Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2017, 09:10   #11
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Its the guys personal opinion, he is right, there are some right dogs of 75s out there, with all sorts of problems, we Rover lovers will not accept anything detrimental said about our cars it is a fact of life, I love both my cars but the first serious thing that goes wrong with them they will be gone out of my life.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 09:21   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I've spent a fair bit on service items (parts only) but have managed to do everything myself (apart from the new head gasket due to a bad back and knee problem at the time). A couple of door and lock niggles also fixed myself. Much of the rest has been cosmetic issues to make it more "minty"! It runs just about every day and will continue to do so. It is one of the last to be made ( 05 ) so I shall continue to enjoy it as long as poss.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:56   #13
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I have run mine for nearly 16 years since new and can honestly say I have never had a wet carpet. Tailgate drip, cured by new rubber seal, worn driver's side rubber seal, 1 clutch change and of course the belts as per the book. Rear springs (twice) and front wishbones (once). Bonnet gas springs and front drop links. Rebuilt my VIS motors once. Exhaust back box once. Thermostat and associated plastic pipes and seals. IPK LED display renewed. Thats it, apart from routine tyres and servicing. I have no complaints.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 10:16   #14
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
The OP is being overly harsh. When comparing to similar ages cars, and newer come to that, the problems are across all manufacturers. Simple fact is they’re getting old. The benefit is that this great forum has members who have experienced the vast majority of the issues between them and as a result there’s the fixes published.

Water ingress......never had an issue, other than a very minor sunroof drain leak. My Vectra on the other hand. My sons Corsa actually sloshes going round corners!

As a previous poster stated, it’s a direct result of robbers and foam strips breaking down with use and age. All cars suffer this. My 75 has been the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. It’s now 13 years old and will hopefully see the same again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesnt surprise me other one they cocked up so much that they've caleed it a JOKE!!
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 10:22   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi, bit of a contradiction really, sound engine and gearbox then, you mention throwing in second hand motor and or gearbox.

Don't think the 75's are more or less better or worse than most modern cars available over the past 10 to 15 years, they are nice to drive especially on motorways, comfortable with plenty of extras.

They can suffer with clutch problems but so do many other makes such as Ford and Vauxhall, this is more down to design and especially dual mass flywheels, slave cylinders inside the gearbox. Repair cost again is more or less the same for all makes.

Water ingress can be a problem though, it can be rectified as can sticking door locks, I'm running a Passat and get rain water in both foot wells when it rains, the rubber matt's catch it.

With any car of 10 years plus you will have to keep on top of the maintenance, in the case of the 75's it's no different however, with this forum you have access to a huge knowledge base to help you.

Consider also the price at which you can buy one, they represent great value for money, a lot of car for not a lot of money.

Merry Xmas.
With the Passat, especially if it is a b5 or 5.5, clear the plenum drains, especially the middle one. And check the condition of the brake master cylinder. They were notorious for this even at just a year old! Subsequent models are affected I was told, just not as bad. (Also if it is the 5 or 5.5, remove the wheel arch liners, and remove the sponges between the wings and liners. On my old one they were bare sponge! At least rovers absorption sponges are in plastic bags Lol)

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 10:40   #16
RoverDan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Tourer, Limo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Its the guys personal opinion, he is right, there are some right dogs of 75s out there, with all sorts of problems, we Rover lovers will not accept anything detrimental said about our cars it is a fact of life, I love both my cars but the first serious thing that goes wrong with them they will be gone out of my life.

Rev
I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with the OP at the same time.

I noted on another thread the shocking shockers on the rear of my Tourer, but I had the luxury to push it into the garage for a fortnight and decide what to do. At the same time as seeing the state of the dampers, I noted that the OSR wing had had a mediocre replacement (remnants of old panel now corroding beneath new panel) sometime in its past and that rust will be on ongoing battle unless I go for a rear quarter replacement. Plus it's on 165,000 miles, and the auto box is a bit clunky. So I spent a week looking at alternatives, but realised quickly that you're buying an unknown unknown (true condition and where to go for advice) unless it's in manufacturer warranty still. Price does not reflect mechanical condition or potential for borkage, but does relate to brand image and how good the seller is with shampoo and a sponge

One thing I can't agree with the OP about is the comments about 'learning more about these cars'. This forum is a fantastic resource, to be honest with two 10-15 year old Fords in the family I'd love a similar forum for them, but any useful knowledge is scattered across so many fora, and diluted with so much anecdote and mechanical ignorance.

CDT
auto Club Saloon
CDT
auto Connoisseur SE Tourer
CDT
auto Connoisseur MacNeillie Limousine

Last edited by RoverDan; 20th December 2017 at 10:43..
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 12:39   #17
SplendidChap
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Water leaks are all fixable and don't require complex parts. However, as with any car its age, the electrics will be the death knell. When door actuators and ECUs and various other electronics and servos have disappeared off the 2nd hand market, then we'll be stuffed, but that's a good 10 years or more down the road. The problem with these cars, for some folk, is that to keep them in top fettle you end up spending more than they're worth, particularly as they're so cheap right now. Doesn't bother me as I expected it, but if you expected long term luxury motoring on the cheap you're in for a bit of a disappointment.
SplendidChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 13:26   #18
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Quote "...Water leaks are all fixable and don't require complex parts...."

But 'main carpets out' and soaking wet is one of the most unpleasant jobs on any car. And it is not viable to get a garage to do it. And we are not yet accurate and clear about where leaks can occur, given that so very many leaks can occur. I have at least six big leaks on an 06 plate.

So if you take the main carpet out and fix a couple of leaks and put the carpet back in the risk is that the other leaks will start the process all over again.

Not had the problem yet? Of course, not everyone has, but it is only a matter of time unless the car is kept under cover.

So the simple point is that the main knowledge base of Rover 75 enthusiast clubs and forums needs to develop a better and more accurate understanding of the problem and have real fixes ready for people to use.

Last edited by Ed3; 20th December 2017 at 13:28..
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 13:30   #19
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

My cars have always been a bit older, and i must admit i have never had a car that leaks water into the boot as much as the 75. Some silly design with the way the trim clips on in it.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 13:38   #20
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Not had the problem yet? Of course, not everyone has, but it is only a matter of time unless the car is kept under cover.
Might be a long wait. I've had my car for 17 years and 396k miles, and the carpet has never been wet - the nearest it gets is when the dog has jumped in after a rainy walk.

Ed whilst you could be facing the end of your Rover as a useable car for whatever the reason, that doesn't automatically apply to the rest of us!

If you google whatever your car's problems are you will likely find loads of fellow sufferers, but that may not be the majority, or even a significant minority of total users.

My car has other faults, and maybe one will be serious enough to send it to the scrapper in the future, but for now it is very much a useable everyday car, not only for personal but also business use, and a very comfortable one at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
So the simple point is that the main knowledge base of Rover 75 enthusiast clubs and forums needs to develop a better and more accurate understanding of the problem and have real fixes ready for people to use.
Well the knowledge base is derived from the members, so now is your chance to shine and document how you cured your water leaks for the benefit of one and all suffering the same fate.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 20th December 2017 at 13:50..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote