Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th October 2013, 23:24   #1
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Question Anyone in Darlington or York have a Windows 8 install disk I can borrow?

Hi,

After installing Ubuntu onto my Lenovo G580, I now have the situation where Windows refuses to boot and also my BIOS settings have disappeared.

I didn't make any recovery media and the laptop never came with any install disks as it has OKR (One Key Recovery).

The plan is to use a Windows 8 install disk to recover my recovery partition (all my partitions are there, and I can access the files in Ubuntu)so I can get UEFI working again and then I can dual boot from that and not GRUB 2 (something in GRUB 2 is refusing to boot into windows) or if not then at least I can reflash my BIOS as Lenovo only have a Windows 8 EXE for flashing and try as I might I can't extract the bios from it to flash using Ubuntu.

I've already tried boot repair, and it complains secure boot is activated in the BIOS, but as I can't get into the BIOS (I know the F12 key gets me into the boot settings, but the BIOS option has vanished if you google "g580 bios disappeared" it comes up with it, but no solution other than a new motherboard)

You can only get the disk from Microsoft if you have an activation key from your system, mine is locked in the BIOS (part of OEM activation) as they don't put the stickers on the cases anymore so that is a no go.

If anyone has a 64-bit install disk (even Windows PE 4 should do what I want it to do) and live near my home or work, could I borrow it to try?

Regards,

PM77

Last edited by pm77; 27th October 2013 at 23:26..
pm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 10:12   #2
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

I've managed to fix it, and reflash my BIOS as well. Took some serious scripting to get it back.

If anyone else gets the same problem PM me and I'll give them my number. It's easier to talk someone through what I did than type it