Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2016, 13:15   #11
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywood.ash View Post
I'm beginning to think the police can't win?

Surely you want them pulling people over. Criminals drive cars of all types.
On this occasion the officer was courteous and I had no real problem with him stopping me, on previous occasions in the past I have been pulled over by arrogant rude ego maniacs who when realising I am just a regular guy then proceed to look for an excuse to charge me with something (always unsuccessfully I might say) which has soured my opinion of the police forever, but this guy was worthy of the job, very professional, just a pity they aren't all like that
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:36   #12
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
On this occasion the officer was courteous and I had no real problem with him stopping me, on previous occasions in the past I have been pulled over by arrogant rude ego maniacs who when realising I am just a regular guy then proceed to look for an excuse to charge me with something (always unsuccessfully I might say) which has soured my opinion of the police forever, but this guy was worthy of the job, very professional, just a pity they aren't all like that
Officers are sometimes, no often, deliberately forward/direct with people to see what reaction they get. I always advise people to be polite and responsive to Police. That way, you pass the "attitude test" and they'll soon move onto someone else. Be nippy with the Police and they have you in their hands or in their cuffs!
Old 3rd April 2016, 14:42   #13
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

The police aren't supposed to stop you for anything unless they have reasonable grounds to suspect an offence, if I understand correctly.
Driving just under the speed limit isn't an offence in my book, so what was wrong?
Pure guesswork shouldn't come into it.
Of course, that won't be a popular view on here, but ah well

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 14:52   #14
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

The last two times (spread over roughly 10 years ) I was stopped by them
I was given the lame excuse that I was apparently weaving all over the road
As an lgv driver of Artics for the previous 30 years I regard myself as a better and more experienced driver than yr average plod
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:03   #15
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon3 View Post
if I understand correctly.
You clearly don't.

Though yours is a common misconception. The police can stop anyone at any time. Just the mere fact of driving a motor vehicle on a road means that you can be pulled over for any reason. Remember, it's a privilege, not a right.

In the case of the OP, as someone else has already said. At 1am, you might expect someone to be going slightly over the speed limit. Quiet roads, hardly anyone about etc.

To be driving under the speed limit would draw attention. It's a fact of life that someone who has had a few shandy's will probably (not always) be a little slower to react and therefore drive at, or just under the speed limit so as not to draw attention to themselves. What they fail to understand of course, is that it has entirely the opposite effect.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:15   #16
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
You clearly don't.

Though yours is a common misconception.
So "sus" laws all over again?
Only we don't complain about it?

Not that it madly bothers me, as I don't drink and drive and haven't been pulled over for nothing since I was a kid.
But when it happens, it's annoying.

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:23   #17
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:

Not that it madly bothers me, as I don't drink and drive and haven't been pulled over for nothing since I was a kid.
Nope, nothing to do with suspicion of anything. Just the simple fact that you're driving a motor vehicle means that you're liable to be stopped, absolutely no reason required.

If offences (or suspicion of them) comes to light once the vehicle has been stopped, then obviously those are investigated/dealt with by means of questions etc., or a fixed penalty notice.

Most officers would want a reason to stop you before they did, but they don't actually need one.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:23   #18
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
You clearly don't.

Though yours is a common misconception. The police can stop anyone at any time. Just the mere fact of driving a motor vehicle on a road means that you can be pulled over for any reason. Remember, it's a privilege, not a right.

In the case of the OP, as someone else has already said. At 1am, you might expect someone to be going slightly over the speed limit. Quiet roads, hardly anyone about etc.

To be driving under the speed limit would draw attention. It's a fact of life that someone who has had a few shandy's will probably (not always) be a little slower to react and therefore drive at, or just under the speed limit so as not to draw attention to themselves. What they fail to understand of course, is that it has entirely the opposite effect.
At least he didn't waste both of our times checking my licence and crawling all over the car, he knew pretty well right away that everything was in order, but on previous occasions I have been given producers for my documents, breathalyzed even though I hadn't had a drop to drink and they have made desperate attempts to find fault with the car, if they take a dislike to you or your attitude they can very likely nick you for something

My first experience of the police was when I was an ATM cashpoint repair man, I was about 22, I arrived at a bank one morning to find the horror of a securicor man bleeding to death on the pavement outside the bank, he later died, an oppourtunist thug had stabbed him and not got a penny

The following day I went to the same bank for another job and outside was a mobile police incident unit, I went straight up to them and expressed my shock and sadness at this dreadful incident and asked if there were any leads, no I was told, had I seen anything I was asked, I explained that I had seen nothing and arrived on the scene just after the event "well have a think about it, something may come to mind and we will come and see you in a couple of days", I agreed although I explained that I was sure I could be of no help.

2 Days later two coppers came to my house, the conversation slowly turned very sinister "I take it you would have knowledge of Securicor van movements as you are a cash machine technician", "have you ever been in trouble with the police?", "How much do you know about cash in transit operations" etc etc, it was horrible, for that reason I would NEVER voluntarily offer to help the police again, you are instantly a suspect, the first thing they will do is check you out, it was a very nasty experience, it makes me realise that if you had any kind of record, they would make your life a mysery with their enquiries no matter how well intentioned you were, no way, never again

Last edited by Mangizmo; 3rd April 2016 at 15:29..
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:24   #19
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
'Sus', short for suspect or suspicion I assume. Being that the real job of the police is to prevent crime when possible, suspicion is one of the main weapons in their armoury.

Where's the problem?

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 3rd April 2016 at 15:26..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:27   #20
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:

Sus law still exists buddy in the form of 'driving without due care and attention'
The theory that the cops can read yr mind and therefore deduce that you weren't concentrating
The only exception to this would be if you were daft enough to admit the charge in the first place
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote