Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2019, 19:16   #1
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Rubber jacking pads + loose protector above exhaust

Hi,
I'm in need of two rubber jacking pads as two of mine are missing. Do they just push in? I'm thinking of sticking them on using some automotive sealant.

Also today I notice that near the tailpipe, underneath the car boot, there is a what looks like a heatshield resting on the exhaust pipe. The end nearer the front of the car is fixed up however the back of this material is drooping down and resting on the exhaust pipe itself. I can't see what was holding it up but assume something must have done this. Please advise on what to do.

Cheers,

Jim
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 19:24   #2
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
Hi,
I'm in need of two rubber jacking pads as two of mine are missing. Do they just push in? I'm thinking of sticking them on using some automotive sealant.

Also today I notice that near the tailpipe, underneath the car boot, there is a what looks like a heatshield resting on the exhaust pipe. The end nearer the front of the car is fixed up however the back of this material is drooping down and resting on the exhaust pipe itself. I can't see what was holding it up but assume something must have done this. Please advise on what to do.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yeah, the jacking pads just push in to the apertures on the under-side of the sills. There's conflicting opinions on whether or not to use sealants in this area - some think that it can increase the rate of corrosion by trapping water inside the sill. They should stay in ok by push-fit. Be careful you don't lose them when getting tyres changed as they can stick to the butt of the trolley jacks used by some garages (which pulls them out).

Sounds like your rear heat-shield has worn bolt holes (due to vibration/corrosion?) and has come down around the bolt/washer fasteners. If you can get some large stainless penny washers, you can probably remove the bolts and refit the shield with the large penny washers (although this will depend upon the size of the holes and the size of the washers)..

Good luck,
Karl.

Last edited by The Mighty Quinn; 18th November 2019 at 19:42..
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 19:32   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
Hi Jim,

Yeah, the jacking pads just push in to the apertures on the under-side of the sills. There's conflicting opinions on whether to use sealants in this area - some think that it can increase the rate corrosion by trapping water inside the sill. They should stay in ok by push-fit. Be careful you don't lose them when getting tyres changed as they can stick to the butt of the trolley jacks used by some garages (which pulls them out).

Sounds like your rear heat-shield has worn bolt holes and has come down around the bolt/washer fasteners. If you can get some large stainless penny washers, you can probably remove the bolts and refit the shield with these (although this will depend upon the size of the holes and the size of the washers)..

Good luck,
Karl.
or the exhaust shield has torn and the bolts still hold part of the shield but the rest has torn away.

Mine had torn and so I braced them and used rivets with washers on the other side of the shield having come through the brace

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 21:54   #4
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks now I understand how the pads are probably lost through jacking / sticking. I thought they might fall out when driving but that make sense now.

I'll have a look underneath tomorrow and will make a large washer or something to put that shield right.

Thanks!
Old 18th November 2019, 23:18   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Thanks now I understand how the pads are probably lost through jacking / sticking. I thought they might fall out when driving but that make sense now.

Quote:
I'll have a look underneath tomorrow and will make a large washer or something to put that shield right.

Thanks!
You will need to fix the heat shield like this below, done quite a few now, I made alloy washers with added penny washer on top, if you just use stainless or metal penny washer it will eat through the alloy again.

this is most likely your heat shield

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 11:09   #6
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the pics. I'm going to wrap up warm and have a go now.
Jim
Old 19th November 2019, 20:48   #7
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Jacked up car and put support in place.

Once car safely supported, I found that the heat shield had corroded away to white powder where the bolt holes were. A fair bit of material was missing so I couldn't use washers.

In place of washers I found some galvanised metal strip which I cut in two and made two supports. The I bolted on with longer M6 bolts from Halfords (£1.70 for 2 bolts ouch!). I've since purchased a selection of bolts from B&M for £2.99.

All done and dusted, thanks for the advice. Yesterday I reaffixed the heat shield nearer the front of the car. Looks nice and tidy now.
Old 19th November 2019, 21:03   #8
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Quote:
Jacked up car and put support in place.

Once car safely supported, I found that the heat shield had corroded away to white powder where the bolt holes were. A fair bit of material was missing so I couldn't use washers.

In place of washers I found some galvanised metal strip which I cut in two and made two supports. The I bolted on with longer M6 bolts from Halfords (£1.70 for 2 bolts ouch!). I've since purchased a selection of bolts from B&M for £2.99.

All done and dusted, thanks for the advice. Yesterday I reaffixed the heat shield nearer the front of the car. Looks nice and tidy now.

Good to hear, Jim. Nice to get these bits sorted out

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 00:07   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Jim.
Nice one you will not be the only member whom will need to do the job/modification on theses cars, I have done quite a few now & expect to do a few more after the winter salt as taken it's toll on the underneath of the cars.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote