Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2017, 08:20   #1
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Default Rover OEM clutch master cylinders

Who makes the original spec genuine clutch masters for the 75/ZT ? I have bought one through a X-part supplier (e-car parts, Sandy), and it came in a bag with an MG Rover sticker and part number on it (STC105480), and an MG Rover sticker/part number on the pipe, but the MC lid has LUK stamped on it. I was trying to avoid an LUK item, as these have been reported to leak. I thought perhaps Delphi were the original suppliers (the label on the MC I have bought says Made in France).

Any comments ?

Thanks

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:44   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

I have always understood that LUK were the original suppliers

That doesn't of course mean that the ones made today are identical in quality to those made back in the day
Old 23rd June 2017, 14:09   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I have always understood that LUK were the original suppliers

That doesn't of course mean that the ones made today are identical in quality to those made back in the day
I actually phoned e-car Parts this morning to ask them about the OEM part they supplied. They were very helpful - the guy said he thought that LUK were the original manufacturer, and that the item I had bought was an original quality MC (at 149.95 - about 35 pounds cheaper than Rimmers, and less postage !). They also sell an LUK branded master at a lower price (about 120 pounds, I think), but he says this is a lower quality after-market item. He also commented that the clutch hydraulics on the 75 were a bit of a dogs dinner - but we all know that on here don't we ?

Anyway, I have just spent a quick hour or so in the garage bolting on the OEM master - more grazed knuckles to show for it. Routing it through the bulkhead and finding the right path round the pipework at the back of the engine is a bit of a pain, but at least I didn't have to bleed the system after fitting it. A quick run up the road reveals a smooth quiet clutch action, smooth gearchanges, no funny noises or stickiness into third gear that I had with the Tazu with the copper pipe, and I think the pedal is a bit lighter than before. So, OEM clutch master gets my vote, certainly for the diesels. At about 150 pounds, it is almost twice the price of the Tazu, but I think it is worth it for the absence of the copper pipe issues, and slightly easier fitting.

Pete
Old 23rd June 2017, 19:56   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
I actually phoned e-car Parts this morning to ask them about the OEM part they supplied. They were very helpful - the guy said he thought that LUK were the original manufacturer, and that the item I had bought was an original quality MC (at 149.95 - about 35 pounds cheaper than Rimmers, and less postage !). They also sell an LUK branded master at a lower price (about 120 pounds, I think), but he says this is a lower quality after-market item. He also commented that the clutch hydraulics on the 75 were a bit of a dogs dinner - but we all know that on here don't we ?

Anyway, I have just spent a quick hour or so in the garage bolting on the OEM master - more grazed knuckles to show for it. Routing it through the bulkhead and finding the right path round the pipework at the back of the engine is a bit of a pain, but at least I didn't have to bleed the system after fitting it. A quick run up the road reveals a smooth quiet clutch action, smooth gearchanges, no funny noises or stickiness into third gear that I had with the Tazu with the copper pipe, and I think the pedal is a bit lighter than before. So, OEM clutch master gets my vote, certainly for the diesels. At about 150 pounds, it is almost twice the price of the Tazu, but I think it is worth it for the absence of the copper pipe issues, and slightly easier fitting.

Pete
The original manufacturers were AP Lockheed.....if £150 sounds a bit steep, a LHD version found HERE
and swap the pipe from the original RHD version is a considerable saving

By the way, the LUK in genuine Rover plastic bag has been fine for three years fitted to my old man's car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 06:32   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

As Brian says, the original clutch hydraulics on the 75/ZT were AP. The clutch plates were also AP whereas the DMF was an LUK item.

AP clutches are manufactured by Raicam Clutch Ltd in the UK.

It would be interesting to know who manufactured the original OEM AP M/C and CSC as fitted to the 75/ZT. Was it Raicam, Luk or another?

The original M/C on our first CDT was replaced by BS Motors (of which e-car parts is the parts department) along with the clutch with LuK items. It was fine fior 12 months until the car was written off. The M/C on our current CDT was replaced four years ago with an Luk item - it has been perfectly fine since.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 07:40   #6
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The original manufacturers were AP Lockheed.....if £150 sounds a bit steep, a LHD version found ]HERE[/URL]
and swap the pipe from the original RHD version is a considerable saving
Brian

Thanks for the link Brian.

Is the "swapping of pipe" as straight forward as it sounds.... ie you can easily unscrew/rescrew (is that a word?!) the pipe to the cylinder?

Thanks in advance

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 09:44   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout20 View Post
Thanks for the link Brian.

Is the "swapping of pipe" as straight forward as it sounds.... ie you can easily unscrew/rescrew (is that a word?!) the pipe to the cylinder?

Thanks in advance

John
Hi John, the pipe is very easy to change over, there is a roll pin with a split pin though it's centre

Remove the split pin, then press the roll pin out, I tend to use the shank of a pop rivet, but a small screwdriver will suffice, the pipe then simply pulls out from the master cylinder body.

Replacement is a reversal of the process, and this can be done without removing the pipework from the car, making it actually easier than replacing the whole shooting match

Of course you will have to bleed the clutch afterwards, as even though it is prefilled originally, you will lose that once the two halves are separated.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 21:55   #8
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

My LUK master appears to be leaking after 5 years/15,000 miles.

It might just be some runny grease but I don't think so
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 22:16   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Is it true that some of ECP LUK clutch kits have been copies, the kits are branded with LUK retail boxes, but not genuine LUK items. ECP have bought the factory in China which make the copy components, seems there has been quality issues. I was told this from one of ECP customers which have had endless problems with these items, whether this is true or not I dont know.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 11:00   #10
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Is it true that some of ECP LUK clutch kits have been copies, the kits are branded with LUK retail boxes, but not genuine LUK items. ECP have bought the factory in China which make the copy components, seems there has been quality issues. I was told this from one of ECP customers which have had endless problems with these items, whether this is true or not I dont know.
Interesting - my Rover OEM item says Made in France on the label, but with an LUK stamp on the MC lid.

I spoke to a guy at POL who works for JLR, and is involved in supervising production at their factory in China - they try to use some local suppliers out there to make some components, but he said it was a nightmare trying to get them to stick to the JLR quality standards regarding quality of raw materials and production/quality control methods. They just do not have it in their ethos to strive for ultimate quality - if they can do it cheaper and quicker, they will.

Pete