Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2015, 13:28   #1
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Default Kodak All-in-One Wireless Printer

I am selling this for £40. Included in the price is the USB & power cable, an installation disc for Windows/Mac OS and 2 brand new, unused ink cartridges. The cartridges cost £25 all in for colour and black ink. Now SOLD

Reason for sale:

I uploaded Mac 10.10.3 and rather disappointingly, the printer stopped working. I have been around the block to look for a fix without success, but now I have a HP printer which works on the Macbook pro and the other devices, I no longer need the Kodak.

I am taking the printer to the POL and a buyer can collect it from there. I will not be sending this printer out in the post. Cheers .....xxxxx

Here is a review from pcmag.com

Kodak ESP 5250 All-In-One Printer

Editor Rating: Good
Street Price£ 150.00

• Pros

Unusually high-quality text for an inkjet. Fast photo printing. WiFi. Low claimed cost per page.
  • Cons

Relatively slow for business applications. Only a 100-sheet paper capacity. Photos tend to lose details in light areas.
  • Bottom Line

The Kodak ESP 5250 All-In-One Printer offers fast photo printing and high-quality text, but photo quality is at the low end of the scale for inkjets.
By M. David Stone The difference between home and home office multi-function printers (MFPs) keeps getting less and less clear. Where there was once a bright line (as lawyers like to call it) between the two, there's now a wide fuzzy gray area. Few printers make that point as well as the Kodak ESP 5250 All-In-One Printer ($149.99 direct).
Kodak clearly designed the 5250 primarily as a home MFP. Unlike office MFPs, it lacks both fax capabilities and an automatic document feeder (ADF), so there's no easy way to scan legal-size pages (which are too big to fit on the printer's flatbed) or multi-page documents. Yet it offers better-looking text output than most inkjets aimed at office use. The result is a home MFP that can double as a home office printer, if not a full-function office MFP.
The 5250 prints, scans, and copies. It doesn't include an Ethernet connection, but it supports WiFi, so you can share it easily and connect from more than one computer without having to worry about stringing cables from room to room. Its 100-sheet paper capacity limits it to light-duty printing, but that should be sufficient for home use, even with some light-duty home-office printing thrown in.
Interestingly, office-centric features aren't the only thing missing from the 5250. It doesn't offer many photocentric features aimed at home use either. It can print directly from memory cards, and it includes a 2.4-inch LCD for previewing photos before printing, but it won't print from a PictBridge camera or USB key. In other words, it offers fewer features of any kind than you might expect for the price. However that's balanced somewhat by its high-quality text, along with fast speed for photos.
Setup and Speed
Setting up the 5250 for a USB connection is typical for an inkjet MFP. The printer measures 7.1 by 16.6 by 11.7 inches (HWD). It's also unusually light, at 12.5 pounds. Simply set it in place, remove the packing materials, plug it in, and load the two ink cartridges and paper. Then run the automated installation routine from disc and plug in the USB cable when the program tells you to. I installed the printer on a system running Windows Vista. According to Kodak, it also comes with a full set of drivers and software for Windows 7, XP, and Mac OS X 10.4.8 through 10.5.x. In addition, Kodak says you can download a full set of drivers and software for OS X 10.6 from the Kodak Web site.
The 5250 turned in mixed results for speed on our tests—fast for photos, but a little sluggish for business applications. I timed it on our business applications suite (using QualityLogic's hardware and software for timing) at a total of 13 minutes 58 seconds. Just two years ago that would have struck me as being reasonably fast. But that was before the directly competitive—and less expensive—Editors' Choice Epson Stylus NX515 ($149.99 direct, ) smashed all previous records for low-cost inkjets with a total of 8:32. By today's standards the 5250's speed is best described as tolerable.
When it comes to photos, on the other hand, the 5250 is a veritable speed demon. I clocked it at an average of 36 seconds for a 4-by-6 and 1:09 for an 8-by-10. That's the fastest time I've seen for any inkjet MFP. The NX515 slows down to a crawl in comparison, averaging 2:05 for a 4 by 6 and 4:41 for an 8 by 10.
Output Quality
The 5250's results for output quality were also mixed, but in reverse—with high marks for business applications and relatively poor results for photos. In general, text quality is better than most inkjets, graphics are reasonably typical for the breed, and photos are at the low end of the scale.
On our text tests, more than half of the fonts were both easily readable and well formed at five points, some passed both tests at four points, and none needed more than 8 points. Edges weren't as sharp as you would get from almost any laser, which means the text doesn't have the crisp, professional look that you'd want for, say, your resume. For anything short of that, however, you shouldn't have any complaints about the text, even for documents with small fonts.
Graphics were easily good enough for any internal business need, including PowerPoint handouts. Most people would consider them good enough to hand out to important clients or customers as well, at least if you print using high-quality mode. They're certainly good enough for home use for schoolwork, say, or party invitations. I saw some banding in default mode and a slight tendency to lose thin lines, but there wasn't even a hint of banding in high-quality mode, and most printers have far greater problems with thin lines. If you use full-page graphics, however, you'll need to invest in a heavyweight paper. With the plain paper we use in our tests, the ink curled the paper into virtual scrolls.
Photos qualified as true photo quality, but not quite as good overall as I'd expect from drugstore prints. Most people would consider most of the photos in our tests good enough for framing or saving in an album, but some photos were clearly flawed.
I saw visible dithering in the form of mild graininess in several photos and a tendency to lose details in light areas. A light blue sky in one picture turned almost white, for example, making it hard to pick out the clouds or see the edge of a snow-covered mountain peak against the sky. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, you may or may not consider these photos acceptable.
I also saw some problems with black and white photos that I'd call more serious, including slight banding and odd diagonal lines in the dark background of one photo each I time I printed it. If you plan to print black and white photos, in short, don't expect true photo quality from the 5250.
Also note that one black and white photo came out printed in composite black (combining cyan, yellow, and magenta inks) in one test run but with only black ink in five other runs. There was no apparent reason for the printer choosing one mode or the other, since I didn't change any settings, but the results were noticeably different, with the composite black version showing a slight tint.
Warranty and Cost per Page
The 5250's one-year warranty counts as a plus, with Kodak sending a replacement printer first, if you need one, along with a return shipping label, and Kodak picking up the shipping charge in both directions.
Also worth mention is Kodak's claimed low running cost for its printers, since that's what justifies the relatively high initial price. The argument is that compared to a cheaper printer with equivalent features, the Kodak printer saves so much money on ink that it will save you money in the long run.
Whether that's true or depends entirely on how many pages you print. The only way to find out is to calculate the total cost of ownership for each of the printers you're considering, based on the initial cost of the printer plus the total cost of all the pages you expect to print over the printer's lifetime. Unfortunately, the cost per page for the 5250 isn't clear at the moment. Kodak will soon be offering new cartridges, and was not able to provide us with the yield and cost numbers that would let us confirm the internal consistency of its cost per page claim, or whether it's truly comparable to other manufacturer's claims.
In any case, if you're looking for a home MFP, be sure to also take a look at the NX515, which offers a lower initial cost than the 5250, Ethernet as well as WiFi, faster speed for business applications, and better-quality photos. But weigh that against the 5250's faster speed for photos and better-quality text—a combination that's enough to make it a more than reasonable choice regardless of the actual cost per page.
BENCHMARK TEST RESULTS
Check out the test scores for the Kodak ESP 5250 All-In-One Printer.
COMPARISON TABLE
Compare the Kodak ESP 5250 All-In-One Printer with several other MFPs side by side.
More Multi-function Printer Reviews:

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 16th April 2015 at 13:34.. Reason: Sold
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 15:06   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I'll take it Phil, about to throw mine against something hard.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 19:50   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Ooh, I replaced my HP because of the extortionate cartridge prices. Hope you took that into account Phil.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 20:39   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
I'll take it Phil, about to throw mine against something hard.
Thanks Craig, I am heading up to Wolverhampton on Friday to see a trader about a part, then I am back in Birmingham in the afternoon. I believe we are staying in the same hotel. I will pm you my cell phone no

See you there. By the way I looked up the printer on the net and it said that the drivers for Windows 8 can be downloaded for free
Old 15th April 2015, 20:42   #5
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Ooh, I replaced my HP because of the extortionate cartridge prices. Hope you took that into account Phil.
Thanks Steve, PC World are selling the twin pack of 301 cartridges all in for £16. I cant complain about that. Of course we both know, I am the donkey and this is the carrot on the stick

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 16th April 2015 at 06:05..
Old 15th April 2015, 21:40   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks Craig, I am heading up to Wolverhampton on Friday to see a trader about a part, then I am back in Birmingham in the afternoon. I believe we are staying in the same hotel. I will pm you my cell phone no

See you there. By the way I looked up the printer on the net and it said that the drivers for Windows 8 can be downloaded for free
Thank you, PM received. I will look for the drivers. I still use XP on one machine for my CAD programmes, so always fun.

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote