I couldn't see an obvious strength marked on the failed strut, but I could measured the open length and see the end connection type, 400mm and a right angle to the strut thread, so I took a chance and ordered pair on ebay, for £12.99 of the correct type and size, where no strength was indicated.

Fitted yesterday and the strength seems about right for the job.

Just waiting for weather to pick up now and the caravan can have a good scrub up, to get all the moss of it. I have never known so much moss appear on it, as it has this past year parked in my drive..
__________________
Harry

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 22:06   #2
reworht
This is my second home
 
reworht's Avatar
 
Honda CRV

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Yorks Moors
Posts: 13,927
Thanks: 710
Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,420 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post

Just waiting for weather to pick up now and the caravan can have a good scrub up, to get all the moss of it. I have never known so much moss appear on it, as it has this past year parked in my drive..
Mine also is more or less green all over - maybe down to a mild back end and Winter up to now?
__________________


Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 09:12   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home
 
HarryM1BYT's Avatar
 
75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garforth, W. Yorks
Posts: 16,936
Thanks: 2,133
Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
Mine also is more or less green all over - maybe down to a mild back end and Winter up to now?
Yes, it has been very mild. My drive and paths are the same, covered in moss too. I'm just waiting for the better weather, to get the pressure washer out..
__________________
Harry

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 21:38   #4
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 10,323
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 2,052 Times in 1,438 Posts
Default

As caravans have a tendency to leak I had a caravan port built.
My front garden is just about all moss by the look of it.

I will be replacing the caravans tyres soon as 5 years old. Don't know why they suggest caravans tyres are changed at 5 years but no others. £75 each.

I also put my caravan on axle stands over winter to let the suspension rest.

Cant wait to get away and relax, caravanning, I don't think for me there is a better holiday.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macafee2 For This Useful Post:
Old 1st February 2020, 10:06   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home
 
Jim Jamieson's Avatar
 
Rover less !

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tarbolton
Posts: 3,421
Thanks: 393
Thanked 872 Times in 529 Posts
Default

Yes thereís nothing like it to soothe the mind when the rain just starts to drizzle as you hitch up to go away then turns to a gentle downpour on arrival at the site, not to mention the delightful pitter patter on the roof as yo are trying to get to sleep during the night.

Mine is completely covered in a soft green layer but thatís my Protec cover which allows me to literally go straight out onto a site if I so desired but obviously I have to check it over and re stock it with Gin and Wine

Roll on the good weather.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2020, 22:11   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home
 
HarryM1BYT's Avatar
 
75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garforth, W. Yorks
Posts: 16,936
Thanks: 2,133
Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Yes thereís nothing like it to soothe the mind when the rain just starts to drizzle as you hitch up to go away then turns to a gentle downpour on arrival at the site, not to mention the delightful pitter patter on the roof as yo are trying to get to sleep during the night.
The pitter patter of rain on the roof was always the best part for me, tucked up warm in bed and it helped send me to sleep. I don't hear it so much in modern caravans, because they are so well insulated, it suppresses the noise.
__________________
Harry

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 2nd February 2020 at 10:09..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 18:53   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home
 
roverbarmy's Avatar
 
1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East Norfolk
Posts: 4,877
Thanks: 386
Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,009 Posts
Default

Easter week usually sees a couple or more caravans flipped on the A17 and A47 (gateway to the Broads), usually caused by blown tyres. The roads usually end up with textiles and matchwood scattered all over. I've seen caravan chassis' on their sides with towing vehicles rear ends in the air. Do those checks folks. Don't stint on tyres.
__________________
Oil in my veins!
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 15:57   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home
 
HarryM1BYT's Avatar
 
75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garforth, W. Yorks
Posts: 16,936
Thanks: 2,133
Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I will be replacing the caravans tyres soon as 5 years old. Don't know why they suggest caravans tyres are changed at 5 years but no others. £75 each.
I would guess that, is because car tyres tend to need replacement anyway before five years, due to wear. Caravan tyres tend not to wear much at all, so just need replacing through old age..

There is no law which demands they be replaced at that age and in many cases is probably over cautious, but much depends on how they are looked after, how UV they have been subjected to. One thing to be wary of, is being sold tyres which have been held in stock for years. The 5 year age limit suggestion includes time they may have sat on a dealers shelf.
__________________
Harry

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2020, 09:07   #9
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 10,323
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 2,052 Times in 1,438 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I would guess that, is because car tyres tend to need replacement anyway before five years, due to wear. Caravan tyres tend not to wear much at all, so just need replacing through old age..

There is no law which demands they be replaced at that age and in many cases is probably over cautious, but much depends on how they are looked after, how UV they have been subjected to. One thing to be wary of, is being sold tyres which have been held in stock for years. The 5 year age limit suggestion includes time they may have sat on a dealers shelf.
local dealer can supply from their supplier but they are 4 1/2 months old, in truth I don't think that will be a problem but I'd have preferred not more then 2 months.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 18:08   #10
Discofan
Loves to post
 
Discofan's Avatar
 
(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Stuck in the 1980's
Posts: 385
Thanks: 109
Thanked 120 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
As caravans have a tendency to leak I had a caravan port built.
My front garden is just about all moss by the look of it.

I will be replacing the caravans tyres soon as 5 years old. Don't know why they suggest caravans tyres are changed at 5 years but no others. £75 each.

I also put my caravan on axle stands over winter to let the suspension rest.

Cant wait to get away and relax, caravanning, I don't think for me there is a better holiday.

macafee2
The caravan tyres generally sit on one portion for long periods of time, potentially flat spotting them. They deteriorate through sun, rain etc. Small price to pay to keep your van safe on the road and your holiday plans intact.
What I found to my cost last season was the gas hose between cylinder and regulator had perished and was leaking (caravan 7 years old). It was Good Friday and just arrived on site and was setting up, and I was lucky to find a caravan dealer had one only 15 miles away!
Well worth a check before setting off.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discofan For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd