Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th August 2018, 06:58   #21
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy72 View Post
Exactly. It's a bit like when someone bought the name and badge for Jensen and produced a 2 seater that was nothing like the interceptor. It's not an MG and has nothing to do with the old company. I can't understand why people buy them if its just to think they are continuing the brand and being loyal to the British car industry because they're not. It's a budget Chinese car with an MG badge.stuck on it.
When we were looking for a replacement car for the wife's Freelander, we looked at a lot of different motors, and the new ZS ticked all the boxes for what she wanted.

Yes it is an MG, ok, it's nothing to do with the original MG, but does that make it wrong? NO. yes, it's a Chinese manufacturer who bought the right to use the MG name and uses it.

How many car companies have bought 'names' ?

And honestly what is wrong with Chinese cars? You all seem to buy other items that are Chinese made or use Chinese components! Are you going to say don't buy Lotus as it's Chinese owned?

If you don't like the new MG range of cars, then fine. Don't buy them. BUT people are buying them and long may they buy them.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 09:17   #22
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’ve been in the trade a long time and I trust my own decision and think I know my way around cars. I drove the range of MG cars last month and was incredibly impressed with the ZS build quality. The panel gaps and feel of the interior was excellent, better than our £20k MINI in fact. MG is not the same company but an evolved version that is now based in China. If you google SAIC you will find they are a huge company responsible for building many things including cars for Volkswagen and Audi so they are capable of quality. Put a top spec ZS against any other brands top spec car and you will find better but not up to 10k better. How impressed was I, impressed enough to order one.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 10:03   #23
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I must admit that my view of the new Chinese MGs was rather jaded, but think I've come to terms with the fact that it's not MG as we like to view it but a completely different entity with a familiar badge.

I now try to view these cars in their own right, and although quite down on their earlier cars, I must admit that they are ok and actually quite reasonable value for money. The new ZS is a pleasant car and definitely moves the brand forward, making the now unavailable MG6 and the current GS look and feel a bit creaky. The MG3 always seemed pretty reasonable, and the new facelifted car due out moves it on, especially with the interior design.

They're getting better, and let's face it, them Chinese learn quick. If they actually got their act together with a strong and sustained advertising campain, they may actually start selling some cars. They have been a bit of a slow burner, but if they keep on progressing as they are then who knows, MGs may again become a common sight. I think they deserve it personally.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 16:05   #24
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
How impressed was I, impressed enough to order one.
Based on the one we've got, you'll love it

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 18:30   #25
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

In a world full of Euro boxes does the badge really matter anymore? £20k budget or £4K budget buy the best you can that suits your needs. Years ago a budget car really was a drastic compromise on quality and performance.
Think of Lada, Skoda and FSO. Shocking cars but sold as they gave people an entry into new cars on a budget.
Dacia and MG along with Ssangyong are making really good value cars and giving us more choice. Good luck to them.
Old 29th August 2018, 11:53   #26
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Had a look at a 2 year old GS for t'other half. She liked the look of it, but the dash, in particular the air con and radio controls, looked basic and dated compared to a 6 year old Fiesta next to it. I had concerns over the paint finish, some of the internal corners, door shuts and edges, and suchlike, had a very thin coat of paint. I could see bare metal speckling through in places.